Curing

Jonty

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Colin. I was going to ask you when I pick it up if you'd be happy for me to give your firm a plug.

the more plugging the better mate thanks,

jonty you say you make bbq ribs with the bones but have you tried curing them i do it at the shop with smoky cure and sell them as bacon ribs they are great and sell very well

colin

for anyone interested , from amazon uk ,

written by **** strawbridge ( big moustauche fame ) and his son james , called curing and smoking

isbn no ; 978-1-84533-657-8 176 pages hard backed £ 12.99

some interesting info on homesmoking and curing meat & game

air dried ham , salami making , pastrami , beef jerky , smoked pigeon

breast ,dry cured duck breast , and fish curing and smoking etc , might interest someone wanting

to start doing a bit of home curing and homesmoking

andy

Good luck mate - pictures please!!

I don't know if you know aready, but after smoking it, if you wrap the whole joint of bacon tightly in clingfilm or vac pak it for 12/24 houurs before slicing it, the smoke flavour will be much better as it really permeates into the meat.

Obviously, easier said than done when you've got a slab of home cured, home smoked bacon staring at you !

Mrs PhilR picked up a nice joint of belly pork weighing 1200gm yesterday from colin lad's butchers shop http://brownsofstagsden.co.uk/ we've bought some very nice meat from him in the past and I'm happy to provide a recommendation. Colin also does a mean molasses cured back bacon himself that is delicious too.

This evening we spread the cure over the joint in a 6% ratio to the weight of the meat using 90% of the cure mixed with 10% caster sugar, a five minute job and going on what we used (65gms) I reckon the bag of Weschenfelder cure will last us a lifetime.

The joint is now in the fridge sitting in a zip sealed bag and will be left to cure for 4 days, Weschenfelder just say on their instructions between 4 to 6 days and as first timers we prefer to err on the side of caution.

Colin cut out the ribs from the joint and gave Mary a little bag of his own cure to do the ribs with and that's now sitting in the fridge too.

Mrs PhilR picked up a nice joint of belly pork weighing 1200gm yesterday from colin lad's butchers shop http://brownsofstagsden.co.uk/ we've bought some very nice meat from him in the past and I'm happy to provide a recommendation. Colin also does a mean molasses cured back bacon himself that is delicious too.

This evening we spread the cure over the joint in a 6% ratio to the weight of the meat using 90% of the cure mixed with 10% caster sugar, a five minute job and going on what we used (65gms) I reckon the bag of Weschenfelder cure will last us a lifetime.

The joint is now in the fridge sitting in a zip sealed bag and will be left to cure for 4 days, Weschenfelder just say on their instructions between 4 to 6 days and as first timers we prefer to err on the side of caution.

Colin cut out the ribs from the joint and gave Mary a little bag of his own cure to do the ribs with and that's now sitting in the fridge too.

Phil with most bacon cures you work on 1/2 thickness of meat per day plus 2 extra days on top so a one inch thick bit of belly will take 4 days,

good luck with your bacon mate and good luck with slicing it,

i did offer to take rind off but Mary said you wanted it left on hope you have a sharp knife lol

colin

ps did you try the chorizo and bresola ??

Edited by colin lad

heads up boys

another book for everyone interested in curing , this one is the dogs do-dahs

on the subject , as frank carson used to say ; its a cracker

manual of a traditional bacon curer by maynard davies

this has got all the

information everyone is looking for in relation to all asspects of curing

contents include ;dry cured and brine cured bacon and hams , sausages

haggis , salamis ,black and white puddings , pates , faggot making , brawn

making , homesmoking etc

i would urge anyone interested in home curing to buy this one , its a fantastic read

but shop around for a copy , RRP is £25.00 i got my copy on amazon for £15.00

andy

Phil with most bacon cures you work on 1/2 thickness of meat per day plus 2 extra days on top so a one inch thick bit of belly will take 4 days,

good luck with your bacon mate and good luck with slicing it,

i did offer to take rind off but Mary said you wanted it left on hope you have a sharp knife lol

colin

ps did you try the chorizo and bresola ??

That's a different story to the one I got, Mary said you recommended leaving the rind on! It's very difficult to get off and we gave it up as a bad job and left it on.

The chorizo and bresaola we've saved for the weekend, will let you know Monday.

That's a different story to the one I got, Mary said you recommended leaving the rind on! It's very difficult to get off and we gave it up as a bad job and left it on.

The chorizo and bresaola we've saved for the weekend, will let you know Monday.

ha ha i said you can leave it on but you will struggle to slice it,

if you trying to take it off lay it rind side down on your work top hold the knife at a 45degree angle take hold of the corner of the rind keeping knife still pull the rind towards you must be a sharp knife though

colin

i did point out that all the bacon i cure at work has rind removed

Edited by colin lad

ha ha i said you can leave it on but you will struggle to slice it,

if you trying to take it off lay it rind side down on your work top hold the knife at a 45degree angle take hold of the corner of the rind keeping knife still pull the rind towards you must be a sharp knife though

colin

i did point out that all the bacon i cure at work has rind removed

Women eh!

Just ordering the weschenfelder bacon cure now and while I'm ati it I think I will be ordering some dried pigs blood to have a crack at my own black pudding. The wife won't be too pleased but I'm very excited. If all goes well, one of the pro q smokers may be winging its way to me as we'll.

D'oh, in a moment of madness, i've just ordered a Pro dodah smoker thingy, wood dust, a vac packer with spare bags, just need to get the cure ordered now and give the garage man fridge a clean!

Spoke to my butcher last night, he's all lined up to get the meat in. I'll do bacon first, then some smoked salmon, then some cheese, then i'll have a heart attack!

AB

PS Colin, Adam Clayton sends his regards!

Edited by blackla

• 2 weeks later...

The streaky bacon was quite passable, my knife skills aren't great so the rashers were a bit thick and not uniform. A bit saltier than we normally have so perhaps need to either reduce the amount of cure used or the time left on it. We've got a loin joint going now with a wet molasses cure to see how that turns out.