.177 for hunting

pin

Up until the other night I had never used a .177 12fllb rifle for hunting rabbits. Since I had one nocking about I thought I would give it a go.

I know this debate has raged on and on and both camps have a view, I have always used .22, just because I always have. Anyway, got the rifle out (AAs400 classic), zero'd it in and off I went.

Not a lot about, but hell it made a nice change from all this holdover :good:

I only had the chance of 3 shots at the furry fellers. The first was about 30 yds, smack on the money, backflip and fell down a bank out of sight. Deffinate good hit, lost, couldn't find it anywhere :lol:

Second one same range, same shot placement fell over twiched twice and lights out. 3rd one was a little further but I really liked the fact that I knew just the tinyest bit of holdover was required, held a little into the wind and same as before dropped with nothing but a twitch. Deffinately confidence boosting this flatter line, less educated guessing.

The wind you always account for, but with the .177 its much more of a deal, a trade off for the flatter and faster trajectory.

I loved it, shame I am getting rid, but I can't wait for the .17hmr now :lol:

Yeah I agree, I used my .177 a few weeks back and it was spot on every time. Like you say wind can be a bit of a pain, but if your really bothered u can always get a mil-dot or hawke MAP scope to deal with it. Im going to be using my .22 this thursday just for comparison sake....and I'll post too about it =)

-Andrew

Yeah I agree, I used my .177 a few weeks back and it was spot on every time. Like you say wind can be a bit of a pain, but if your really bothered u can always get a mil-dot or hawke MAP scope to deal with it. Im going to be using my .22 this thursday just for comparison sake....and I'll post too about it =)

The scope on there was a simmons 3-10x50 fixed para. fixed rec. scope. No mildots, nothing. Just a crosshair, like it used to be. I found it odd becuase I have used mildots for a good while now, but I soon got back into it.

Sometimes I find it a bit offputting trying to remember whats what and holding half a dot and all this. Simple is as simple does - worked perfectly and got the job done.

Butane wouldn't work, I am not saying on here what would, but it can be done :lol:

1500fps+ from a .22 pellet is possible in a standard pcp rifle, if you know what you are doing :yes:

I won't try it, I can't find a scope big enough to let me take a safe shot at a white rhino from here :lol:

If you really wanna know there is a simple way but its totally illegal and on second thoughts im not gonna post on how its done because some muppet would blatently try it and end up either killing someone or injuring themselves lol. It involves no modification of the rifle at all, but would probably take out every seal and gasget on the gun loool. No, Im not saying.....:yes:

Please get back to the point lol....about 177 being good for hunting and get rid of the seagull idea....thats a topic thats already been stopped once.

-Andrew

1500fps+ from a .22 pellet is possible in a standard pcp rifle, if you know what you are doing :yes:

Even with a moderate pellet rather than a heavy thats 70 ft lbs plus... Standard rifles wont run to that... so you obviously dont know what your doing... As well as being supersonic and therefore tumbling the pellets all over the place..

Tony

Hehe, where did I say or imply I knew what I was doing :good:

I have read articles on the net where people have used standard PCP kit and $other_gas managing to crono something at those speeds.

Made no reference to acutally using it practically, I have no doubt it would be all but useless in practice. Doesn't stop people from doing it though.

Hehe, where did I say or imply I knew what I was doing :good:

I have read articles on the net where people have used standard PCP kit and $other_gas managing to crono something at those speeds.

Made no reference to acutally using it practically, I have no doubt it would be all but useless in practice. Doesn't stop people from doing it though.

Articles on the net ... spose cos it's in black and white it must be true...

However when Ben Taylor a Cambridge based airgun tuner and one of the founders of Theoban put up a £100 bet to all these 'super tuners' to just break the speed of sound.. 1100 and something feet per second. It took over 6 months before anyone managed it and claimed the money even then only just beating it...

Still 300 ft per second short of the 1500 you mention.

As to the main topic of this thread... hunting with .177

There's an old rule of thumb in airgunning that says you need a minimum of 1 ft lb per grain of pellet weight for an airgun to shoot well and have a reasonably trajectory. Well at 12 ft lbs .177 falls comfortably inside this rule and so does .20 with the lighter end of the .20 pellet range. On the other hand .22 does not, and while a 22 at 12 ft lbs can still be shot, why make life difficult for yourself !

No argument .22 is the way to go at FAC levels.

But for sub 12 ft lb hunting .177 and .20 rule in my opinion.

Regards

Tony

Oh and to add a further bone of contention at 12 ft lb .177 is better in wind than .22 !

Articles on the net ... spose cos it's in black and white it must be true...

Fair comment, lets put that one to bed shall we :good:

As to the main topic of this thread... hunting with .177

No argument .22 is the way to go at FAC levels.

Interesting, never thought about .177 at FAC, you don't see them. I would guess its very easy to get supersonic with .177 at FAC powers, is this why? I guess they would also use a disproportionate ammount of air to do the job (compared to .22)

Oh and to add a further bone of contention .177 is better in wind than .22 !

Again very interesting. I would have thought that the magnus effect would be more pronounced given the faster projectile and its lower sectional mass.

Just out of interest, I am simply interested in your view, why do you think .177 is better in the wind?

Again very interesting. I would have thought that the magnus effect would be more pronounced given the faster projectile and its lower sectional mass.

Just out of interest, I am simply interested in your view, why do you think .177 is better in the wind?

One of the airgun mags did some tests on this and published the results showing at 12 ft lb increasing calbre size increased the amount of deflection for a given wind speed. My own empiricle tests have confirmed this.

My own simplistic way of thinking about this and I maybe completely wrong on the reason why... not of course that it happens is...

If wind is drifting say left to right as the pellet flies it has more time to drift over to the right with a .22 as it travels much slower at 12 ft lbs and therefore takes longer to reach the target and has more time to be blown off course. The faster .177 has less time to be affected. The effect of pellet size / cross sectional area is much smaller compared to the huge differences in speed at 12 ft lbs.

I'll probably now get ripped to bits by the techno theorists !

Regards

Tony

Guest cookoff013

i`ve always been a great fan of the smaller calibre airgun,

i`ve liked the biz magnums in my theoben, they give a nice compromise between a .20 and a .177,

saying that, if you hit a rabbit in the right area with a 2mm pellet its lights out .

aim is more important than power (at given range) especially with a energy limited rifle

i `ve moved over to flatter trajectory now !!!

its a shame they dont make a smaller pellet than .177, a 4 mm or a 3.5 would be ideal for an indoor paper punching,

i think that it will never happen, due to lack of ammo ! would be good to see it happen though, 4.5 mm to me is the only cal i`ll consider at 12 ftlbs, idealy i`d like 17-18, but its not going to happen.