Pavmans 2012 Maize shoot bolting bunnies

pavman

Guys

Just putting a plan in place for the shooting of bolting rabbits during this years harvest of cattle maize as I will open it up again to PW members to make up the team.

We have a lot of cattle Maize to cut this year so expecting it may well run into 3 days of shooting bolting rabbit and Fox. Its grown well so if they get organised (not normally a word I use in connection with farmers) we could cut early oct (last year it was nov)

I can take around 5 guest guns each day and will have a preference for the team members who shot last year as they know the ropes. However no reason why others cant have a crack if places allow, please see below.

This is a free shoot, You just turn up and help me and have a fine days shooting!

With luck Grandalf will be helping again and also running day 3 for me

All guns must have BASC or similar insurance

Be available at shortish notice

Location Norfolk Suffolk boarder nearest town Bungay so you need to be able to get there

Be contactable on a mobile phone (I will need number)

Have a game gun (no semi auto for safety)

So who is up for it this year?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on you;fantastic offer.I love bolting bunnies and we do the same on a 40 acre maize field just up the road from our village.Last year farmer offered to pay for our cartridges;but the tight ****** still hasn't coughed up....took us out for a few bevvies so can't grumble....well I can,cos I don't drink,but the thought was there.Would be interested to know how you come on.

Pavman is the offer still open? Ill Pm You

yep, i will write up a list of available folk in a day or so and as always it will be short notice as we never know when we are getting the contract cutter, rain will put a spanner in the works as we must cut dry or it spoils when we clamp it.... TBH this is going to suit local area peple however if anyone wants to travel thats fine but if the dates change i really cant help it so please think very carfully about making a commitment, i will try to share it out and normally have reserves, so most should get at least one day each depending on how we do, last year we shot 65 rabbits but no fox this year i am expecting foxes as i know they are in there but i have shot very few to date as they dont need to come out!

I will need your phone number and an idea of how far you have to come (if i dont already know) so i know what we are looking at notice wise, you must also have BASC or similar

hows that sound?

ATB Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Gents just an update, farmer has said its going to happen in 2 cuts due to the planting dates so we expect the first cut to last two days and start in about 2 to 3 weeks from now, and the 2nd a week or two after that i have everyones number so will follow up and update yo uas i have news

thanks

Edited by pavman

Guys this is what i have come up so far with it can change but prefer not if poss just makes me have to think!

we expect to get cutting mid oct first hit will be about 2 days followed by another cut one day a bit later and i will make up a team near the time for this one. I think its best for the more local guns to do day one as we can then give notice to the lads further out and give them time to organise, i will give as much notice as poss, we cant cut in the wet and contract cutters will always arrive early or late never when they say, nothing we can do about it so the key is to be a flexible as poss its not my fault when things change...

Grandalf is on a free pass and will come and go as he wishes, there are one or two others waiting, very sorry I cant take young solo guns, you must have insurance (i will ask to see it) game guns only for safety so we can see when its loaded, all common sense really. The shooting is safe and serious the banter light hearted bring a flask and lunch and sensible clothes, last year was fantastic 65 rabbits shot a very happy farmer and a good PW meet up

Day one

Pavman, Dan B, Wharf Rat, Berreta 28g, Deek1979, The Duke, Bleeh

Day two

Pavman, Sharp Shooter, Leeds Chimp, Baker Boy, Phil R, GoldyPurple

I will keep you all posted, and ask you let me know if you cant make it ASAP so i can get you replaced i need around 5 to 7 guns each day, I am expecting Fox as they are in there and not coming out to front up to the 243!

thanks, Dan

Edited by pavman

Looking for to it, Pav

Sharpshooter

5 or 6's fine for rabbits, AAA for fox

**** that on a field with others about AAA's are prone to ricochets on flints and would be one of my last choices for foxes due to pattern issues. Go for something between 2's and 4's with a reasonably heavy load and don't stretch the ranges too far.

Odds are if any escape that they will come back onto the field that night and Pav can mop them up with the rifle

guys

ref loads the rabbits and charlies in gen will stay in the maize until its down to a strip and at that point we have all exits coverd 28 to 32grms of 3s, 4s or 5s will do the biz, we have flint so like Alex says rick o shae is a problem so dont over do it