Airpistols for feral pigeons

daveman

I've seen the posts which say that rats can be shot with an air pistol. But can you kill feral pigeons with a decent spring air pistol (e.g. a Webley)? Obviously I'm talking about at close range. Looking forward to reading the usual good advice from people on this website.

Dave spring ones are not up to the job, but crossman ratcatchers are because they are recoiless you can place shots in a quarter inch group at twelve yards, this being the maximum range to kill ferals with one too. A cheap spring rifle will sort them out though if you don't want the hassle of co2.

Leon

A lot of this depends on where you are going to be shooting the ferals, if it is indoors (warehouse etc), then a cheap spring rifle would be fine or the Rat catcher - I would not recommend ANY air pistol for live quarry they are just not up to the job either power wise or accuracy.

If it is outdoor shooting then firstly do you have permission to shoot the ferals on the land? Also can you guarantee the pellet will not travel past the area you have permission.

For outdoor shooting I would get a slightly better rifle due to the increased range and accuracy needed. A BSA Lightning or Supersport with a 4x40 scope would be a pefect budget combi.

Mark.

Thanks for all your replies- the advice is much as I expected. Its a pity really as air pistols are so much more portable than rifles! Yes, I have permission to shoot the ferals. They are all around the (private) grounds of where I work. There is no danger of pellets flying off into other people's property. I have one of those cheap Chinese guns with a cheap scope (yes I know what you think of them and I agree) but am thinking of getting an Air Arms TX200HC. I'm sure the Air Arms with a decent scope will soon sort the ferals out! Once I've done that one of you lot can take me rabbit shooting with it. Cheers.

Thanks for your reply Mark. The Chinese gun is a rifle (a B2) but it seems to shoot somewhat erratically. Although I've not measured its power some shots feel of very much lower power than others. It also seems to be getting harder and harder to cock. I don't have much confidence in it. But it has indeed done the job on a few ferals. However, I'm sure the Air Arms would be vastly better.

Hi Daveman,

The TX200 is a great rifle, which is very consistent, my only negative comment about it is that I think it is too heavy, I would suggest that you have a look at one and pick it up.

Have you decided on .177 or .22? This is a debate which everyone seems to have a different opinion on, I would stick to the golden rule if you can, .177 for feather and .22 for fur.

I have rifles in both cal's and they are both effective in the right hands so practice, practice and practice some more.

Welcome to the wonderful world of shooting and air gunning.

Mark.

Cheers Mark for your further good advice mate. Yes, I've read the TX200 is heavy- that does concern me a bit as I find the Chinese gun heavy (its the carbine version with the custom Italian stock). What attracts me to the TX200 is that it has a short barrel length and a great reputation. But I will definitely follow your advice and handle one in a shop- I'll also get them to show me how to cock it a few times too (as I did with the Chinese gun)! My Chinese gun is a .22 and I was thinking of the same for the TX200. But your advice has made me think that .177 might be better for ferals (but then what if I went on to rabbits.....!!!). You've probably read my other posts on shooting feral pigeons.......why I'm interested in them is that they are a real pest and relativly easy to hit. When I read of shooters who've visited barns or warehouses and shot dozens of ferals I feel very envious. But at least there's a fair few where I work.

I agree that both a .22 and .177 with kill any legal airgun quarry if the shot is placed correctly at a reasonable range.

Leon, not sure about you but I never shoot pigeons in the head as it is a very small target that tends to always be moving, I always go for a heart\lung shot which is why a .177 can be better because it goes though the tough breast bone easier.

.177 also has a flatter flight path so gives slightly more margin for range finding error, but the .22 does hit harder and is slightly better in the wind.

As I said at the start both will do the job and at the end of the day it is personal opinion.

Mark.

but the .22 does hit harder and is slightly better in the wind.

Mark.

Wind drift is directly proportional to time spent in flight, therefore you will find that the slower .22 requires more aim-off for wind than the faster .177

Isn't a .177 tactical hunter a pro-target?

The tactical hunter is the .22 version of the pro-target if I remember correctly

1 of 5 its a tactical hunter in .22 then converted by AA to .177 using RN10 barrel makes it a bit longer but its so accurate its scary, also is well proven that a lighter .177 pellet will be buffeted round more by wind than the heavier .22.

On the subject of shooting pigeons, I either opt for a base of the neck shot (no bone but kills quick) or one in the back, the pellet has no meat to get through.

I have shot hundreds of rabbits with a .177 springer, head, neck, heart you name it. I find a .177 very adiquet (how do you spell that?!?) for all my quarry, from squirrles to crows.

I am making my PCP in .22.

Incidentaly Daveman, I am making an extra PM me if you are interested. :lol:

On the subject of shooting pigeons, I either opt for a base of the neck shot (no bone but kills quick) or one in the back, the pellet has no meat to get through.

Incidentaly Daveman, I am making an extra PM me if you are interested. :lol:

I go for head shots on the pigeons with my .22, have to say I haven't missed a chance yet and I've got almost dozen so far. With the head shot they hit the ground dead, there is no chance of them flying off - what one guy said to me was with a head shot you get three options

Miss above - bird flies off

Hit on target - dead bird

Miss below - hit neck and dead bird

I haven't missed yet so you can do it with great success on your ferals no doubt. My range would be 20-30 yards I'm not so good on the standing shots so I kneel and support my airifle, the birds I've been shooting are woodpigeon.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a pre chraged Hammerli AP40 .177 air pistol (a serious bit of kit) and let me tell you at 10 yards itll shoot as good as you are and there aint a lot of difference at 20 yds, ive taken squirrel from 15 yds, your only problem is shot placement with the iron sights as the fore sight can cover most of the squirrels head, its accurate enough to have 5 shots go through the same hole, as demonstrated with its test target that comes with the gun an manual.

I honestly dont know, my old spring target gun was no where near powerful enough for me to even consider using it, its probably only half as powerful as a rifle but then im only shooting from no more than 15 yds, usually with me right under the squirrel, it hasnt failed to penetrate as yet so i consider it humane to use.

• 1 month later...

i know this is a little off of subject but i used to own a sheridan hunter in .20 pump action i found that this flew as flat as a .177 & hit just as hard as a .22 it was a damn good rifle but it was a sod to have to keep pumping it up all the time & the ammo was a real sod to get hold of but for fur & feather a good shot to the head/c.o.m. always brought them down does any 1 else have any expieriance with .20's i have heard that you can get a .25 air rifle are they any good?

I have a .25 Supersport. The BSA barrels are somewhat undersize for most of the pellets. The ones that fit well are rubbish ballistically. At 12 ft/lb only the Mosquito/FTT pellets have a decent BC and thus energy retention. These are about 20grains so are a fairly "light" .25 pellet. These pellets need a good shove to get into the barrel but perform fine once there. The .25 does hit the target with a satisfying thud though at 12 ft/lb drops like a stone after 20 yds and is not a viable proposition beyond 30 yds for all but the best of shooters. If you've got a bit of Ratting to do the .25 is a good choice. If FAC I'd suggest the .22 is the better due to the better quality of the pellets availiable but this is not a problem at the shorter ranges a 12 ft/lb er operates at.