Photo

Yorkshire Wildfowler

Guest a.mass

OK toys back in the pram. This isn't advice, makes no claim to be an expert opinion, just my experiences as an average shooter re-posted after a few mails.

Pro-s and Cons

The pro of NV is that it is a discrete way of seeing in the dark. When you add a reticule you also have a targeting system.

• Pro : The prey is not alerted, neither is the public.

• Cons

o Price : It is expensive, ranging from £100 or so for a bottom of the range 2nd hand monocular to £4500 for a new Gen 3 Kite

o Ease of use : Trickier to zero*, walking around in the dark, low / very low magnification (varies), low resolution* and poor field of vision*. * denotes price dependant.

o Ranging difficult

o Second gun (?)

o Heavy

It is easy to see that there are a lot more cons than pros.

Choice of NV

Leaving the pros and cons in abeyance for a while, if you still think it’s a goer you should do a sanity check on the chosen rifle. If it isn’t lightweight, or you are not built like Arnies big brother, don’t bother. You will spend a lot of time carrying it, with a heavy NV scope on, at the ready. It gets tiring. I use the kit on

Falcon

Air Arms S410 / S310

Stealth

(any gun of similar weight will be the same)

In my opinion you should buy the best you can afford BUT keep an eye on the price. If that sounds a little “Irish” I mean that you will see a big benefit between **** Gen1 and good Gen 1 for as little as £100. You will see a big benefit between good Gen 1 and Gen 2 for about £500. You will see a big benefit between Gen 2 and Gen 3 for £1000. (prices 2nd hand and approximate).

One of the most important factors is post sales support. You have 3 main choices in buying :

• New in UK

• 2nd Hand in UK

• New from USA

If you are going to buy NEW in UK support isn’t an issue, but check out SB or Deben and you realise that entry level is £450 ish. Personally I would either buy from the USA or second hand in UK, but then support becomes an issue. I have done posts on importing into UK, if you do it legit, or get caught playing the system, it’s about 25% on top of purchase price. If it goes wrong then you either have to do the customs paperwork (C88 + OPR) or risk the tax and VAT again.

I would do this is I had contacts in USA and couldn’t get a suitable unit in UK at the right price.

This leaves buying 2nd hand in the UK. It can go wrong, my 1st purchase burnt out it’s tube in 2 weeks. (Mea culpae). So I would recommend buying a model you know you can get fixed reasonably cheaply.

What you get for the bucks :

• Cheap Gen 1 : Eyestrain, dizziness. Don’t bother

• Good Gen 1 : Better picture, still distortion round the edges, low magnification, focus fussy

• Gen 2+ : Better picture, less distortion, easy to zero due to clarity, higher mag

• Gen 3 : More robust, no distortion, very easy to zero, superb clarity, like Green daylight

Real life useage

You need to buy :

• Extra illumination. Either a dedicated NV illuminator, which is easier to use as no wires, or a lamp with I/R filer. I have both, I use the illuminator on a dedicated NV gun and a Tracer compact on a dual purpose lamping / NV rig. This will make the difference between unworkable and very good !

• Laser. I/R or Visible. If the gun is dedicated I/R is best, adjustable and invisible. If its dual purpose a visible laser zeroed at 30 yards is ideal. This allows range finding in the dark and swapping out of the day and night sights.

• Converter rail. Most NV is fitted with a weaver base. Airguns have dovetail. Soviet Bazaar make a Pickatinny (sp?) converter. The design of this allows swapping of sights without losing zero. (In theory). By having a zeroed lazer you can check if zero has moved, and readjust if necessary, in seconds.

• Sling. (Optional) I love the cheeter sling. It holds the gun in front of you and allows it to be controlled and played with “hands free”. Ideal at night. Also allows extra aiming support.

• Good head torch. When you’ve shot them you have to find them !

Conclusions

I have tried cheap Gen 1 and I simply wouldn’t bother. Cheap Gen 1 encompasses cheap monoculars as well. I just can’t be bothered, the quality takes the pleasure away for me. My recommendations are simple :

12 ft /lb airgun

• NS156 Good buy new or from the USA

• D141 Not as good optics but excellent local repair and upgradeable to Gen 2+ at a reasonable cost.

FAC airgun

• D141 Gen2 . Best value for money and will do the job.

• ATN 68000. Nice kit. Tough to get support though.

Both of the above choices have been pragmatic. I use a D141 Gen 2 as a back up but I shoot with a Kite. I was preferred to spend the money for the “Luxury”, sweeter and easier use. It is NOT needed, but is better. A BMW is better than a mondeo, but both get you there.

NV is not for everybody, and it’s a difficult step to take. If you have a lot of land and you are lamping it reasonably, you can use a bright light and a normal scope. No need for NV. If you don’t have a lot of land and bunnies get shy it may be worth you taking the plunge. There are 2 ways to go.

1. Buy a cheaper but good system. Try it, if you get into it trade up

2. Buy a good rig at the right price. OK it’s a plunge but almost guarantees you’ll fall in love with it.

PLEASE DO NOT OPEN AN NV DEBATE ON THE BACK OF THIS. THESE ARE JUST MY OBSERVATIONS AS JOE AVERAGE.

If both the same person, why not use the same name? :lol: Looks like a discussion point next time I get into the PW Arms :lol: Everyone is entitled to an opinion but must be open and honest to making it openly. A Mass, if you are two people, why? Anthony or Gary? Lots of honest people on our forum, please don't feel you need to have an alias to state your case. :lol:

PP

Unlike some others, I don't care who you are, but you clearly know a hell of a lot about night shooting.

Most of the guys I go out with apologise for missing every fox with a .222 that I spot for them... believe me there are very many charlies on my patch that should be in the divorced and separated club but are still enjoying nuptial bliss, thanks to my mates poor shooting....!!!

If you live in Oxford, perhaps you have learned something from Rousy..:lol:, who is a mate of mine and one of the best shots alive with a .243...:lol:

Gents,

Please lets cool it on this one. :lol:

Its obvious that Bram wants to sell his NV, and obvious that a.mass don't like it.

I can understand that somebody putting an item up for sale won't want it being described as a load of ****.

Lets be nice...if you see something you don't want, then don't post. :lol:

***...this is supposed to be a place where like minded shooters get on! :lol:

Please lads, don't make me lock this thread. ;)