lurchers/coursing?

rascal_2005

Hi guys

i regually use another online forum that mainly consentrates on running dogs. Now i love any type of dog work, be it, following the pack or lurcher work to terrier work.

i know it not everyones cup of tea, so i was wondering adsthis is a shooting website how many of you guys work with running dogs and also what people think of it?

be honest, im a big boy and im sure i can handle it.

Just want to see peoples opinions on the subject.

Thanks

Rascal

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was involved with lurchers for many years. We kept a familly line that went back generations, yet was largely ruined when daytime hare coursing for money bacame the thing to do. The last of the line died 14 yrs- 15yrs ago at 13yrs of age, my own bitch and although she was quick she couldn't be called agile (always hitting fences, loosing her footing on the dips) and to be blunt she was a thick as a brick! certainly not something i should like to perpetuate via continuing. i would like to see the Lurcher go back to its roots personally as a pot filling hunters dog, fast and agile but with real guile and a bidable nature now the law has changed as regards Hares etc. However with the popularity of Bull crosses and illegal regular use on Deer from the less than ligitimate owner i fear the word "lurcher" will take on a whole new image over the next twenty years and a far worse one than previous at that.

Perhaps the Wippet will come back as the working dog of the North, i was being told some tales the other week by a guy i know well in his mid nineties now about organised racing every week in summer on the local common ground, Rat hunting evenings and wintertime rabbiting for the pot.

Once had an ex greyhound which was the fastest thing I have ever seen, just incredible!

It was also possibly the most stupidest animal I have ever owned, maybe joint first with an idiot of a Dales pony I once had.

Had a small Saluki cross which would catch hares for fun despite only being small. Would never ever chase anything she didn't think she could catch, if the rabbit had a chance of making it to the burrow she wouldn't chase it. She caught dozens of them and would often sit for a couple of hours watching and waiting for them to get far enough from the burrow. I think she was the cleverest dog I have ever known, and incredibly loyal too. I could call her when she was running and she'd turn and come straight to me. I miss Sally a great deal.

Haven't had a dog for some years now though.

I kept and worked lurchers in my yoof, my best being a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie that was given to me by the local hunt kennelman as a thankyou for helping him over the years.

That bitch was the fastest, cleverest, sneakiest, most faithful dog I have ever owned god bless her. She passed away in her sleep aged 16 and was by far the toughest dog to get over.

Many years ago (When I lived in the Cotswolds) I used to keep working lurchers and terriers which were worked regularly, the lurcher both for hare coursing and lamping rabbits and foxes. In my opinion there is very little to beat watching a good lurcher working a hare in daytime or rabbits on the lamp - except maybe for watching a Bird Of Prey out hunting.

Attached is a photo taken many years ago (Back in the days when I had all my own hair and teeth and Lambourne Lurcher Trials was still going) with my prized lurcher bitch and one of my terriers with the first fox they took together. The terrier went to ground and bolted the fox and the lurcher then nailed it within about 50 yards. She made the mistake of grabbing the fox on the hind quarters and got bitten just above her nose (You can just see the wound on the photo) and she learned a valuable lesson from that experience. After that every fox she took she would take by the throat or the head.

post-17172-0-75897200-1349174716_thumb.gif

Edited by Frenchieboy

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

this really has suprised me... i didnt think there would be that many people on here that kept lurchers in days gone by, let alone keep them now!! feels you with a little bit of confidance.

i have my self a 7 month old lurcher pup and im looking forward to the next feww months that will lead up to NEXT season.

shes starting to come on a little now and is picking up the whole running business, rather than that pupple gallop lol.

i have to aggree with you frenchie, watching dogs work is one of the best things i do!! i have hardly picked a gun up in the last year or so!! lovely looking dog aswell frenchie, what went into her? im guessing deer/grey. looks like a real old type, getting harder to find now ;)

Cracking pic of a time now passed, love lurchers always have. Got a beddy x pretty sure there's a touch of bull in there too and not keen on anything with bull in to be honest.

Great workers and lazy round the house mines a very balanced dog if not a little thick and scruffy like his owner.

Karpman

WELL WELL WELL!!!!

this really has suprised me... i didnt think there would be that many people on here that kept lurchers in days gone by, let alone keep them now!! feels you with a little bit of confidance.

i have my self a 7 month old lurcher pup and im looking forward to the next feww months that will lead up to NEXT season.

shes starting to come on a little now and is picking up the whole running business, rather than that pupple gallop lol.

i have to aggree with you frenchie, watching dogs work is one of the best things i do!! i have hardly picked a gun up in the last year or so!! lovely looking dog aswell frenchie, what went into her? im guessing deer/grey. looks like a real old type, getting harder to find now ;)

Rascal my friend you are miles out on your guess! She was a bedlington/whippet back to a saluki/collie and 22 and a half inches at the shoulder and more game that you could imagine! Back in those days during the darker months we used to lamp her up to 5 nights a week, rest her on the Saturday and go coursing on the Sunday. Her only fault was that if she was allowed to run a fox she would go very hard mouthed for the next day or so and as such she useless on rabbits as she would bruise them badly and the butchers would not buy them from us.

Connor.

431262_335265429849144_485574482_n.jpg

You know mate that is one hell of a good looking dog, the sort that I used to favour in the old days. If you had put Gemma along side of your dog you could easily be forgived for thinking they were related. Seeing that photo of Connor you can not imagine what I would give to have another dog like that!