Gun storage

Starbuck

I'm after a bit of advice please, when storing a shotgun in a cabinet should it be barrels up or barrels down?

All the pictures of cabinets show them barrels up but a friend of mine tells me this causes oil to run down into and clog up the mechanism. Is it a valid point?

Thanks

Barrels down - some gun oils are particularly prone to softening wood, and excess oil soaking into a thin English grip has resulted in many a gun stock snapping. Take a look at some older guns and you often see dark staining from oil where the action meets the wood, and if it gets really bad the wood just looses all its strength and splits or cracks.

You can store them barrel up, which I personally find easier. Just don't go and pour silly amounts of oil into the action, they hardly need any oil, and should not be given enough to allow it to run onto the stock. With correct gun maintenance, it's fine.

That's my view totally.

Christ, are people pouring litres of oil into their guns or something?

You can store them barrel up, which I personally find easier. Just don't go and pour silly amounts of oil into the action, they hardly need any oil, and should not be given enough to allow it to run onto the stock. With correct gun maintenance, it's fine.

That's my view totally.

Christ, are people pouring litres of oil into their guns or something?

Yes, what on earth is everyone doing, the meerist hint of oil on/in the metalwork and job done.

Store them top to tail to get more in/easier access to the cabinet if you want.

:good: