Adams first fox

cockercas

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

from a mirror in the dark I reckon with plenty of experience I'd get a 6" group possibly, but with the wind over that distance that group could well be 6" from where I would guestimate it to be.

Put me on the top of my pickup on a bipod with a bag under the rear of the rifle and I reckon I'd be back down to 2" but and the big but again is wind dependant. I tend to use 75grain vmax which do seem to perform better in the wind, certainly the longer foxes I've shot have been still nights and with a perfect rest. I wouldn't entertain it off the wing mirror as I know its hard enough sub 200

the simple fact is some treat foxes like paper as in this case the thing with paper is you can't wound it or make it more lamp shy, its the fact we do shoot a fair few foxes that I know its not a shot that a novice takes and if they do its sheer luck to have a hit.

Edited by al4x

I wouldn't attempt to shoot a fox with a 6" group though anyone who would I wouldn't want to shoot with. Couple that to having shot a good few hundred foxes with a .243 now only a couple of which would have been anywhere near that range as we use a bit of fieldcraft.

Its the thick end of 350 yards under a lamp with someone with next to no experience from a bad rest on a windy night come on thats a fluke no other word for it we can discuss till the cows come home but what I'd like to see is Fister setting up and witnessing a few shots onto paper under the conditions and I would lay money on a fox sized target having some far from ideal holes on and around it.

I am making a note of all the Pro shooters on here that say they can shoot this and shoot that. And to those folk to prove to those that say it cant be done :good: Then after Father Christmas has been to you all, (as long as you've been good) will arrange a meet in the midlands at a rifle shoot (Catton) and we can see how the Pro's do it.

You can even bring your own wing mirror if you want, cant be fairer than that now can we :good:

Then when the deed is done we can sit back and say,

" I told you so"

Then;-

Chill out have a BBQ and a few beers, and enjoy the rest of the weekend, i am sure it will be enlightening. :good:

Mind you we tried earlier this year and none of the Pro shooters turned up :lol: i wonder why ???

As long as finances and health allow it I would be up for it. It should make for an interesting start to the new year! :good: The only thing that you would have to bare in mind is that I do not claim to be able to shoot the hairs of a gnat's back side at 1,000 yards with my .243 :no: - I can't even see that far and my poor little Renault Clio only has small wing mirrors! :lol:

As long as finances and health allow it I would be up for it. It should make for an interesting start to the new year! :good: The only thing that you would have to bare in mind is that I do not claim to be able to shoot the hairs of a gnat's back side at 1,000 yards with my .243 :no: - I can't even see that far and my poor little Renault Clio only has small wing mirrors! :lol:

The first excuse within 10 mins...that's some kind of record..

I really can't for the life of me see why so many are kicking off about Adam being allowed to take this fox out at 300 yards. It was a great shot and that is that!

We get no end of threads talking about taking shots at ranges that far excede the 300 yard range in this thread and loads of videos about shooting rabbits at greater ranges than this fox was shot at. In most of those threads and videos people are saying things like "Great Shot", "Well Done" or "Let's see more of these" yet as soon as a "younger" or "less experienced" shooter takes one (Under supervision) all of you shooting gurus and experts want to tear the OP appart for allowing it!

Some of you guys need to sort yourself out and decide - It's either Ok for everyone to take long range (300 yards) shots at a fox or it's not, you can't keep saying it's OK for some but not OK for others. Another way to look at it is to ask yourselves - When I took my first "long range shot" at a fox or a rabbit was that OK or was I not shooting responsibly" - I'm willing to bet that you thought it was OK to do it so why put another shooter down for doing the same thing.

Let's have less of the double standards guys and accept that Adam pulled of a very fine shot indeed!

Well said! and well done Adam :)

A lot of lady luck Id say.

Who would contemplate allowing someone to shoot at their first fox at 320 metres?

Who would go out with a rifle zeroed at 300m , what if you saw the fox at 100 metres?

And as for hold off for the windage how did he know how far to allow and how can that be accurately guessed at 320 m in the dark :hmm:

There is always one! Just because you cant do it it does not mean others cant, both my 22.250 and 243 are 0'd at 200m and I know exactly where they shoot at 100m, 300m and 400m. I know my land very well and I am a fair judge of distance, after shooting over 1000 foxes in the last 25 years it all comes down to experience.

If you were not there and you don't know, give them a break.

Nice shot Adam, well done!