Why was gun up allowed

ChrisAsh

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only shoot sporting and I find it easier to shoot gun down as when I mount I'm pointing the gun where I'm looking instead of gun up and looking where im pointing the gun if you know what I mean?. On the other hand my shooting partner prefers gun up and drops targets shooting gun down so I guess it's whatever works for you. I'm more interested in using clays as practice for game/field shooting rather than becoming a competition clay shooter, as others have said I don't/wouldn't walk about the field with my gun already mounted so what would be the point of practicing that way?.

I only shoot sporting and I find it easier to shoot gun down as when I mount I'm pointing the gun where I'm looking instead of gun up and looking where im pointing the gun if you know what I mean?. On the other hand my shooting partner prefers gun up and drops targets shooting gun down so I guess it's whatever works for you. I'm more interested in using clays as practice for game/field shooting rather than becoming a competition clay shooter, as others have said I don't/wouldn't walk about the field with my gun already mounted so what would be the point of practicing that way?.

:good: :good: :good: :good:

Gun up or down makes no difference if you can shoot.

If you cannot, then stick to what you are happy with.

Some clay disciplines would have you at a distinct disadvantage if you were gun up, like Olympic trap or double trap for instance.

Pigeon Pete are you really old enough to possess a gun licence or is your experience gained from going with mother?

Gun up or down makes no difference if you can shoot.

If you cannot, then stick to what you are happy with.

Some clay disciplines would have you at a distinct disadvantage if you were gun up, like Olympic trap or double trap for instance.

Pigeon Pete are you really old enough to possess a gun licence or is your experience gained from going with mother?

keep mother out of this she has passed ,*****

ent it good ,all you can do is insult people and you call us children lol

Pigeon Pete no insult intended at all, just thought that you sounded female and about 14 years old, or are you on some sort of medication.

I simply explained that in some disciplines gun up is not only essential, but the only way to shoot it successfully. However if you just want to plink away then that is also fine, you pay your money you make your choice.

The fact also remains that good shooters can manage not only both ways but generally can pick up any gun and shoot with it, irritating as that may be.

Bath time now! Not you, I have 4 other little tots to deal with since their mother passed 2 years ago.

Now Ed. He is obviously man of considerable shooting experience. Just a bit worrying that if he gets lost on a forum I fear for him out in the countryside where big fields look the same. Hope he finds his way back to his off road landy because it is a thankless task carrying all those flasks of coffee and butties

Now Ed. He is obviously man of considerable shooting experience. Just a bit worrying that if he gets lost on a forum I fear for him out in the countryside where big fields look the same. Hope he finds his way back to his off road landy because it is a thankless task carrying all those flasks of coffee and butties

Please ,please dont worry about old Harnser . I have been around long enough to find my way home . Should you find need to expand your knowledge of shooting please feel free to come to Norfolk and meet some proper old boys and old harnser will take you out and show you what actually happens in the country side .

Harnser .

Harnser .

Remember the Dad's Army prog where a sharp shooter from a circus (Barbra Winsor) was recruited to help in a shooting contest, she couldn't shoot unless it was with her back to the target using a mirror or bent double shooting between her legs (steady lads, no making up your own jokes!!) Horses for courses, what works for some, won't for others. Its a broad church, there's room for us all!! :eh:

• 3 weeks later...

gun down beats gun up every time with gun down you get better views of the clays.

i shoot gun down for dtl also no prob's but you tend to get some lad behind you saying you want to get the gun on your shoulder for dtl

well I have only been shooting for 60 years plus how am I to know?

Did you advise all the shooters in the Olympics and our other Trap shooters to shoot gun down? I agree that when shooting sporting that gun up is not always best, but there are times when a gun up shooter will beat a gun down shooter.

gun down beats gun up every time with gun down you get better views of the clays.

i shoot gun down for dtl also no prob's but you tend to get some lad behind you saying you want to get the gun on your shoulder for dtl

well I have only been shooting for 60 years plus how am I to know?

Are you any good at DTL though? :ermm: