PHEASANT SEASON DATES

I WISH THEY WOULD CHANGE THE PHEASANT SEASON DATES TO START 1ST NOV AND END 1ST MARCH

EVERY YEAR GUNS ARE ASKED TO BE CAREFULL DON`T SHOOT YOUNG BIRDS, IF THE SEASON STARTED 1ST

NOV, THEN SHORT TAILED BIRDS WOULDN`T BE A PROBLEM. ENDING THE SEASON ONE MONTH LATER ON THE

1ST OF MARCH WOULDN`T AFFECT BREEDING BIRDS AND WOULD GIVE THE SAME NUMBER OF SHOOT DAYS

THEREFORE PROTECTING COMMERCIAL JOBS.

HOW DO WE GO ABOUT SETTING THE BALL ROLLING

1st of March would be far too late its just right as it is, restraint is needed with young birds but thats the way its always been and a lot depends on whether birds are wild or reared and when they were put down.

Agree

We took our pheasants in June. The cocks have a little way to go but the hens look fully mature. If you want to shoot them earlier, get them earlier.

Bill

this year has been slightly extraordinary we had some newly hatched chicks about last week, it seems to be a result of the really wet weather and probably loosing their first brood. Some made it but not many, on the upside the English Partridges seem to have had a decent year despite everything and we have a few good sized coveys about.

I WISH THEY WOULD CHANGE THE PHEASANT SEASON DATES TO START 1ST NOV AND END 1ST MARCH

EVERY YEAR GUNS ARE ASKED TO BE CAREFULL DON`T SHOOT YOUNG BIRDS, IF THE SEASON STARTED 1ST

NOV, THEN SHORT TAILED BIRDS WOULDN`T BE A PROBLEM. ENDING THE SEASON ONE MONTH LATER ON THE

1ST OF MARCH WOULDN`T AFFECT BREEDING BIRDS AND WOULD GIVE THE SAME NUMBER OF SHOOT DAYS

THEREFORE PROTECTING COMMERCIAL JOBS.

HOW DO WE GO ABOUT SETTING THE BALL ROLLING

Firstly there is no need to put your post in capital letters. Bad form, people think you are SHOUTING AT THEM!!!!!!

I note you come from Cumbria and no doubt the weather and seasons could be behind other parts of the country.

Is the problem localised to you or is there a concensus that the season should be pushed back? If you are a member of the BASC contact them and see what they say.

Personally i'd like to see the season shortened and lengthened by two weeks but I doubt this will happen in my lifetime.

Short tailed birds would still be a problem because in their infinite wisdom shoots would still take late August and September Poults in the belief that they eat less and dont have time to wander as far.

Get them early and leave the seasons alone!! June/July Poults are far healthier. Besides which how will an extension allow keepers to catch up laying stock? There is no way birds will be caught up before the Jan deadline if there is commercial pressure to continue shooting through to March 1st.

As above.

Ran a very good shoot at altitude in Lancashire, wettest bleakest place on earth and we shot full tailed mature birds on 1st October.

Bought in at 7 1/2 weeks on 21st June and released in pens which were big enough and good enough.

The seasons are just fine and served us well for 120 + years.

Leave well alone.

Firstly there is no need to put your post in capital letters. Bad form, people think you are SHOUTING AT THEM!!!!!!

I note you come from Cumbria and no doubt the weather and seasons could be behind other parts of the country.

Is the problem localised to you or is there a concensus that the season should be pushed back? If you are a member of the BASC contact them and see what they say.

Personally i'd like to see the season shortened and lengthened by two weeks but I doubt this will happen in my lifetime.

I know I won't see that in my life time, I doubt any of us will...

I would ike to see the dates of your shorter longer season :good:

Must be geographic, I was in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago and hearing the complete opposite with the partridge having a terrible breeding season, which even left adult birds dead.

We had a good season last year on grey partridge but won`t shoot any this year as hardly seen any when working on the shoot.

Bill

this year has been slightly extraordinary we had some newly hatched chicks about last week, it seems to be a result of the really wet weather and probably loosing their first brood. Some made it but not many, on the upside the English Partridges seem to have had a decent year despite everything and we have a few good sized coveys about.

yep, a strange year. Saw some you a month ago. Keep it as it is. Try just shooting the old cocks

Short tailed birds would still be a problem because in their infinite wisdom shoots would still take late August and September Poults in the belief that they eat less and dont have time to wander as far.

Get them early and leave the seasons alone!! June/July Poults are far healthier. Besides which how will an extension allow keepers to catch up laying stock? There is no way birds will be caught up before the Jan deadline if there is commercial pressure to continue shooting through to March 1st.

I`m sure I`ve read somewhere that laying birds can be caught up after the season ends, I know your going to come back stating the law says you can`t take birds out of season, but I`ve read it and will try to find it.

You are right they were proposing an additional 14 day catching up period in Scotland after the end of the season but it hasn't been implemented as yet as far as I know.

I suppose if the season was extended to Mar 1st then in theory catching up would also be extended but this wouldn't really promote good welfare or husbandry i.e. getting your laying flock on site, settled and in tip top condtion for laying.

I agree with the OP as do many of my shooting companions, but not because of young birds but because of the weather, we run a woodland shoot and at the start of the season now there is still far too much greenary, are beaters are down to their t shirts because it is too hot, it is hard on the dogs and so on, I also dont like shooting pheasants in shirt sleeves if you know what I mean.

Another good reason is there is **** all else to do in February!