Beretta 303 Advice Wanted

Alex1Nat2

Hi Guys,

Following at least 6 months without giving my old 303 Auto a good clean I though I would give it a treat.

The 'nut' that holds the forend on felt quite tight as I tried to release it as you normally 'push' then turn it to release it.

Either way, as I twisted it the small ball bearing inside the 'nut' has popped out.

I only used my fingers to release it so not sure what happed.

Either way I now have a loose ball bearing and I dont actually know what it does in relation to the 'nut'

Can I put it back in or is it a gunsmith job?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Gordon Rs memory is correct. The ball has a small spring behind it which presses the ball against the indentations in the rear face of the end cap to prevent it coming unscrewed during use.

The mouth of the hole where the ball fits is lightly swaged around the edges during manufacture to retain the ball. You may be able to fix it if you have a decent fine centre punch.

You neeed to re-seat the ball on top of its spring, a tiny dab of grease on the spring will hold the ball in position. You then need three hands or a helper !

Place the end cap on something solid like a work bench or piece or board. Get the helper to depress the ball using a pin punch or a suitable piece of wire so it is below flush and then lightly centre punch the edge of the hole adjacecent to the ball in at least three places. The aim being to expand the edges of the hole preventing the ball popping fully out. Tricky little job, but it can be done. Only alternative is a new end cap or get your local friendly gunsmith to do the job. If you have the ball and the springs still in its hole it should only cost the price of a pint.