Why was gun up allowed

ChrisAsh

Tradition dictated that gun down was the only practical way to shoot and the skill was to consistantly mount the gun in the correct position

Why was this Gun Up allowed in Trap and Skeet & sporting, giving a very large advantage to the gun up followers in that they are already mounted

I can understand the reasons for people to go the gun up route to get the best score, but wonder if they feel they are cheating themselves not following the more skillfull method of gun down

I accept that there is Fitas, but that was started after gun up was allowed

Are there any gun down AA shooters, (Not just one inch away from the shoulder)?

Edited by ChrisAsh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll take a guess.

Back in t’olden days gun down shooting was what everyone did when they went bird shooting.

You’d walk around with the gun down and when a bird flew up you’d bring up the gun and shoot.

It was a safety, effort and vision thing that meant you just wouldn’t keep the gun up all the time.

When some clever chap started lobbing clay pots around for people to shoot then some shooters found they could start gun up.

Perhaps they thought it was silly to have the gun down if you knew where the birds coming from.

As it was just a bit of fun and not a competition nobody cared either way.

Only when it started becoming a serious competition did people start asking the question about gun up and gun down – but by then there were already lots of shooters that did both.

Like so many things, I’d say it’s just a trick of history.

I don't know why those cyclists in the velodrome at the Olympics were using lightweight bikes and aerodynamic helmets. Seems like cheating to me. Makes it too easy. Don't even get me started on those racing drivers that are allowed to start from in their cars rather than running to get in them.

I don't know why those cyclists in the velodrome at the Olympics were using lightweight bikes and aerodynamic helmets. Seems like cheating to me. Makes it too easy. Don't even get me started on those racing drivers that are allowed to start from in their cars rather than running to get in them.

Run?

Isn't that something footballers used to do?

The same reason course setters were allowed to throw targets that no longer emulated live Quarry, it turned into a sport then evolved.

It’s also hard to enforce with just 1 ref buttoning, marking and scoring who has to make sure your gun was below a line they have checked is the correct distance from your shoulder before you saw the clay. Olympic Skeet is also gun down and whilst watching it on TV I saw plenty of shooters who had the gun held above the line and not touching proving how hard it can be to enforce, I have also seen FITASC shooters whose line is laughable as its near enough mounted height.

The shooters are not cheating themselves, nor is gun down always a lot more skilful, this is usually banded about by gun down shooters that cannot shoot gun up. A long target that is in view for a long time but you have to wait for it to reach your ideal breakpoint is easier for me to shoot gun down and mount when the clay reaches my gun hold point, a short window target I find easier to shoot gun up.

There are plenty of AA shooters that are also A (top class in FITASC) so gun down is not a problem for them if they so wish.

i had the same many years ago ,we joined a clay club (they were the green welly type ,yellow glasses and tweeds ) and i turned up in my camos and with a 7 shot pump ,just wanted to get a bit of practice in ,then while dusting most of the clays i had a tap on the shoulder and the rather pom puss chap said can you make sure you have your gun up in the ready stance !!! i nicely said "i dont walk around the fields with my gun up " so he went off and left me to it ,a short while later he returned again and asked " what cartage's are you using ,i replied "baikal no 6 " he then in a stuck up voice said "ho no old chap one should only use eley on this ground ,baikal are far to loud "i then told him where to stick is membership and what i thought of him and left ,well i dropped more clays than they did and i think that got up there shirts lol so guns down for me :good:

Edited by pigeon pete

Don't see what the problem is either way really. I probably shoot gun up at 85% of presentations but am just as at home shooting FITASC where it is mandatory.

Shooting gun up is not a backwards step in any way, and it's hardly a skill to mount the gun correctly if you are required to. Do what gets you the most kills on the card, gun up or gun down no one cares afterwards!

i had the same many years ago ,we joined a clay club (they were the green welly type ,yellow glasses and tweeds ) and i turned up in my camos and with a 7 shot pump ,just wanted to get a bit of practice in ,then while dusting most of the clays i had a tap on the shoulder and the rather pom puss chap said can you make sure you have your gun up in the ready stance !!! i nicely said "i dont walk around the fields with my gun up " so he went off and left me to it ,a short while later he returned again and asked " what cartage's are you using ,i replied "baikal no 6 " he then in a stuck up voice said "ho no old chap one should only use eley on this ground ,baikal are far to loud "i then told him where to stick is membership and what i thought of him and left ,well i dropped more clays than they did and i think that got up there shirts lol so guns down for me :good:

Don't be silly :ermm:

Edited by Chard

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Ooooooooooooooooooff course you did.

shooting_suit_w_gun-1.jpg:ermm: