Browning 525 very tight, stiff to open........

ziplex

I'd searched for ages to get an answer to my B525 being overly stiff to open/close but on finding this it is now sorted.......hopefully may be of use to others with a similar problem as (arguably) high usage alone won't cure the problem. Taken from a search on shotgunworld.com, obviously if you overdo it you'll only have yourself to blame and a gun that virtually falls open. Mine has gone from needing a fair old bit of effort to get it broken far enough to install the bottom cartridge to being very smooth without a hint of loosness.

I have a New Browning Citori O/U that is very difficult to totally break open (arthritis in my right hand doesn't help). I'd like to loosen it up a bit. Not to fall open but as not to fight it either. Would trimming the ejector springs accomplish this or is there another approach?

Here is what I have suggested in the past. It works if you do it CAREFULLY and don't overdo it. But don't blame me if you get heavy handed and screw it up.

Assuming that you have lubed the gun in all the proper places and still have difficulty opening and closing the gun, here is my suggestion.

When you remove the forend, you see the forend lug sticking down from the bottom barrel. Look closely at the extreme rear surface of this forend lug and see where the blueing has been slightly worn off. This is the area that you want to stone LIGHTLY with a sharpening stone like you use to sharpen knives.

Do the stoning very carefully and very gradually. Do a few light strokes then clean it off, lubricate it lightly, install the forend, and try opening and closing the gun several times. It may take several times of doing this before you even notice a slight difference in the effort required to open and close the gun.

You don't have to do it all in one day. Do it a little one day, then try shooting the gun at the range. If it's still too tight, do a little more then try it at the range again. After several times doing it this way, you should start to notice a bit of lightening of effort required to open and close the gun. Don't overdo it. Good luck.

Thanks for your detailed post ziplex.I've owned a few Browning guns over the years, yes some are a bit tighter than others. For sure I would never buy one that is overly tight let alone use a sharpening stone on one.

It sounds severe but literally just a few light strokes on a very small (unseen) area plus lube is all that's required...

• 6 years later...

Mine is pleasantly slack now after twelve years, when it comes to opening and closing it, but there is still a great deal of initial resistance on the top lever to open the gun. 

I am used to it, but some who have tried it haven't been able to push it across to open the gun. If I had arthritis I would certainly want it eased but as it is I'm prepared to wait another 12 years !

That's the only thing puts me off the Browning's, the awful shaped top lever and how hard it is to move especially when the gun gets warm. I have big thumbs so they don't fit in the textured bit of the lever only across the top sharp edge. 

Maybe that part would wear in over a dozen years. Hope the op replies.

On 02/09/2019 at 21:19, figgy said:

That's the only thing puts me off the Browning's, the awful shaped top lever and how hard it is to move especially when the gun gets warm. I have big thumbs so they don't fit in the textured bit of the lever only across the top sharp edge. 

Maybe that part would wear in over a dozen years. Hope the op replies.

Having worked on new and therefore very stiff to open guns , as well as guns that have been re-jointed for proof so again tight , You learn different techniques to open them . 

You do not use the ball of the thumb on the leaver as you very quickly end up with no skin and a very sore /strained thumb , so use the heel of the thumb , that is the thumb laid along the leaver so that the base of the thumb pushes more than the ball,   exerting a more even and less painful force  .

When opening the gun hold it in such a way so as the comb rests along the forearm so that when the lever is opened the gun can be "thrown" open utilizing the downward pressure of the upper arm onto the forearm and in turn onto the stock .The "jerk" will then use the barrel weight with the hand on the forend to open the gun without undue force .

It has been my experience that many shooters who have experienced difficulties in opening guns soon find that a simple trick, like those above , will alleviate most of their problem .