Best type of wood for a priest?

Thunderbird

Unless you want a big lump then you will have to weight the thing with lead.

My preference is yew for attractiveness or oak for a hardwood that is very resistant to moisture.

When turning I would get the rough shape, drill out the end and pour in molten lead core. I'd then put it back on the lathe and do the final shaping. I ruined a couple getting molten lead on the finish. If you are fussy you can always cap the end with a wooden plug. If less fussy like me you can clean any overspill with normal wood turning tools because it is so soft.

I was hoping to omit the molten lead step entirely, as there's not a crucible in the place and I can't be trusted with molten metal anyway.

I just filled one I made with shot and capped it with resin and a plug. Still plenty of weight and no need to cook the lead.

Just wondered what's the best, densest heavy wood to make a basic home-made priest from?

What have people had success with?

This is for a shooting as opposed to a fishing priest, if that makes a difference..?

my mate is a stick dresser, he suggests holly.

This is true very hard and heavy. My grandfather used holly priest to get rid of new aged travellers of his land.

After reading this post just nipped in the garage and made one out of an old driftwood stick. Not sure what wood it is. Drilled a 12mm hole in the centre and filled it with lead solder wire heated with a blow lamp. Then finished it off with a light sand and coated it with some work top oil.

There is a holly tree next door which I'm going to ask the neighbour about. Basically it's between the two garages so can't be seen at all from his house or garden, and I can only see it because it hangs over my garage.

The one problem with holly, it does tend to shrink a lot more than other woods and the bark is not very attractive when dried out ! I still prefer to use blackthorn dries hard as iron and good wieght to boot and when varnished or oiled the bark is stunning :good: