Adams first fox

cockercas

This was a lamp shy fox alex. When I picked it up in the lamp it was trying to keep out of the wind in a bit of ploughing bordering the stubble. Agreed the shot was a little far back and I pointed this out to him when we picked it up. There seems to be an increase in lamp shy foxes around my end to. I put this down to the lad shooting over the boundary. I keep getting told he is missing a lot of foxes.

with a bit of wind I wouldn't worry about being a bit back its a .243 it did the job fine very rare even if you go even further back for them to get more than 20 yards before they bleed out. the worst mistake you can make is holding off one to account for wind and missing it in front. I just wait for them to be side on knowing evenwere it to drift 6" I will still get a decent hit. Longer shots are easily explained when you are on shy ones I hate taking them especially as ours only stop momentarily but you get to the point where you just have to take whatever you are given at this time of year.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Must have a very good scope to shoot foxs at 300 metres in the dark???( allso lamp shy) a lamp shy fox is gone as soon as the light hits it. well done adam.

Looks like a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50ir to me. That should be plenty good enough to pick out a fox at 300yds under a lamp. And even the lamp-shy ones usually stop for a look.

It was his choice to pull the trigger. I never forced him to. He could of passed the shot up but didn't. Maybe ie hit a nerve because my friend shot his first fox at a range you are left dreaming about? Please if you are going to call me a liar do it direct and not tip toe around. Btw it was adams first fox, not first time shooting the .243. He has had practise but not @300m.

Don't have to explain mate ,pat on the back I say

Cracking shot :good:

I guess the questions arose from the fact you had your rifle zeroed at 300 because you were expecting to see a lamp shy fox at that range...yet still allowed an inexperienced (Fox) shooter to be the 1 that was to take this particular shot...not criticising,just i can see where it's coming from.

Adams not 'in-experinced'. Just never shot a fox. He is a good shot, he has no Problem shooting rabbits @200+ meters under the lamp with the hornet. Is a 300meter shot hard? Like everything I suppose the more you do it the better you are,personally I would of been comfortable even with a bit extra distance on the shot. Granted adam was chucked in the deep end but he made the disision to pull the trigger. A 300 meter shot around here is not un-common, long wide fields means there is no way to close the gap. As for the sound, he had said he thought he had missed as the report of the impact took a while to bounce back to us.

Can't see what all the critisism is about, rifle was set at 300 mtrs, scope was good enough to pick up the fox, rifle was more than capable of killing the fox at that distance, with a small adjustment for wind he must have been confident in his ability to take the shot, fair play to a cracking shot. Why can't people just accept a good shot taken instead of a thousand what could have beens.

Can't see what all the critisism is about, rifle was set at 300 mtrs, scope was good enough to pick up the fox, rifle was more than capable of killing the fox at that distance, with a small adjustment for wind he must have been confident in his ability to take the shot, fair play to a cracking shot. Why can't people just accept a good shot taken instead of a thousand what could have beens.

simply because some actually use rifles and know what can be done, shooting off a wing mirror using someone elses gun no FAC obviously on cockers land to make it legal and at what most fox shooters call the edge of sensible at night. Its not just about dialling in its any slight movement with the trigger pulls the shot a mile at that range. Some on here would make you think its an easy shot but its far from it, with a rifle set up on bags and handloaded ammo and the scope mag up to 30 I can get under 2" groups at that range in bright daylight on a still day, off a wingmirror no chance.

Really its just a thread best forgotten before people get upset the difference with the posters is some don't have any idea what this kind of shot involves. Luck would be my main point.

I really can't for the life of me see why so many are kicking off about Adam being allowed to take this fox out at 300 yards. It was a great shot and that is that!

We get no end of threads talking about taking shots at ranges that far excede the 300 yard range in this thread and loads of videos about shooting rabbits at greater ranges than this fox was shot at. In most of those threads and videos people are saying things like "Great Shot", "Well Done" or "Let's see more of these" yet as soon as a "younger" or "less experienced" shooter takes one (Under supervision) all of you shooting gurus and experts want to tear the OP appart for allowing it!

Some of you guys need to sort yourself out and decide - It's either Ok for everyone to take long range (300 yards) shots at a fox or it's not, you can't keep saying it's OK for some but not OK for others. Another way to look at it is to ask yourselves - When I took my first "long range shot" at a fox or a rabbit was that OK or was I not shooting responsibly" - I'm willing to bet that you thought it was OK to do it so why put another shooter down for doing the same thing.

Let's have less of the double standards guys and accept that Adam pulled of a very fine shot indeed!

If he owned the land or was the gamekeeper then yes, if not then nope.

Frenchie just think how many people would you lend your .243 to and say have a punt at that fox way in the distance in the lamp. Would you take the shot off the wing mirror not many I know would. 300 yards gets talked about on here like its shooting rabbits at 50 and its far from it but there is the difference between those that do shoot foxes and those that don't which is clear on this thread. People that do shoot them are reserved those who have picked up most knowledge from the net think its fine. Whichever way it was a lucky shot a dead fox but what were the odds? not the usual odds I like which far favours me over the fox

If he owned the land or was the gamekeeper then yes, if not then nope.

Frenchie just think how many people would you lend your .243 to and say have a punt at that fox way in the distance in the lamp. Would you take the shot off the wing mirror not many I know would. 300 yards gets talked about on here like its shooting rabbits at 50 and its far from it but there is the difference between those that do shoot foxes and those that don't which is clear on this thread. People that do shoot them are reserved those who have picked up most knowledge from the net think its fine. Whichever way it was a lucky shot a dead fox but what were the odds? not the usual odds I like which far favours me over the fox

If you feel that someone under your charge is confident and able to take such a shot (Remembering in this case that Adam was used to using the rifle concerned) then are you going to say to them,"Don't take that shot as I don't have confidence in your abilities and it might get me slagged off on PigeonWatch".

Just out of interest would you like to say who you are refering to when you say "there is the difference between those that do shoot foxes and those that don't which is clear on this thread." Because some members do not always want to put posts or photos up about the foxes they have shot in case they get "pounced on" like Adam has does not mean that they do not or are not capable of or do not shoot foxes with a high degree of success.

If you feel that someone under your charge is confident and able to take such a shot (Remembering in this case that Adam was used to using the rifle concerned) then are you going to say to them,"Don't take that shot as I don't have confidence in your abilities and it might get me slagged off on PigeonWatch".

Just out of interest would you like to say who you are refering to when you say "there is the difference between those that do shoot foxes and those that don't which is clear on this thread." Because some members do not always want to put posts or photos up about the foxes they have shot in case they get "pounced on" like Adam has does not mean that they do not or are not capable of or do not shoot foxes with a high degree of success.

that is true we don't know the extent of the mentoring that has gone on or the practice, be interesting to know the difference in drop over a 100 yard zero with the combo as really going out zeroed at 300 yards could mean some serious calculations going on when you encountered a close one.

To answer the who was it aimed at frenchie I was assuming you shot a fair few so were well versed with how "easy" 300 yard plus foxes are so it wasn't you. I was just trying to suggest looking from your experience would you attempt it or encourage someones first fox with a .243 to be at that range. Personally I think most of the lamped foxes at that range involve the range being measured by people with very small legs, I know with a lightforce 170 no filter it takes a while for me to be happy that I'm on a fox at that range and thats with a scope I can wind up a lot more than 12

Edited by al4x

Al4x. Yes I have shot a fair few and some of them I have had to think carefully about as they have been a bit rangey so I would agree with you that a 300 yard fox is not the easiest of shots, but the point is that Adam took the shot with confidence and did so very well! Earlier in the post I believe it says that the scopes were set to 300 yards so the hold over issue or the bullet drop does not come into question here especially as the range was clearly known. But as for some people that shoot foxes on the lamp having short legs when they pace out a distance I couldn't agree more, especially when they are on the lamp - I'm certain that there are a few "exagerations" on here when it comes to ranges!

Surely the main issue here is that Adam has been gaining experience for quite a while with someone that does know exactly what they are doing and he has had plenty of practice at the range mentioned. He took the shot with fine style (as the photo with the result shows) and the range was known and not guessed.Surely we more experienced shooters should be encouraging newer and younger shooters, and if need be helping them with advice and words of wisdom trather than putting them down - Which this thread seems to be doing in some cases!

I'm sorry if I sound argumentative but to have so many looking like they are putting the lad down for such a fine shot really annoys me. Sometimes my words come out wrong and maki it look like I am pointing the finger at on person in particular - This is not the case nor is it what is intended, I am just generalising.