Why was gun up allowed

ChrisAsh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a committed trap shooter I bow down to your superior knowledge. That's where I and many thousands of other trap shooters have been going wrong we've been pre-mounting the gun. Thanks for the head's up Peter - Peter I'll try that next time I go shooting trap.

Here in States gun up is business!

Not everybody knows how to mount a gun correctly so the gun up is the way to go!

Adding a goot gun law keep the business alive.

Both ways , gun up or down, have advantages and down sides but using them properly is the factor that can make a difference.

Orangeclay,

Sorry but that only goes to prove all the shooters in the States have got it wrong for at least the last 60 years!! Read above and you will see one of the UK's most experienced shooter giving us all a masterclass on DTL shooting.

Gun down is the way, now we have had the moat removed from our collective eye I expect to see all trap shooters scoring 100/300 straights. The next problem will be introducing some new handicap so we can get back to a sport were not everyone straightens the layout. What about a Le Mans style shoot, competitors stand behind a line 10 yards behind the shooting stand, shout pull, target is released and you have to run to the stand, load the gun and kill the bird (hit the target for the politically correct).

I await developments

Potter-Potter

Mr. Portter,

Don't get me wrong, I am for low gun !

Just to make my point on how the business goes in US I have to tell you that skeet shooting in US started with gun down. In fact skeet shooting was the practice for

wingshooting.

Getting popularity, from a practice field became a recreational shooting sport, which is today.

The problem of low gun shooting was demanding and not too many teach that . Even today is an issue here.

To keep the growing business,they switched from low gun to high.

I worked many years in American shooting ranges and I understand that politics.

A newcomer get on the field, a follow squad mate help him to hit some birds, the guy get excited and the next question is"where I can buy a gun?"

The American skeet and trap are made for business! The American shooter shoots for fun and not to test his limits.!

For the same reasons they don't change the format and the setting of the field!

The challenge to shoot skeet resume to shoot 600/600 or you go home empty!

On a long run, as you can notice, the Americans are sporadic in their international success!

Once in while they win.

To add my opinion, i have shot fitasc for the last 20 years, some will say gun up, but i like to think i was trying to shoot gun down. In the UK there is always a course setter trying to beat the gun, normally a fast going away bat out of hell midi, like they had at Grimsthorpe. I have studied most of the top shooters over the years and they all cheat, they all work it out, timing, counting but the result is the same, they get the jump on the target.

Its impossible for refs in the UK, abroad they don't really care unless you are blatant. Like many others i have had enough of GB fitasc selection shoots, they have been inconsistent and don't really reflect the international discipline. Hence nearly half the entry at Grimsthorpe was vets.

This year I have gone back to English Sporting and shot a few scores 90% plus. What I have found is that by shooting gun up I don’t get the shoulder twinges , I still shoot gun down for most other targets as you just cannot focus properly gun up.

And Phil it seems that your scores have improved since coming off the board, you made a comment on facebook that really you should retract, I have only ever had the best interest of the sport at heart. Compak is a discipline I would love to shoot more of . I am too old now to want to get involved now, I’m past it.

dennis

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

If gun-down is the dog's danglers then why do they attempt to make FITASC and OSK more difficult by insisting the participants shoot gun-down? You would get a warning if the heel is above the regulation line at the call, no warning if you decide to make it even easier by holding the butt at your hip, and.....(long pause) why do most people who shoot gun down oppose gun-up shooters on the grounds that they have an advantage? They should of course rejoice in the fact that some of their opponents are handicapping themselves. :hmm:???

Edited by skabo1