new goose recipe

aister

we have just finished scoffing up two greylags from the weekend, done chinese style. yesterday i took the four breasts and boiled them for just under 3 hours, (or till they were nearly falling appart). today i took the cooled meat and broke it up into bite sized bits and threw it in some very hot olive oil in the wok and crisped it up and right at the end put in a good sized splash of light soy sauce. it was just like the crispy duck you get from the chinese takeaway. i then heated up some uncle bens vegetable rice and some hoi sin sauce and hey presto chinese greylag. the whole family liked it so thats a success in my books :good:.

Strange you say about boiling the goose first aister as I have here a rumor that the same thing is done with Canada's in North America before roasting as it takes the strong flavor out of them ? also I know from my time in Ireland that the Irish do the same thing with a Hare .

ps I tried cutting goose breasts into thing strips & cooking chinese style in a wok but it had the same old srong greylag taste so I think I might try it after boiling :hmm:

Edited by Pole Star

i boil all the ducks and geese i shoot (except when making Polish goose). i used to roast mallard but truthfully 99% of them was really dry and tough even when stuffed and covered with bacon. all i do with mallard now is boil it with some salt till it leaves the bone, its really moist and tender and still tastes good. another thing it does is takes away the strong bloody taste if a bird is a bit shot up. it sounds a bit bland but once its boiled it can be crisped up in a hot hot frying pan or heated up in a stir fry and its still tender and moist. the one thing i cant eat is wild duck or goose cooked rare, flashed up in a frying pan or roasted for 20 minutes IMO is just not nice. sirloin steak on the other hand......

edited to say that some birds take longer to boil than others. the other night i boiled up 3 mallard and a wigeon, the wigeon and two of the mallard took just over 2 and a half hours and the other mallard was over 3.

Edited by aister

we have just finished scoffing up two greylags from the weekend, done chinese style. yesterday i took the four breasts and boiled them for just under 3 hours, (or till they were nearly falling appart). today i took the cooled meat and broke it up into bite sized bits and threw it in some very hot olive oil in the wok and crisped it up and right at the end put in a good sized splash of light soy sauce. it was just like the crispy duck you get from the chinese takeaway. i then heated up some uncle bens vegetable rice and some hoi sin sauce and hey presto chinese greylag. the whole family liked it so thats a success in my books :good:.

Mate, I've just got back the other day with a load of duck and geese.

Ive just treated the family to a home made Chinese inc your recipy for duck and goose. It took 2.5 hrs for the pintail ducks and 3 hrs for the pinkfoot goose breast. Did as you said for the end and hay presto!!!!! A fantastic meal for all.

Thanks as its definitely the way forward!!

Edited by Anth6568

Have you tried smoking the breasts ???:drool: :drool: :drool:

Tam what recipe/timescale do you use? The old man has a smoker,(that sounds awful :lol: ) and I would give goose a try if it's any good? What wood/sawdust do you use and smoke for how long? :good:

Is this the crown you are boiling up? But with the skin off? I'll give it a go!

Ps I always cool my duck very rare. Only way to go :drool:

Not sure why you would want to boil any meat for 3 hours.

I have never cooked goose or duck this way and I am not sure if I want to. Any meat cooked for that time and then covered in a sauce is going to taste ok. I have made stew, mince, bolo, burgers etc but I also have smoked, grilled, fried slap & tickled and never had to much of a problem.

But everyone to there own. I may try the boil recipie to see how it turns out.

Incidently on Sunday I had a mixed game & fowl pie consisting of phesant, pigeon, teal & widgeon. The meat was only browned in onion covered with a stock and simmered for 20 min before cooling and into a pie dish covered with short crust pastry and baked for a further 1/2 hour with a few other ingreidents thrown in it was very tasty and even the wife enjoyed it.

BBL

Not sure why you would want to boil any meat for 3 hours.

I have never cooked goose or duck this way and I am not sure if I want to. Any meat cooked for that time and then covered in a sauce is going to taste ok. I have made stew, mince, bolo, burgers etc but I also have smoked, grilled, fried slap & tickled and never had to much of a problem.

But everyone to there own. I may try the boil recipie to see how it turns out.

Incidently on Sunday I had a mixed game & fowl pie consisting of phesant, pigeon, teal & widgeon. The meat was only browned in onion covered with a stock and simmered for 20 min before cooling and into a pie dish covered with short crust pastry and baked for a further 1/2 hour with a few other ingreidents thrown in it was very tasty and even the wife enjoyed it.

BBL

I have never tried it that way but you know what they say "dont knock it till you have tried it"

I have to admit it seems strange but I will try it, thats if I get any fowl anytime soon :lol: