Adams first fox

cockercas

After months and months of watching many foxes shot I let adam shoot with the .243. Altho he has seen a lot of foxes shot he has never shot one his self. Last night he got his first in style.shot of the wing mirror with 15mph full value wind and just a tad over 300meters it dropped dead on the spot and was quite an old vixen. Probably the best shot I have witnessed.

IMG_1757.jpg.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes you can. I know all the ranges on my permissions from pratting around with the range finder. Dirt track to canal bank is 285m. Allow for the extra meters because it wasn't a straight line from us to the fox/canal. I can laser the exact range if you like. 300m is a bit lenient. I'd put money on it knocking 320m.

The gun/scope is set for 300m shot as I keep seeing one on the canal bank. Windage was called out and adam 'held off'. Bit of lady luck and he dropped the fox.

Yes you can. I know all the ranges on my permissions from pratting around with the range finder. Dirt track to canal bank is 285m. Allow for the extra meters because it wasn't a straight line from us to the fox/canal. I can laser the exact range if you like. 300m is a bit lenient. I'd put money on it knocking 320m.

The gun/scope is set for 300m shot as I keep seeing one on the canal bank. Windage was called out and adam 'held off'. Bit of lady luck and he dropped the fox.

A lot of lady luck Id say.

Who would contemplate allowing someone to shoot at their first fox at 320 metres?

Who would go out with a rifle zeroed at 300m , what if you saw the fox at 100 metres?

And as for hold off for the windage how did he know how far to allow and how can that be accurately guessed at 320 m in the dark :hmm:

A lot of lady luck Id say.

Who would contemplate allowing someone to shoot at their first fox at 320 metres?

Who would go out with a rifle zeroed at 300m , what if you saw the fox at 100 metres?

And as for hold off for the windage how did he know how far to allow and how can that be accurately guessed at 320 m in the dark :hmm:

Give him a break mate. Why be so objectionable?

Do you know Adam's shooting ability? Just because he hasn't shot the .243 doesn't mean he can't handle a rifle.

I zero my .22 for 70yds but are you going to question why? I saw a rabbit at 25 yds this evening but it doesn't matter as I know the hold under required so I shot it in the head.

As for windage - I'd guess that he clearly had good coaching.

Above all you're questioning his integrity.

Greg.

Give him a break mate. Why be so objectionable?

Do you know Adam's shooting ability? Just because he hasn't shot the .243 doesn't mean he can't handle a rifle.

I zero my .22 for 70yds but are you going to question why? I saw a rabbit at 25 yds this evening but it doesn't matter as I know the hold under required so I shot it in the head.

As for windage - I'd guess that he clearly had good coaching.

Above all you're questioning his integrity.

Greg.

Would you allow someone to shoot at their 1st fox at 320 metres in the dark ? Honest reply please?

Obviously dosent shoot as much as I do. I answered the question about the gun set @300m. If one comes up @100 then aim a little low. Its not rocket science. Windage I called out more than needed to compensate for him not allowing enough. Why would I go out with a rifle zeroed @100m if I was going to encounter a fox at 300m??? Mabey adam

should have your user name?

Obviously dosent shoot as much as I do. I answered the question about the gun set @300m. If one comes up @100 then aim a little low. Its not rocket science. Windage I called out more than needed to compensate for him not allowing enough. Why would I go out with a rifle zeroed @100m if I was going to encounter a fox at 300m??? Mabey adam

should have your user name?

Are you pyshic or something? How did you know you were going to see a fox at 300 metres?

It was his choice to pull the trigger. I never forced him to. He could of passed the shot up but didn't. Maybe ie hit a nerve because my friend shot his first fox at a range you are left dreaming about? Please if you are going to call me a liar do it direct and not tip toe around. Btw it was adams first fox, not first time shooting the .243. He has had practise but not @300m.

i know were foxhunters comeing from and i agree with him in a way if it was the first time he had ever shot a rifle but you say he could shoot so its not as bad i suppose,but it is possible to shoot far out easily i think if your zero,d at that range, i had a friend who zero,d his 22.250 at 300 yards all the time, i could,nt weigh him up but it worked for him,only if he see a fox at 70 yard he must of had to aim at its feet to hit it,

After months and months of watching many foxes shot I let adam shoot with the .243. Altho he has seen a lot of foxes shot he has never shot one his self. Last night he got his first in style.shot of the wing mirror with 15mph full value wind and just a tad over 300meters it dropped dead on the spot and was quite an old vixen. Probably the best shot I have witnessed.

IMG_1757.jpg.

Well done to Adam, as we say in Essex “Just put the cross hairs on and whack it…”

I shot one last week @ 312 yds off my quad sticks; you just need to know the land and you gun…..

TEH

What a great way for Adam to be "blooded" and at a good range too, I would suspect that there are a few on here that would shy away from such a shot at that range! As for letting someone take their first fox at that range - Why no as long as you know that the rifle and scopes are set correctly and they are used to using that particular gun, if you have confidence in their abilities then let them go for it.

Like TEH has said - You just need to know the land and your gun, and of course you do need to know who the "knockers" are!

Excellent shooting Adam, well done! :good: :good: :good:

i know were foxhunters comeing from and i agree with him in a way if it was the first time he had ever shot a rifle but you say he could shoot so its not as bad i suppose,but it is possible to shoot far out easily i think if your zero,d at that range, i had a friend who zero,d his 22.250 at 300 yards all the time, i could,nt weigh him up but it worked for him,only if he see a fox at 70 yard he must of had to aim at its feet to hit it,

I'm mixed on views as well obviously windage pulled the shot back more than ideal but it did the job. 300 yards under the lamp if usually best left to others, you get one chance on foxes under the lamp before making them shy and we like to do a bit more than hope and pray and cross fingers. But a .243 with 75grn vmax will be under 3" high at 100 yards and an inch at 50 so perfectly useable in general use.

The side issue is I've now shot two injured foxes this year that have made it onto our ground, one had a broken led and you could see it had been shot and the second had a graze down its jaw and a load of missing teeth. Couple that with a heap of lamp shy foxes we obviously have a local into pot shots as well.

This was a lamp shy fox alex. When I picked it up in the lamp it was trying to keep out of the wind in a bit of ploughing bordering the stubble. Agreed the shot was a little far back and I pointed this out to him when we picked it up. There seems to be an increase in lamp shy foxes around my end to. I put this down to the lad shooting over the boundary. I keep getting told he is missing a lot of foxes.