Curing

Jonty

Awesome!

I'm new to this so lots of experimenting needed.

I've fired it up, I've got some cheese, sausages and believe it or not bananas chucked on (read about the banana in a book!)

I'll try salmon next I think!

so MF, how did everything turm out? I'm especially looking forward to hearing about the banana!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jonty,

Had some real success thanks, the cheese and sausages came out absolutely great, banana? Hmm, I think it really needs to be eaten with other things rather than just out of it's skin like I did lol!!

We did salmon a few days ago, cured with salt and sugar then oak smoked, incredible!

This is the set up I went for http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00622O8GC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I figured for a few extra quid I'd get some wood and the book which had some good reviews on the site.

And this was breakfast today, delish!!!!!

B0B20BB4-72A2-4154-AF5B-E40298CE25B2-10036-000002F56B0B2194_zpsec9a2865.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A mate of mine asked me if I could make him some pastrami. It'll take 3 or so days to cure and then I'll slowly hot smoke it. I got a nice bit of brisket from my butcher, if you tell them what you're doing, I've found that they tend to be pleased that you're interested in meat so to speak and will go out of their way to help you. This is a piece of brisket that hasn't been rolled, it's the point end with some of the flat attached - about 5lb

null_zps757a632f.jpg

It's getting a wet brine which is a mix of salt, sugar, garlic powder, cure#1 and water. Here's the dry ingredients

null_zps7224b377.jpg

The meat has been injected with some of the brine - about 15% of the weight of the meat. You don't have to do this but you would have to leave the meat in the brine for longer, probably 10 days as opposed to 3 with injection

null_zps77b0daf7.jpg

After injecting it, bagged up with the rest of the brine and into the man fridge for a few days to cure

null_zpse90d8fa6.jpg

Top Marks on your post Jonty now can some one shed a bit light on some thing I read in one of my books in my antiquarian book collection , its either in Rural Sports by W.B. Daniel 1807 or its in Rural Life by J.Sherer 1860 .

NOW DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME in your own curing mix ! there is a reference in one of these fascinating old books to the finest hams produced in Co Limerick where they use a touch of sulfuric acid in the cure !!! :w00t: ,

It will take me a some time reading to find it but will see what else I can find , has any one else heard of such a thing in the cure ???.

Have you tried hot smoked eggs ? hard boiled of coarse :lol: try them they have a nice flavor but best left in the fridge for a couple of days before use Ross EM on PW tried them when he was up here shooting with me & he was amazed . ps & don't forget to take the shells off before they go in the smoker ! :whistling:

Edited by Pole Star

Pole star - I love smoked eggs, have you tried one in a scotch egg yet ?? I think I'll skip on the acid based cure though :)

camokid, here's a cure mix I use on beef and venison that'll do see you right on some of that venison you're always bagging!!

I prefer to use Cure#2 in my curing, it's a mix of salt, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. There's a lot of fuss abous using 'additives' but it's no more an additive or chemical than salt is. Obviously it;s up to people if they use it or not, but salt on it's own may retard botulism, Cure#2 kills it. In it's raw formm it can be dangerous but used at the appropriate rate it is harmless in the finished product. I think it's especially prudent to use it in venison as although it is the ultimate free range meat, it is a wild animal and we 100% on whether it's been washing it's hooves after going to the toilet etc. Anyway, I prefer to be cautious and have no qualms feeding it to my kids, in fact I wouldn't give them stuff that had just been cured with salt only.

Anyway, safety rant over, cure mix:

150g Salt (fine sea is better than table salt)

25g coarse ground black pepper

10g dry rosemary or thyme

25g crushed juniper

12.5g cure#2

Mix everything together, there is enough cure mix to do 5kg of meat. It is really important that you use it at the correct ratio of 4.5% cure to the weight of the meat i.e. if the meat weighs 1.5kg use 67.5g of cure mix. That will ensure 2 things, the salt ratio is about 3% which makes for a pleasant, not too salty end product and the cure#2 is used at 2.5g per kg of meat which is the reccomended safe usage.

Take your piece of meat (usually best to start with a smallish bit to start with) Weigh it and work out how much cure to use at 4.5%

Rub it with the cure, put it in a ziplock bag (clingfilm isn't great as liquid will leach out) and put in the fridge fo 7-10 days (I'd say 7 for 1kg 10 for 2kg)

Turn the bag every couple of days - but don't drain any liquid out as it comntains the salts that are curing the meat

After curing for the 7-10 days rinse the meat under cold running water (no need to soak it) for 20 seconds, then pat dry

Tie the meat with string to hold it together and so you can hang it, then weigh it and write the weight down

Hang the meat until it has lost 25%-30% of its weight then it's done 0 with a small piece this may only be 2 weeks or so

Ideally you want to be able to hang it somewhere where it's about 15-18 degrees C and humidity if 60%-70% but it's not worth getting too hung up on that, invariably a cool garage or shed will be fine

Well dam it jonty I never thought of a smoked egg in a scotch egg ! I will try one next time I get around to it ! :good: .

ps any tips on what can be done with goose hearts ? or even the livers ? well I do get a lot of them although I never waste them .

Edited by Pole Star

Got my pork belly sorted and now sat in the fridge curing into hopefully some great bacon.

I made some pork scratching a with the skin, very easy looked it up online. I am sure there are hundreds of ways but here is the way I done it and it has come out well.

Pour boiling water over the skin side, this apparently opens the pores, rub with sea salt, pat dry and allow at least half an hour in the fridge to really dry out. Cut into finger size pieces and make sure they are very dry by using more kitchen roll again. Roast in a very hot oven about 15 mins until brown and bubbly. Be carefull with the timing the burn very easy.

Have you tried hot smoked eggs ? hard boiled of coarse :lol: try them they have a nice flavor but best left in the fridge for a couple of days before use Ross EM on PW tried them when he was up here shooting with me & he was amazed . ps & don't forget to take the shells off before they go in the smoker ! :whistling:

I did some smoked eggs the other day (along with some chilies, mild cheddar and sausages) but I cold smoked them after boiling and peeling. Do you hot smoke them after you boil them? I wasn't that impressed with them on their own but thought they may go well with bacon - although I probably did something wrong.

The cheese was very good though and the sausages were passable, but I only used shop bought chipolatas so didn't expect much.

I did some smoked eggs the other day (along with some chilies, mild cheddar and sausages) but I cold smoked them after boiling and peeling. Do you hot smoke them after you boil them? I wasn't that impressed with them on their own but thought they may go well with bacon - although I probably did something wrong.

The cheese was very good though and the sausages were passable, but I only used shop bought chipolatas so didn't expect much.

Well hope you got it right mate 1 boil em 2 shell em & then put in the HOT smoker for about 30 mins & put them in fridge for 2 days before use , is that how you done it ???.

Edited by Pole Star

My bacon was finished yesterday. Left it in the fridge overnight and sharpen my good knife. Sliced some for breakfast.

My god it was the best bacon ever.

Have you got a recipe for it.

Good man!! Satisfying isn't it? Must be even better with your own pigs mate :good:

My bacon was finished yesterday. Left it in the fridge overnight and sharpen my good knife. Sliced some for breakfast.

My god it was the best bacon ever.

Have you got a recipe for it.

yeah in my recipe book at work will have a look and post it up tom when i get home,

off the top of my head i think it is very similar to SA biltong

cut into 6" long strips 1/2" thick cover in rock salt for 1 hour scrape it off brush with vinegar coat in crack black pepper and coriander

hang to dry

think thats it will check

colin