******* brake bolts.

lxtav

I've got a 2006 Isuzu Rodeo and the front discs are totally shot. It's only done 41,000 miles but most of the time its pulling a loaded 3 ton trailer or the horse box so the front discs get hammered and covered in everything as most of the time it is pulling through the mud out a field. Nice easy job to do changed many sets of front discs over the years and my uncle is a mechanic to trade so no probs there. Or so we thought.

Got the callipers off on the drivers side and freed a stuck bolt that was stopping the callipers moving properly when the brakes were applied. One of the discs disintegrated with the lining coming off and spliting in two so thought good job i'm changing the pads and discs also think there is a stuck piston on the passenger side but again no big problem to sort. But it did pass it's MOT recently so thay can't be that bad.

Next job get the two bolts out that hold the caliper bracket to the hub off and thats where the problems started. Wouldn't shift with a ring spanner, not a problem expected it to be rusted in a bit so give it a squirt of WD40 and wait a bit for it to do its thing. Still wouldn't budge. Next came a bit of pole to extend the spanner not a jot of movement and was going to break the spanner. More WD40 and an air powered impact wrench and still nothing.

After about half a tin of WD40 and 3 days of trying to shift them we have given up as the only option left is to heat them up and we have run out of Oxy-Acetalyne. Hopefully Plan B will work as we have a garage just up the road that sorts cars and Lorrys and the boy that owns it is friends with my uncle and related to my mother.

Just dropped it off and they are going to have a go at it this afternoon and good luck to them. As my uncle pointed out we would end up either rounding the nuts or shearing them off which would start a whole new world of problems so let them deal with it as they have bigger and more powerful impact wrenches for using on the lorries.

Just got to see how long it takes and wait for the enevitable big bill to come in when it's done.

wd only good for bolt threads after you'v moved the bolt a bit then you can apply and work bolt back and forth you should use sockets on this type of job impact type the best (8 flats) it should not be a problem for your garage unless you have rounded the bolt heads off .fingures crossed :good:

won't be loctite but will be thread lock, the plus points are the vehicle is relatively new and the bolts will be reasonably large. My 05 L200 they were straight forward with a decent length bar on them. 4x4 discs are generally an **** to replace simply because you have to dis assemble most of the hub but its the way it goes. Good luck I reckon the garage will have them sorted in minutes