rat in trees?

benn

i decide to go this afternoon and see if i could get a few squizzers,i was watching one for a while when it suddenly bolted next thing a fat rat appeared?i shot it,i was surprised to see the rat so high up in a tree and so far away from any buildings?has anyone else seen a fat rat up a tree?

Last year about the end of october I went shooting rats at a stable.There are normally quite a few about,but not today.It was unusual not to see any.That was until one of the little ******* dropped out the tree behind Me.I couldnt believe my eyes when I pointed the nv into that area.There was about 10-15 of them.They were eating the Hawthorne berries..This just shows You to expect that the rats aren,t daft and will find food no matter where it happens to be.

• 2 weeks later...

We where ratting once and caught 13 rats in a tree once. Mates terrier also climed up inside a hollowed out oak only to pull out a rabbit inside it. We all thought, oh no, got to get the chainsaw and cut the tree down to get him out, then came down in reverse with a rabbit in his mouth, we all laughed for ages about it.

Good fun though watching them climb through the branches shoooting them with a shotgun or shaking the branches only to fall down and be dispatched. Was in a holly tree.

• 3 weeks later...

There are several different species of rat in the UK, from the Norwegian brown rat to the black rat etc.

There are also probably a number of hybrids.

Certain species of rats are purely arboreal so perhaps that's what's in your trees?

???:hmm: We have the Brown or Norwegian rat in this country, Black/ship rats are VERY rare but may still be found in small numbers in VERY limited areas, that makes 2 types!

Hybrids are largely anecdotal and Which species are purely arboreal?