What pistol would you have?

PandaMagee

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people in the UK forget that shooting and blowing stuff up can be fun, and doesn't necessarily make you a balaclava bedsit boy.

If I was visiting a place where handguns were legal I'd like to have a go on a Walther PPK (because it's James Bond's gun), and a decent revolver such as a S&W 586.

I think in all honesty, even if they were legal here, I would get bored with them quite quickly. I don't think I would want one.

I'd also quite like to fire an RPG-7 at an old Iraqi truck once, precisely for the same reason.

I also want a go on one of those AA-12 full-auto shotguns. That looks like fun. I had a ppk could not hit a barn door at twenty feet,not a lot of fun to shoot :no:

I done a bit of handgun shooting in Thailand in the range. I have to say the nicest handgun I shot there was the Beretta 9mm. Had a nice feel to it, recoiled a bit but was shootable and you could aim it but with the Colt 45 the recoil was jus to much it was sending the gun up and t right, so I was trying to counter that by aiming below and to the left but to not much evail.

All these films you see with people sotting these 45's accuratly with gun on its side is utter rubbish

I must say the Glock 18 ( Fully auto ) handgun looks awesome and I'd love to have a shot of the 50cal handgun that's gonna kick lol.

Edited by lewis2012

Yes,all those who wanted it were compensated.Some guns were destroyed,some sent abroad,some 'lost'.

COMPENSATED!!! Thats a laugh. Many shooters .myself included received compensation that did'nt truly reflect the true value of their guns. In other words seizing what had been a legal possession one minute until the ludicrous 1997 amendment act rendered them illegal. If my memory serves me correctly you could appeal and opt to challenge the basic compensation offer in the hope of getting what your gun or guns were truly worth. TBH though, i along with many other shooters at the time felt that the long drawn out affair of appealing just was'nt worth the hassle, and bare in mind that the shooting fraternity had already been kicked in the teeth with the ban on semi-auto rifles and the 1988 amendment act. Again the so called compensation then did'nt reflect the true value either.

So "those who wanted it" certainly did'nt receive compensation in the true form. Day light robbery springs to mind!!!

Apologies for drifting off topic somewhat

COMPENSATED!!! Thats a laugh. Many shooters .myself included received compensation that did'nt truly reflect the true value of their guns.

So "those who wanted it" certainly did'nt receive compensation in the true form. Day light robbery springs to mind!!!

Fair enough,but why didn't you receive the 'true value' of your guns,or in 'the true form'?

I received an extremely good price for mine(much more than I paid for them)and I also received a good price for all my reloading gear and accessories.Admittedly,HO officials tried to dismiss my latter claims by using the excuse I would be able to use them for reloading carbine ammunition,but after making it plain I didn;t intend to shoot carbine they had no choice but to cough up.

Fair enough,but why didn't you receive the 'true value' of your guns,or in 'the true form'?

I received an extremely good price for mine(much more than I paid for them)and I also received a good price for all my reloading gear and accessories.Admittedly,HO officials tried to dismiss my latter claims by using the excuse I would be able to use them for reloading carbine ammunition,but after making it plain I didn;t intend to shoot carbine they had no choice but to cough up.

it would be interesting to know what the total cost of this was for the government! i dont remember much of a fuss being made at the time about the cost, but i suspect it should have been (i might well have just missed the 'fuss' due to being a yoof preoccupied with other interests)

Edited by pegasus bridge

Hi Scully,

If my memory serves me correctly i received £150 for my 686 and £150 for my beretta 92f. certainly much less than what i bought them for. On reflection i think i should have pushed for more but like i said in my earlier post having been "robbed by the then government of my semi-auto and receiving again a pittance of its true value i think i was, along with many other shooters at the time and probably yourself included feeling a little demoralised somewhat. My reloading gear i sold to an RFD as i thought i may as well try and recoup a little cash. Sad days they were when i think back and together with what shooters had been put through and together with the birth of my daughter i gave up shooting for a little while. But you do miss it or certainly i did and so i took it up again and tbh i really enjoy my hobby :good:

ATB,

Pat

Hi Scully,

If my memory serves me correctly i received £150 for my 686 and £150 for my beretta 92f. certainly much less than what i bought them for. On reflection i think i should have pushed for more but like i said in my earlier post having been "robbed by the then government of my semi-auto and receiving again a pittance of its true value i think i was, along with many other shooters at the time and probably yourself included feeling a little demoralised somewhat. My reloading gear i sold to an RFD as i thought i may as well try and recoup a little cash. Sad days they were when i think back and together with what shooters had been put through and together with the birth of my daughter i gave up shooting for a little while. But you do miss it or certainly i did and so i took it up again and tbh i really enjoy my hobby :good:

ATB,

Pat

Hi Pat

Yep,you're right,that wasn't a fair price at all.I may be wrong,but reading between the lines it sounds as if you settled for what the HO was offering,which,feeling as you say,'demoralised',is perfectly understandable.I don't know if I felt demoralised,but I certainly remember feeling extremely ****** off,and so visited at least two RFD's who dealt in handguns and submitted the highest valuation I was given.I then removed all the customised add-ons I had bought for my 1911 and revolvers,such as LPA's,Pachmeyers,trigger shoe etc,and all custom grips for revolvers and made an additional claim for them.I itemised everything;speed-loaders,clips,holsters,brass,primers,bullet puller,primer-pocket reamer ...literally everything,and claimed for these also.If I hadn't been so angry I probably wouldn't have bothered,but simply done the same as you.I know exactly where you're coming from and considered stopping myself,for a while.I certainly let my club membership lapse,and haven't been there since,even though the club still goes on.

Another annoying aspect was receiving a phone call at work one day,from a civil servant,asking why I had claimed for two different types of brass for my 1911,namely some being .45ACP shell cases, and the other type being .45 Automatic Colt Pistol shell cases! Glad to hear you didn't give it up for long....don't let the ******* grind you down! :good:

Anyhow,to get back on topic,I always fancied one of those little .22 Deringers made by North American Arms(?)

They are all selling like hot cakes at the moment in the USA . As they fear that Obama might get in for another term.

Even Ruger have had to stop all orders as they can't cope with the demand.

Over 1,000,000 sold in the past few weeks 15% to women!!

They refuse to be victims.

Hi Scully,

ATB,

Pat

i had a Desert Eagle .357, S&W 6" chrome 686 .357 Revolver, CZ75 9mm auto, .22 target pistol i canrt remember the name off and a BRNO .22 rifle, i recieved 1500 quid for them + my reloading gear and was happy, if i remember rightly it was about what i payed for them.

Hi Scully, PatG,

Did you hand in your pistols at the beginning of the hand in period or did you wait right to the bitter end?

I submitted mine on the first day and was handsomely compensated after a week and a half.

My mates asked why i would not wait untill the end of the handing in period and i said whats the point, they are taking my pistols so i will get it over and done with and move onto buying some rifles.

Ian.

Hi Scully, PatG,

Did you hand in your pistols at the beginning of the hand in period or did you wait right to the bitter end?

I submitted mine on the first day and was handsomely compensated after a week and a half.

My mates asked why i would not wait untill the end of the handing in period and i said whats the point, they are taking my pistols so i will get it over and done with and move onto buying some rifles.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

Do you know its so long ago now i could'nt be certain but i don't think it was at the beginning of the hand in period. My theory being that i would hang on for as long as i could and use my pistols for as long as i could. I did enjoy pistol shooting :yes: Ultimately though because of that i probably lost out somewhat. Saying that i held onto my semi-auto rifle as long as i could and literally handed it in to my local police station with a couple of days to go. It was a pristine example of a British L1A1 (SLR) which i used on the range with my club.I owned a Ruger Mini 14 before the SLR. I can remember distinctly that a Police officer who was working behind the desk saw what was being handed over and came running over like a kid in a sweet shop :unsure: picked it up and started to handle it saying how he had used one whilst serving with the army in Northern Ireland. Aye well water under the bridge now ;) .

I notice you're from Daventry. We had our Narrowboat moored at Blisworth a few years ago :good:

ATB,

Pat

Hi Ian,I can't recall exactly when I actually handed them in,but I didn't wait until the deadline,that I do know.I certainly spent a long time compiling a long list of items;and still have some of the relevant paperwork somewhere. Bought a brand new Ruger M77 .22 Magnum with some of the proceeds,and had plenty left over for a Beretta! :good:

I made a healthy profit when i handed my handguns in . The corker was 2 month's previous i bought 16000 used 38 special cases from Leicester shooting centre for £60-00 and on hand in i got 10p a case £1600 ontop of the gun's and accessories .

Back to topic i would still like my 9mm Browning sport back in the days of PP1.

Edited by Andy H

I made a healthy profit when i handed my handguns in . The corker was 2 month's previous i bought 16000 used 38 special cases from Leicester shooting centre for £60-00 and on hand in i got 10p a case £1600 ontop of the gun's and accessories .

Back to topic i would still like my 9mm Browning sport back in the days of PP1.

klass lol.

it would be interesting to know what the total cost of this was for the government! i dont remember much of a fuss being made at the time about the cost, but i suspect it should have been (i might well have just missed the 'fuss' due to being a yoof preoccupied with other interests)

I seem to recall the sum being sixty five million pounds set aside to compensate shooters and dealers.