Starting out homebrewing

ace_of_hearts

I used bitter water profile in the Sarah Hughes and I would imagine that I did the same with the Gales. I didnt test alkalinity this time as I've had good results when brewing this previously. I'm considering doing one of these two milds with a Belgian yeast to give it a bit of a different taste.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cookoff013

i`d like to add to this, that i have sampled my beer finally. i`ve been waiting for it to mature 5 weeks before i even think about tasting.

now i have been struggling with over gassing my beer, this time it came out lovely.

head retention is exellent, small bubbles and head stays all the way to the bottom of the glass. beer was crystal clear, if slightly darker than the comercial equivalent. this could be due to the fact i used 20l instaed of 23 litre brew (but i couldnt say for sure)

absolutely fantastic 0.5 pint.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a beer kit that is similar to Leffe Blond and other Flemish Belgian 'abbey' beers (so definately not Stella! :sick: ) ? or failing maybe a good German 'weissbier' kit?

I am very experianced with brewing cider, mainly turbo cider, and other concoctions, so I already have all the gear and know what I'm doing. :good:

Guest cookoff013

you should look into the brewferm range of beers. they do many belgian types.

would also recomend not using normal houshold sugar. it ferments, but not great. the dextrose / glucose /brewing sugar is instant energy for your yeast.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Brewferm_Beer_Kits.html

would suggest, if you go the whole hog, do 2 kits in one fermenter, as these kits are only 9-12litre kits.

I couldnt agree more with cookoff013,

the brewferm kits are very good,so far i have made the kriek(cherry) abdij(abbey) bruin(flemmish brown) tarweiber(wheat beer)oranje bock(not tasted yet) and 5 lots of the pils(favourite so far)

also agree on doing 2 of the 9-12ltr kits together