Shotgun Adjustable Comb Kit (lots of pics)

at106

Im writing this post to show how i made and fitted my own adjustable comb kit to a shotgun. We were given a baikal a few years ago however it didnt fit my dad or me so it's sat unused. I decided i wanted to fit an adjustable comb kit to it, however there are very few available in the UK. You can get them from Graco in the USA but once you add postage and possible customs charges it works out a bit too much for me, so i decided to make my own! Below shows how i cut the stock to fit the kit and what the kit consists of.

First you need to mark out where to cut the stock, i marked a line 25mm down from the top of the comb parallel to the comb. I then decided where to cut down, the section you cut out needs to be as long as possible but make sure you dont cut too far towards the back of the stock.

Picture014-3.jpg

Picture013-3.jpg

You then need to cut the stock, there are a couple of ways to do this. First is using a bandsaw, you need to keep the stock level in both directions whilst the cut is made. To do this you can screw a piece of wood to the back of the stock making sure the stock is level. You can then tape a washer to the front of the stock to keep it level in the other direction. (Hopefully the pictures explain this better!)

Picture017-2.jpg

Picture019-2.jpg

The second way (and the method i chose) is to use a coping saw. Fix the stock in a vice and then just cut along the lines, it helps if you have an extra person to make sure you are keeping to the lines! And this is the result, any small mistakes dont matter too much as they can be sanded out.

Picture034-3.jpg

Picture035-2.jpg

Picture036-3.jpg

Comb after sanding,

Picture037-3.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Next you need the hardware kit, the kit ive made uses a 25mm diameter base and a 20mm diameter part which goes into the comb. Both parts are glued into the comb and stock using epoxy resin.

Base,

Picture247.jpg

Picture249.jpg

Top part,

Picture254.jpg

Complete kit,

Picture253.jpg

Picture250.jpg

Picture244.jpg

Picture245.jpg

Fitting the kit is fairly simple once you've marked where to drill the holes! To do this i taped the two parts of the stock together, and marked where i wanted the parts of the kit to fit, i then removed the tape and found the centre of the stock and comb and marked where to drill the holes (this is difficult to explain but i hope it makes sense!).

Picture242.jpg

Picture241.jpg

Then using a 25mm and a 20mm forstner bit i drilled the holes making sure i kept the comb and stock level. The holes were slightly larger than the components so if you get the measurements slightly wrong this should allow some flexibility to hide the issue! You also need to drill two 5mm holes in the side of the comb to allow for the grub screws to be fitted and removed. I then glued the parts into the stock and comb, then sanded them again and applied finishing oil.

Picture261.jpg

Picture262.jpg

Picture263.jpg

Picture264.jpg

Finished! Ready for its first test tomorrow.

Picture268.jpg

Picture267.jpg

Picture266.jpg

The kit allows from the centre cast adjustment of 8mm either left or right, and 5-12mm of height adjustment (although different length posts can be made to increase or reduce this). The first test is tomorrow and if successful i have made more kits to hopefully sell, if anyone is interested? I hope you found this post interesting, sorry if it isnt all that clear but it's not always easy to explain stuff!

Thank you for the kind comments :good:

The stock was easy to cut and didn't take long at all, as long as you use a new blade there shouldn't be any problems. I have to admit i was a bit worried about cutting the stock but i only had to follow the lines, that i checked several times!

And no i'm not a joiner, i'm 17 and just starting a mechanical engineering apprenticeship :good:

Thank you for the kind comments :good:

The stock was easy to cut and didn't take long at all, as long as you use a new blade there shouldn't be any problems. I have to admit i was a bit worried about cutting the stock but i only had to follow the lines, that i checked several times!

And no i'm not a joiner, i'm 17 and just starting a mechanical engineering apprenticeship :good:

well as said nice job.and good look with your apprenticeship.dont think you will have anyting to worry about on the practical side :good:

Could your kit be used to make an adjustable buttstock as well? Would be very interested if so.

It could but I'm not exactly sure how they work!

My kit could only be used to adjust left and right, or up and down but not both. And you couldn't use it to adjust the length of the stock due to the recoil, although if you know how much longer the stock needs to be I could make up a couple of spacers.

Edited by at106

It could but I'm not exactly sure how they work!

My kit could only be used to adjust left and right, or up and down but not both.

The other system IIRC use cams to allow for more adjustment have a look http://www.graco-cor...e-comb-hardware the but plate adjuster is similar but would need to be stronger. http://www.recoil-less.com/

The job you have done looks excellent and would suit a much more valuable gun if you could sell the kit for £25-30 (and make a tidy profit) you could have a ready market for these.

Must say i am very impressed! Now has it helped your shooting?

Edited by HDAV

The other system IIRC use cams to allow for more adjustment have a look http://www.graco-cor...e-comb-hardware the but plate adjuster is similar but would need to be stronger. http://www.recoil-less.com/

The job you have done looks excellent and would suit a much more valuable gun if you could sell the kit for £25-30 (and make a tidy profit) you could have a ready market for these.

Must say i am very impressed! Now has it helped your shooting?

Yeah I didn't think it would work too well as a butt plate adjuster. I was looking to sell them for around £30 and I would make a profit however I underestimated how much time they would take to make!

It has improved my shooting with this gun the only issue is I could forever be changing the cast or height so I need to leave it as it is now and get used to it.

Make the kit or fit it? Normally making 10 won't take as long as as 10x1 and make 1000 for less but you need the tools if you have access to te gear and can knock a few up I'm sure you'll be able to sell them if you need a "project" a have a look at the PFS stocks sold by alan Rhone

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...