spaniels, labradors and........?

bigbird

How serious are you in your shooting ? I`ve been shooting for more years than I care to remember and have not seen a single dog of any breed I would take over a springer, cocker or lab.Shooters have been breeding for generations to get what they consider the right dog for the job and those are the three breeds I mentioned above.

:friends:

I agree. Why look at the less used breeds when the above doge are tried and tested.

Why pay 100s more for one of the obscure breeds when it’s a gamble if it will work at all

Edited by Actionpigeons

Argh I'm not looking at other breeds I've already said I have a labrador,and that I just asked out of interest! Lol

Ok You need to decide what type of shooting you do most of.

I have a cpl of labs and a Springer. I use the labs for pigeon shooting and picking up, and the Springer for beating and working with my hawks.

To be truthful the Springer drives me to distraction as you have to be at Springer’s all the time, but she is very good at what she does.

If I did not beat or fly hawks I would only have labs.

I have a Brittany spaniel,great nose, retrieves well and is a hpr,he works slower and more methodical than an esp,sometimes will not even go in after sticking his nose in the bush as he knows there is nothing there.He works very well on pheasant and woodcock,and i also use him decoying and rabbit shooting.

The breed can be stubborn and even at 4 i sometimes have to remind him who is in charge.

All said i would have another Brittany,big hearts,great nose ,and great workers,who live to be out in the field.