What pistol would you have?

PandaMagee

What was your opinion of the CZ? My 85 sat snugly in my hand and was very pointable. First choice by many at the club for service pistol.

I liked the CZ75, Only problem was it didn't have ambi safety, and I'm left handed. The curved backstrap was great, it fitted me really well. Reliabilty was top too.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colt 1911 is pretty highly regarded. The real question is "for what use" If I were just plinking a .22 target is great, if I were concerned about stopping power, the .45 is the best in my opinion. It can loadesd down to minimal recoil and still has lots of energy. The 1911 can be had in lots of models from plain jane to fully customized.

Don't know if they're still available commercially,but back then you could buy conversion kits for the 1911 which would allow you to shoot .22rf through it also.

You can still have a 1911 there is nothing to stop you. Just got to join a heritage club and pay the extortionate price that some dealer would want for it. Having owned a 1911 for a short while I wouldn't want another. Most people who bought them lost interest in them after a while.

You can own any pistol by joining a club in NI and keeping it at the club. Easyjet and Ryanair do the rest.

This was the one they used to join I believe

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Carrowdore-and-District-Shooting-Recreational-Club-P7591

Edited by Vince Green

Then you don't know how to shoot one then is all I can offer.

Nonsense. I can shoot accurately with any CZ, SIG, Beretta as well many other different makes of firearm. If my technique works for these guns then why not with a Glock? I am very familiar with Glock's on the whole, and even when using the Glock click during shooting, the accuracy doesn't get any better. That's using a multitude of different ammo.

i have no personal experience with any pistols but dancake i can t see how you dont rate glocks? ???? one of the best selling pistols out there,reliable to boot. police forces worldwide are nt buying inaccurate pistols for their officers.

Police like glocks because accuracy is acceptable they reliable light and mainly because they are cheap. If people have a choice of pistol for the range few buy glocks.

You also have to use FMJ rds in them because of the type of rifling in the barrel most at clubs like to load their own rds lead no copper jacket. Firing such rds out of a glock could destroy the pistol.

Edited by ordnance

Glocks have an acceptable level of accuracy, but will never be able to match the likes of a CZ out of the box. As ordnance said, the police buy them because they get them cheap, and the reliability of Glock pistols is fantastic in terms of feeding rounds. They are not without their problems though. In the past 2 weekends, I witnessed 2 Glocks jamming. This is rare tbh, but it still happened. I also have reliable witness testimony of a brand new Glock exploding, causing a lot of injury to the shooter at the time. The same would be extremely unlikely to occur in a steel framed pistol.

Regardless of how safe Glock's are made out to be, it is the one pistol that new shooters seem to pick up and rest their thumb directly behind the slide. I have lost count of how many times I have had to point this out to people, yet injury's still happen for this very reason. Nobody does it with a CZ or Beretta, and most seem to prefer the later over the Glock. Some people out there would swear by them, but my personal experieces (as well as others voicing their opinions to me), would tend to make me steer clear of Glock pistols.

Glocks have an acceptable level of accuracy, but will never be able to match the likes of a CZ out of the box. As ordnance said, the police buy them because they get them cheap, and the reliability of Glock pistols is fantastic in terms of feeding rounds. They are not without their problems though. In the past 2 weekends, I witnessed 2 Glocks jamming. This is rare tbh, but it still happened. I also have reliable witness testimony of a brand new Glock exploding, causing a lot of injury to the shooter at the time. The same would be extremely unlikely to occur in a steel framed pistol.

Regardless of how safe Glock's are made out to be, it is the one pistol that new shooters seem to pick up and rest their thumb directly behind the slide. I have lost count of how many times I have had to point this out to people, yet injury's still happen for this very reason. Nobody does it with a CZ or Beretta, and most seem to prefer the later over the Glock. Some people out there would swear by them, but my personal experieces (as well as others voicing their opinions to me), would tend to make me steer clear of Glock pistols.

jamming issues maybe down to shooters being lean with powder amounts whilst reoading???? have saw berettas in the gunshop with bulged barrels so not a glock only issue.

These jams were with factory loads. The Glock exploding was with a homeload. Beretta's also have a common problem. The slide tends to crack beside the breech after so many thousand rounds, but I'd still have one before a Glock. It just feels better and shoots better. Homeloads seem to be the cause of the major pistol malfunctions.

If I were to go back into handguns I wouldn't go the conventional route, ie; S/W, Sig, Glock etc, have to be something different.

I always fancied a German Artillery Luger, just something about the Luger when you hold it, fits the hand loverly, if you can afford one..!!

As for Glocks, to much plastic, felt like a water pistol compared to the S/W 29, everyone to there own.

A real handful was the Ruger Super RedHawk in 44.

still reckon any police force would have to field test any pistols before putting them into service. would be a big mistake if they put somethin prone to failure in service. surely they would have to opt for reliability and function. googled it and over 65 % of us police forces use glock with sales rocketing. bad product ,i can`t see it

still reckon any police force would have to field test any pistols before putting them into service. would be a big mistake if they put somethin prone to failure in service. surely they would have to opt for reliability and function. googled it and over 65 % of us police forces use glock with sales rocketing. bad product ,i can`t see it

Try one side by side with a CZ or other decent steel framed pistol. If you were to offer police forces worldwide the option of having any pistol of their own personal choice, the Glock wouldn't do so well. Even our own police don't like them. Many of whom have never fired another pistol to compare, but still know that what they have isn't really what they feel comfortable with.

In most European police forces you have no choice you get the pistol you are issued with. There are a lot of more accurate pistols out there. For club shooting you have a choice of any pistol you want few choose glocks. When looking for a pistol for police price is usually at the top of the list. PS. If you know any gun club members see if you can get a few shoots with a glock and a CZ or SIG and see which one you would spend your money on.

Edited by ordnance

I liked the idea of the glock so i swapped a 686 for one, it was mediocre in all aspects, not particularly accurate, not very ergonomic, that dreadful trigger which always felt as if it flexed and and gave a twangy feel when you let a shot off.

Compared to the vastly superior 1911 its a no contest

Ian.

I liked the idea of the glock so i swapped a 686 for one, it was mediocre in all aspects, not particularly accurate, not very ergonomic, that dreadful trigger which always felt as if it flexed and and gave a twangy feel when you let a shot off.

Ian.

Thats like trading your Bentley in for a Vauxhall Vectra.

It's a wide question, what would you want to do with the pistol ?

My personal favourite target gun was a S&W 52-2 auto in .38 special wadcutter, it had the best trigger I have ever used and the factory test target showed a 1" group at 50yds. The build quality was stunning for a big factory.

The best built revolver I have used, but sadly couldn't afford to own, was a Manhurin. Top quality.

Model 52 S&W ......Oh the memories ......One brilliant ....Fabulous gun.

Hadn't seen the reference to the Mannhurin.....had a go with a mates once and it was a delight to shoot.More accurate than I was capable of.First 10 rounds in the black with a pistol for me was with a mates big single-action revolver;the Ruger 'Bisley' Blackhawk.Lovely gun;second was with my S&W Model 29 .44 Mag,scoring 89ex100, and using homeloads of 250grn Tyne semi-wadcutters in front of 5.0 grns of hercules Bullseye powder.I can remember this because I still have the target and am copying what I've written on it.Date was Monday,7.8.89,on Warcop 30m range.Happy days!I think I may even have still had some hair back then!

hi all i would agree with you all but this is my rant

i used to build race guns before the goverment told me i was a danger to the public and was a gun nut! this was my liveing i would get around 50 orders a year so it was enough to keep me and mine in good order. be it 38 super 9x25 9x19 40 sw etc all the regular pratical comp guns, when i had to hand over all my stock it sent me into the red, and i never got what i had laid out for due to vat and other mind changeing within the f.c.s the amount the bull **** we went though was and mind **** it cost the tax payer£££££££££ ,we will never know due to a notice on the amount paid out.

on the what gun would i like back i would have to say a para ord in 38 super or wide frame 9x25 neck down 10mil to 9mil run like a dream and as fast **** of a wet stick .or the best work gun would be a 45acp loaded with black tallon and glaser slugs.

oh well dream on

ps i lost my traid and my livin. AND GUN crime went up 40% after that law was past. i was stuffed in a dole line for two years due to the lack of pistol gun makers jobs .i had to get a loan and retrain The dhss told me i put myself out of a job?.

paul o' (rant over)

STILL we do live within the law and we do need them to protect us when the robbers call!!