Canada Goose Decoys

Steve111

Hi,

I'm looking to get a few decoys together before the Geese arrive in any numbers, I've got mates who have a few Pinkfoot FUDs (about 30) but I was thinking about getting some decoys to add movement to the pattern when we shoot together. Has anybody used the below Windsock (Rag) decoys with any success? Also will they attract Pinkfoots even if they look like Canada Geese? My other option is to get a dozen Silsocks, a guy in my club said that they were good and even got Ducks flying in to have a look.

http://www.whistlingwings.co.uk/acatalog/Rag--Windsock-Canada-Goose-Decoys-WindCan.html

Thanks in advance for any tips or information,

Steve

Sillosocks for canada's are very good in my opinion. I used them last year, put out in a rough horse shoe pattern and had birds land right in with them. Mix a few sentry birds with feeders. Im sure the rags work, but I did buy some last year and ended up ebaying them as they didnt seem to work for me.

I'm going to buy some sillsocks after the above advice to add a bit of movement to the decoy pattern. My shooting mates have Pinkfoot and Greylag FUDs, would Canda sillsocks look weird in this pattern? Should I just buy some Pinkfoot sillsocks? Do Geese distiguish species when they come to land with other birds?

Many questions as I want to buy the correct product!!!

I am not a great fan of decoying geese , but I have used them at times , but never on feeding fields. As for what species , that depends on what type of geese you find in your area. If they are mainly canadas then use canada decoys and so on. I have no experiance , but one friend swears pinks are put off if you mix a few canadas with pink decoys. I must admit when i have seen both species in the same field they usually keep away from each other.

I would buy some pinkfoot sillosocks mate if your going to be shooting pinks but as above get a mixture of sentry's and feeders, and they do work just adding movement to your pattern.If your shooting canada's then get that type but I don't know what you have down there I presume mainly pinkfeet especially norfolk.

thats interesting anser as i bought a few canada decoys and painted most of them for greys but left the rest as they were in the hope of just incase a few canada,s would cross. i had planned to mix them but after hearing this i mighting bother. anyone else any views on this??????????