Photo location security

Cosd

After reading the IOS 6 thread, and Billy's post regards switching off location services on the iPhone photos, I thought it would be a good idea to mention on here since we do take pictures of bags and post them on an open forum.

Apart from nobody wanting their permision poached/pinched etc, it's the anti's that we definitely wouldn't want to let know where we go shooting!!

So I thought I'd post this for everyone who uses location devices, smart phones and some camera's have the facility too, as I think it wise to switch the function to off especially for photos we post on the net.

Here are the instructions for iPhones:

Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Camera (switch to off)

Maybe others can post instructions for other phones on here, for the lesser technophobes amongst us!

Cos

Good post, I can right click on images and be given a set of coordinates indicating exactly where the image was taken and what camera took it!

If I can do this with a simple firefox add on I am sure the Brian May brigade can too.

Just to add:

I've been through a few recent posts on the Sporting Pictures section and I now know exactly which corner of exactly what field certain pictures were taken in! Scary stuff chaps, especially with pictures of game bags which could lead to antis getting involved with locating release pens etc.

Good post, I can right click on images and be given a set of coordinates indicating exactly where the image was taken and what camera took it!

If I can do this with a simple firefox add on I am sure the Brian May brigade can too.

Just to add:

I've been through a few recent posts on the Sporting Pictures section and I now know exactly which corner of exactly what field certain pictures were taken in! Scary stuff chaps, especially with pictures of game bags which could lead to antis getting involved with locating release pens etc.

Can you still do that with a picture hosted on photobucket ???

If you upload your image via a proper image hosting service, such as imgur.com, they strip all location info from the EXIF data.

Don't ruin good memories of where you were (in the world) for the sake of not using a proper image hosting service.

Can you still do that with a picture hosted on photobucket ???

So photobucket does not remove the location ???

Can we please not all jump to the conclusion that the geolocation has to be switched off. It's a really handy tool, which combines well with photo software to (if you use the right one) to take a round the world tour of your holiday snaps, or just the pics you took in a certain album.

• 2 weeks later...

For those with an Android phone (though the specific location of the option differs with make and model) you need to do the following:

1. Open up the Camera app
  2. Enter the settings menu. (On my phone its a cog icon on screen).
  3. In the options avaialble, look for the 'Geo-tag photos' option and make sure it is unticked.
    (This option may well be under another option, for example mine is under 'Camera options' in my settings menu.

Personally, I prefer to leave the Geo-tagging of photos on. Why? Because I take photos of my decoy pattern, hide and a few throuhgout the day as a record on the conditions, pattern and bag. I can then look back through my photos and know where and when I did something that worked wonders and perhaps when I didn't.

• 1 year later...