The Wildfowling season 2012 - 2013

Wildfowler

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey we are all having a bad time. Went out tonight and lumped 30 decoys to the flooded area off the sea wall set up and thought to myself how am i going to carry all the ducks i am going to get off!

A while later about 10 canadas came past silent and by the time i saw them they were out of range, but i could hear more coming a smaller

skein was following and with a couple of calls they straightened up and came within 10 yards of me about 25 yards up, long story short 3 shots for

F all. Gun nearly went swimming dog got told to F off and i had my own hissy fit. 1st chance at the geese all season and probably one of the easiest i will have and i cock it up. To make it worse didnt see a duck all flight!!!!

Never mind though i am sure the next flight will be better :hmm:

That made me laugh pal saying dog got told to F off ha ha I went out at the wigeon Saturday evening got five but missed about 8 was well annoyed afterwards

Crikey we are all having a bad time. Went out tonight and lumped 30 decoys to the flooded area off the sea wall set up and thought to myself how am i going to carry all the ducks i am going to get off!

A while later about 10 canadas came past silent and by the time i saw them they were out of range, but i could hear more coming a smaller skein was following and with a couple of calls they straightened up and came within 10 yards of me about 25 yards up, long story short 3 shots for F all. Gun nearly went swimming dog got told to F off and i had my own hissy fit. 1st chance at the geese all season and probably one of the easiest i will have and i cock it up. To make it worse didnt see a duck all flight!!!!

In so few words, the description of events was brilliant, I could see it all happening, just as if I was there, and I also had a good laugh :D , Mrs looked at me as if I was nuts, me being a Wildfowler she's probably right :D

Now you see me - Now you don't!

Weird morning yesterday.

Very strong wind at dawn Sunday. Out on freshwater marsh just behind the sea/river wall. Far too windy for a hide so I sat further back than normal to get in the edge of the reed bed. OK at first. Then, just as it got light, the wind went crazy. Very big gusts which would last for about two minutes - then a lull.

When the gusts came they flattened all the reeds and left me sitting there on my shooting stick. Lull and only my head was visible.

**** law said whenever the ducks were coming the wind gusted!

Got one mallard.

A while later about 10 canadas came past silent and by the time i saw them they were out of range, but i could hear more coming a smaller skein was following and with a couple of calls they straightened up and came within 10 yards of me about 25 yards up, long story short 3 shots for F all. Gun nearly went swimming dog got told to F off and i had my own hissy fit. 1st chance at the geese all season and probably one of the easiest i will have and i cock it up. To make it worse didnt see a duck all flight!!!!

You know they look like they are moving slow, but you got to give them the lead in front...

were you out a couple of seasons ago when i done the same at FRA.....happy memories

You know they look like they are moving slow, but you got to give them the lead in front...

were you out a couple of seasons ago when i done the same at FRA.....happy memories

No mate i wasn't, looking back i can tell you everything that i did wrong. At the time i just panicked as they were geese, if they were duck or clays i have no doubt at least 2 would have dropped.

It's the way they look at you, almost saying give me the gun and you can go and collect them :lol: . We made up after by sharing some custard creams!

There is nothing I love more than being out shooting with my dogs, infact I feel a bit lost without them. Even if they do steal my cup of tea when I'm not looking.

What a week! I was in Moscow this week, flew out Wednesday Morning and there was a light dusting of snow and about -4C, i left the office Thursday at 5 and there was almost half a meter. The roads were chaos meaning the taxi ride back to the airport that should take 1:15 took 4:30, as such i missed my flight!

£1500 later on new flights and hotels for 2 of us and a total of 24 1/2 hours traveling i got home mid afternoon Friday.

So when the alarm went off this morning at 4:15 the last thing i wanted to do was get up... But it was to go fowling after all...

My mate and i sat about 50m apart each with a set of decoys out which worked a treat, the birds came right between us. We ended up with 3 each, we both should have had a couple more but were not on form!

This one is my mate sorting out his decoys...

Some Brents silhouetted

I decided to play with the panorama setting on my Iphone

good pics, love the brents with the sunrise :good: . I have had a good weekend shooting, Friday saw me on an evening flight and then stayed in hope the moon/cloud would be good. The evening flight was rubbish with very few birds moving, as the moon rose i had no cloud but decided to wait around and see what would happen. Loads of wigeon moving but it was difficult to see them, as i was just about to call it a night i saw 3 wigeon moving towards me perfectly silhouetted by the moon, 2 shots and 2 drake wigeon in the bag, the dog made the tricky retrieve as by now the splash i was over was lightly frozen, so he decided to only make 1 trip and picked both at the same time :lol:

Saturday eve i went to an inland flood meadow that i have permission to shoot and there were loads of Mallard about, most out of range as there is about 100 acres of flood water at the minute, but 3 shots put 3 drakes in the bag. So this weekend i have had 5 for 5, a lot better than last weekend on the geese :lol:

good pics, love the brents with the sunrise :good: . I have had a good weekend shooting, Friday saw me on an evening flight and then stayed in hope the moon/cloud would be good. The evening flight was rubbish with very few birds

moving, as the moon rose i had no cloud but decided to wait around and see what would happen. Loads of wigeon moving but it was difficult to see them, as i was just about to call it a

night i saw 3 wigeon moving towards me perfectly silhouetted by the moon, 2 shots and 2 drake wigeon in the bag, the dog made the tricky retrieve as by now the splash i was over was

lightly frozen, so he decided to only make 1 trip and picked both at the same time :lol:

Saturday eve i went to an inland flood meadow that i have permission to shoot and there were

loads of Mallard about, most out of range as there is about 100 acres of flood water at the minute, but 3 shots put 3 drakes in the bag. So this weekend i have had 5 for 5, a lot better than last

weekend on the geese :lol:

So the dog didn't get any abuse then this weekend well done pal

You cant blame the dog for dropping your cup in the marsh mud and complaining "my tea is gritty" :lol:

Very true, there is nothing worse than a gritty cup of char and marsh mud is about the grittiest known to man!

I didn't venture out this week, went pigeon shooting instead but wish I had gone to kirton. I am annoyed for not going.

My dog was in bad books with barold's friend Ian this morning, he will learn not to leave his gloves handy when I have a dog that loves to carry things. Took me 15 minutes to realise she had her first retrieve of the day. I won't mention the 'warm water' Barry managed to fill his chest waders with due to the very cold weather and drinking too much tea !!!!!!

What club? Going for a random guess... LODWA?

I used to be a member of LODWA and THHWA but couldn't justify spending out on 2 lots of subs so stuck with THHWA. Looking to join another one again now but I heard there is quite a big waiting list for LODWA... Anyone got any suggestions?

I used to be a member of LODWA and THHWA but couldn't justify spending out on 2 lots of subs so stuck with THHWA. Looking to join another one again now but I heard there is quite a big waiting list for LODWA... Anyone got any suggestions?

You have PM.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since i've posted one of my trips on here as there hasn't been one that i would call particularly distinguishable... by that i mean there hasn't been any big bags or particularly nice picture opportunities, however Saturdays trip was one i will remember for a while!

My mate and I went out to a fairly remote part of the marsh as the tide was so low at sunrise we had to head for a particular spot that would hold water so we could get some decoys out. The wind was up so the birds were staying low which bought only my second opportunity at mallard all season. A pair came screaming out of the sunrise, i had lined myself up for a left and right but by the time i had got off the first shot i was bent back double to such an angle the second was impossible, but the hen dropped. I can honestly say that was probably the fastest duck i have ever shot!

The morning bought more proprieties for both of us, with a total bag of 7 between us, 1 mallard, 2 widgeon and a teal for me and 3 widgeon for my mate.

We had a bird down over the other side of the estuary so i sent my oldest, more sensible lab (pip) over to retrieve it. She worked the other side for a while but with no joy so i was called here back. at which point a seal popped it head up in the middle of the water. I stopped pip from coming back and made her sit on the other bank whilst we waited for the seal to ****** off. After 5 minuets or so, and no sign of the seal, pip decided enough was enough and went for it, no amount of telling her to go back was going to stop her... so as i changed from telling her to go back, to telling her to come as fast as possible, the seal popped up again, this time 5ft or so to the side of her and right out in the middle of the creek. I mounted my gun with great reluctance, in case it decided to go for her, as pip looked round and realised it was there you could see the panic on her face, then, it slid back down into the water and disappeared. As pip got about 25 yards away the seal popped up again, this time 2ft behind her, by this point she was swimming as fast as she could whilst looking all around. I mounted my gun again and aimed a foot or so behind the seals head and watched as it followed her back. It stooped it head, sped up and dropped below the water line... by now my heart was racing and i had started to wade out so she didn't have as far to go by herself. she got to 15 yards away and could touch the bottom so started to leap through the water and got clear. As she did i turned to my mate to say thank **** for that, within a second or so, he looked truly shocked as the seal came up literally 2-3ft behind me in the shallows and made a huge splash before turning and shooting back into the middle of the channel.

It was probably one of the most nerve racking fowling trips i have ever had...

The pics below were taken after my heart had slowed down a bit!