1 bird on a magnet ?

THE GRIFF

After recently getting into decoying I am starting to get a bit of gear and realised that moving your pattern around can sometimes make a big difference.

Does anyone ever only put one arm/bird on there magnet rather than two. Just thought it might be an idea and something different to try if the 2 arms aren't working on the day.

Maybe there might be a reason why 2 birds is better, but just thought I would ask!

After recently getting into decoying I am starting to get a bit of gear and realised that moving your pattern around can sometimes make a big difference.

Does anyone ever only put one arm/bird on there magnet rather than two. Just thought it might be an idea and something different to try if the 2 arms aren't working on the day.

Maybe there might be a reason why 2 birds is better, but just thought I would ask!

Yes you can use just the one bird mate,just leave the two arms on to even out the balance :good: BB

if your taking the trouble to set a magnet up in the first place you might as well just set it up with 2 birds on, it takes a min longer

even if you put two arms on with one bird your still not counterbalancing the weight of the bird

It's not to save time, just something different. I was thinking about it last week when shooting over beans, the decoys were set up in a open patch with a couple of bouncers looking as though they were coming in at the edge of the pattern and thought it would of looked with just one bird on a magnet set to the side of the pattern above the crop.

I suppose 2 birds would of looked good as well, it just sometimes looks a bit much to me with 2 birds spinning around, but like I said I am new to decoying and just wondered if anyone actually does set just one bird up.

personally i don,t use 1 bird on the magnet, but if your set on trying it you have to counter balance the dead bird with a similar weight approx a pound in weight,. otherwise once you connect it to the battery it will spin for 5 seconds before it falls over, trust me or try it up to you

also if you think 2 birds on a magnet are to much, theres a reason why there made for 2 because it works

personally i don,t use 1 bird on the magnet, but if your set on trying it you have to counter balance the dead bird with a similar weight approx a pound in weight,. otherwise once you connect it to the battery it will spin for 5 seconds before it falls over, trust me or try it up to you

also if you think 2 birds on a magnet are to much, theres a reason why there made for 2 because it works

The only time I use one bird on a rotary is when shooting crows,

I use a counter weight to balance out the unit and run the machine on very low revs.

Roland the owner of Pinewood Sporting passed on the tip!

First time out Werner and I shot a mixed bag of 135 crows and jackdoors…..

TEH

There made for two birds to even out the weight,and so they can sell more hyper flaps or whatever else people start the day with prior to using shot birds :good: if your out shooting and you pattern isn't working do you just sit in you hide or move things around? well if 2 birds on the rotary ain't working do you just leave it,or maybe reduce down to 1 bird and give that a go? decoying is all about trial and error.

And as for a magnet wont work with a single bird,well i must be special as ive used it many times with a single crow/pigeon and very rarely had any issues with it working loose :good: good old PW some say its black and some say its white :good: BB

Or the DS solution use a hyper flap and you wont have any weight issues

Edited by Bluebarrels

It'll just wobble out of the ground unless you counterweight it.

If the ground is solid, it'll probably last 10 minutes, but as soon as the wobble begins it's only ever going to get worse.

Maybe the ground I shoot on is different but never had this problem and regularly use just 1 bird.

I do make sure the whole spike is in the ground but after a few hours or more its still always upright