Weihrauch HW35 or HW99s?

ace_of_hearts

My local gun shop has a nice HW99s and HW35, but i am unsure of the real world differences of these guns.

I currently shoot a BSA Meteor and am looking at upgrading to a 'proper' air rifle. I have a max budget of £200, and want a springer.

Are there anything else i should be looking at instead for the money, and is there a good breakdown of the full Weihrauch range to help me see what the difference is?

Any information welcome, i am pretty much an air rifle novice :)

i,d go for a second hand 77/97.....quality never ages

HW35 is an old design and the basis for most custom builds in the late 70s when I was shooting them. High quality long lived rifles. I have no idea about the 97 and 99 as I was shooting centerfire mostly by then, I am sure others will comment on them.

A

The usual answer to this question.... Pretty much as has already been said. If you want a Weihrauch you won't do better than a second hand 80 if you want to stick with break barrels. Or a 77 or (preferably) a 97 if your budget can stretch to it as spring guns just don't get any better than that. They'll be a bit heavier than the BSA (or the 99S for that matter) but they're worth the extra carriage. I'd say avoid the HW57 though; the loading tap/port isn't as reliable or effective as the breech arrangement on the 77/97 and you'll just wish you'd bought the better model.

And before anyone says "Weihrauch bias" and "get an Air Arms", yes of course they are excellent also, and the tx200 is a perfectly viable alternative (not to mention prettier than its german cousins...) if you want British.

Get a looked-after example of any one of those and you'll never need to replace it.

PS - at risk of sounding snobbish - avoid the chinese stuff - I know some folk like them and if you read the comics you'd think all was lovely (apparenty the TH208 or some such was the best selling springer in the UK according to one of the mags recently - that surely couldn't have been correct could it?...), but when you can get british or german 2nd hand for the same money its a no brainer.

All Weirauchs are good guns (57 apart...). You can compare them all here:

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/seiten/englisch/default.html

99s is lighter than the 35 but no barrel catch, so it sometimes opens in the gun bag and fills the breech with fluff if the bag is fleece lined and the tension on the shoulder strap pulls the right way.

The underleavers are the true classics though. 97s and 77s make up about 75% of the springers at the target clubs that I go to, although break barrels are easier to load in the dark if you go lamping, especially in the cold with numb fingers. That said, HWs are such fine rifles, they will probably outshoot you in any configuration - so pick the one that feels the best to you personally.

Tuned up, they are amazing.

Any of the HW are good and the fixed barrel 57-- 77-- 97 are excellent.

Air arms are very good TX200 is excellent.

BSA you wont go far wrong loads out there second hand.

The Superstar is a wonderful piece of British Engineering fixed barrel under lever and a rolling breech deadly accurate.

Have a look on GUNSTAR and GUNTRADER loads of second hand Rifles out there.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Thanks for the advice everyone, i have done a lot of research over the past couple of days and now feel i know a lot more about the Weihrauch range so that is handy :good:

I decided against the underlevers for the time being, and tried a few of the breakbarrels out at my local gunshop. The HW99s was by far my favourite feeling as it was much lighter than the others and fitted me quite well.

After working out what i fancied, i have just secured a good deal with Lanberini on here with his HW99s :)

This will be the first time i have had a .177 so am a bit apprehensive, but for my shooting i am sure it will be perfect.

Just need to sell my BSA now before the misses finds out i have bought another gun :whistling:

Thanks for the advice everyone, i have done a lot of research over the past couple of days and now feel i know a lot more about the Weihrauch range so that is handy :good:

I decided against the underlevers for the time being, and tried a few of the breakbarrels out at my local gunshop. The HW99s was by far my favourite feeling as it was much lighter than the others and fitted me quite well.

After working out what i fancied, i have just secured a good deal with Lanberini on here with his HW99s :)

This will be the first time i have had a .177 so am a bit apprehensive, but for my shooting i am sure it will be perfect.

Just need to sell my BSA now before the misses finds out i have bought another gun :whistling:

Pending payment of course .

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Accessories&SubCat=Silencers Accessories&Product=2514

Weihrauch Silencer - Push-On Style

This brand new silencer gives the same excellent sound moderating performance to rifles with barrel diameters of 15mm and 16mm as the renowned threaded HW silencer.

Designed with the Weihrauch range of rifles in mind, the silencer also features a cutout to accomodate the foresight of many rifles. The silencer can, however, be fitted to other brands of rifle with 15mm or 16mm diam. barrels.

Push-on fit with grub screw securing.

15mm Silencer fits - HW30, HW35 & HW99S

16mm Silencer fits - HW80, HW85, HW90 & HW95

Total Length 22cm 8.6inches

Weight 128grams 4.5ounces