Spent shot

Paul223

whichever way it doesn't hurt when it lands on your head :good:

I'm not a gambling man because the odds are you will lose, a skydiver landing on your head at 150mph will hurt! :lol: :lol:

One day the lead shot will hurt, especially if you happen to be looking up when it lands! :good:

the relevance of whether it hurts or not is somewhat small,it is the fact that it is wrong to drop shot on folk/their property which is the issue.If you know a neighbour is against shooting why on earth would you continue to shoot where this is a possibility?You are frankly asking for trouble whether that be civil/criminal/confrontational..........well do it and I guess you'll find out!

• 8 years later...

I came across this thread when searching for the legal implications of shot falling on my roof, rattling on my windows, landing on my solar panels, etc. Because this happens regularly when my neighbour shoots around our house (we live in rural Devon and are surrounded by farmland).

I'm not anti-shooting: I have shot in the past although I don't now, I still use my air rifle against vermin; I also know that "overs" landing on you tend to be harmless.   However I can tell you that when you are outside having shot landing on you from random directions is not pleasant, and on one occasion when I was up in a tree building a treehouse for the kids while shooting was going on I was scared enough to stop - you feel a lot more exposed up off the ground.

In other words I can see both sides of the argument but my overall feeling is that there is more than a touch of arrogance in the shooter feeling that he somehow has some traditional right to rain his shot on others in general and their homes in particular.  I also think a lot of shooters are unaware of just how far their shot can carry, 300 yards sounds about right from my experience.   

In the same way that you are not allowed to shoot within some distance of a highway my view is that you also shouldn't be allowed to shoot within ditto of a house.  This is motivated by safety as much as anything else - people *can* mistakes, and anyone who has done much shooting or beating will know that mistakes do happen.  I'd like my house and garden to be outside the lethal range of such a mistake.

45 minutes ago, cbell said:

I came across this thread when searching for the legal implications of shot falling on my roof, rattling on my windows, landing on my solar panels, etc. Because this happens regularly when my neighbour shoots around our house (we live in rural Devon and are surrounded by farmland).

I'm not anti-shooting: I have shot in the past although I don't now, I still use my air rifle against vermin; I also know that "overs" landing on you tend to be harmless.   However I can tell you that when you are outside having shot landing on you from random directions is not pleasant, and on one occasion when I was up in a tree building a treehouse for the kids while shooting was going on I was scared enough to stop - you feel a lot more exposed up off the ground.

In other words I can see both sides of the argument but my overall feeling is that there is more than a touch of arrogance in the shooter feeling that he somehow has some traditional right to rain his shot on others in general and their homes in particular.  I also think a lot of shooters are unaware of just how far their shot can carry, 300 yards sounds about right from my experience.   

In the same way that you are not allowed to shoot within some distance of a highway my view is that you also shouldn't be allowed to shoot within ditto of a house.  This is motivated by safety as much as anything else - people *can* mistakes, and anyone who has done much shooting or beating will know that mistakes do happen.  I'd like my house and garden to be outside the lethal range of such a mistake.

Have you informed the shoot that you’re not happy about it? I’d make this my first port of call, and ask them not to let it happen again. 

On one of my shoots we had an ex syndicate member who lived right next to one of the drives. He had falling out with somebody on the shoot and became very difficult over shot falling into his garden. Mind you it was mainly huffing and puffing and threats to call the police. We just moved some of the pegs to avoid it. Inconvenient but better than stirring something up 

6 hours ago, cbell said:

I think you've every right to be seriously annoyed. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms they need to sort it out and if they don't, just inform the police. 

7 hours ago, cbell said:

And you joined Pigeon Watch?

20 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think you've every right to be seriously annoyed. I'd tell them in no uncertain terms they need to sort it out and if they don't, just inform the police. 

This. Obviously I'm pro shooting, but with having a license comes with having a lot of responsibility, legally and just common sense.

Nobody wants shot falling on their property, it's just bad manners and gives shooters a bad name. As far as I understand it though, it can also be a license losing offence if the police find out.

I'd have a quick chat with them, they may be completely unaware and letting them know should do the trick. If it doesn't, then the police is the next option, it's their license, you gave them a chance.