CROWN SHOOT 12-13

Paul223

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well photobucket won't work so I'll have to do the pics at a later date

Great day which could have been so different and difficult if the rain had not broken, very wet under foot as it had tipped down all night which in turn made the beating difficult from time to time. Very rewarding day though, some well presented birds fast and high enough to test the bests shots .... and they did .... in some cases running a gauntlet of guns from one end of the line to the other with out a feather put out of place!

Ducks were a let down but we'll sort them with some flags, the rest of the drives worked well thanks to so good leadership in the beating line, your a star Rob ;)

As always it's good to meet greet and treat a few fellow Pigeon Watch members :yes: , hope they had as much enjoyment out of the day as I did.

Had one of the duck for tea tonight yum yum yum yum !!!!!

Edited by Paul223

What a fantastic day yesterday on the Crown Shoot. I was one of the lucky winners of what surely was the star prize at the PW charity shoot from way back in June, one of two days on this super shoot donated by Paul223 and Magman. I'll give a brief rundown of the day but my inadequate words won't do the shoot justice that's for sure.

Got to the meeting point a couple of minutes after 9 having followed Magman & son of (Jay) through the McDonald's drive thu for a bacon and egg mcmuffin and within a few minutes the car park was full to bursting with shoot members. There were 16 guns, two teams of 8 (stand one walk one) a lot of the half guns had come to beat and/or pickup and besides wives & girlfriends what really struck me was the number of youngsters, boys & girls the youngest looked about 7 and the eldest maybe 12, there must have been 7 or 8 of them. In total there must have been aroundabout 30 people in the car park all looking forward to the day. There must have been 9 or 10 Pigeon Watch members in attendance, the two hosts, Magman & Paul223, three guests, myself, Tam & Hopper (Mrs. Tam) there was Philmypower & Brian28 and a couple of others whose names have deserted me (for which I apologize)

Anyway into the 4x4s and off to the first drive, ducks. The other groups turn to shoot and a few ducks went into the bag. Short trip by road and our first drive, I'd drawn peg 5 and that was the hot seat, I had really good birds over me primarily high left to right driven crossers for the first half of the drive and then right to left towards the end of the drive. All good high fast pheasants + a couple of woodcock. I had some really good birds down on that drive (modesty forbids me saying how many). Now this drive was down at the bottom of a steep valley and climbing back out yet again reminded me just how un-fit I am, thank God I gave up smoking some 5 years ago but dragging at least 5 or 6 stone of excess weight up that incline was hard, hard going. Hadn't got my composure back and couldn't manage the beating line for the next drive so stood with one of the guns and "spotted" for him through the branches of a heavily wooded area. Lunch from the back of the truck and onto the 4th (our 2nd) drive.

I was out of the shooting at number 7 on this one, an early covey of low wickedly fast partridge which took my me and the guns either side by surprise resulted in only one shot being fired at them and a single pheasant which I took feathers out of but it flew on strongly. Further down the line though they were getting plenty of good proper driven shooting and there were quite a few more birds added to the bag. A short walk to the 5th drive where the gun I had been standing with previously had 3 good pheasants for three shots including a left & right, well shot Steve.

Onto the last drive where I was peg 1 with my back to a small river/stream . Finished with a cock and a hen (not a left and right unfortunately) both of which landed in the water but were quickly and enthusiastically picked by Magman's springer.

The bag was counted and paired up, photo taken and then back to the pub. Hot food and a pint, handshakes, thanks and farewells and a fantastic day was done.

My sincere thanks to everyone on the shoot, I know it was Paul & Rob who donated their gun for the day but everyone was so welcoming & friendly it felt like we'd (the guests) been taken into the heart of a very big family. The weather was kind, stopped raining before we started shooting but was no wind to speak of.

This shoot perfectly demonstrated all that is best about game shooting, no one was bothered about the bag, it wouldn't have mattered if it was double or half, it was all about good people being out in beautiful countryside and having the craic (usually at a mates expense) .

So, at the risk of repeating myself Thanks again Paul & Rob. Hope you put that up in the raffle next year cos I'll buy even more tickets to try and get it again.

Mr Potter

PS Respect to Tam & Lynelle who made a round trip of 520 miles (setting off at 4:45) in the day to enjoy this fantastic days sport.

PPS Ironically no pigeon featured in the day's bag!

indeed, well put Mr Potter, glad yourself, Tam and Hopper enjoyed the day!

Thanks to some generous donations the ladies day pot now stands at over 120 quid!

Forgot to mention number of shots for the day were 303

Edited by Paul223

Well photobucket won't work so I'll have to do the pics at a later date

Great day which could have been so different and difficult if the rain had not broken, very wet under foot as it had tipped down all night which in turn made the beating difficult from time to time. Very rewarding day though, some well presented birds fast and high enough to test the bests shots .... and they did .... in some cases running a gauntlet of guns from one end of the line to the other with out a feather put out of place!

Ducks were a let down but we'll sort them with some flags, the rest of the drives worked well thanks to so good leadership in the beating line, your a star Rob ;)

As always it's good to meet greet and treat a few fellow Pigeon Watch members :yes: , hope they had as much enjoyment out of the day as I did.

Had one of the duck for tea tonight yum yum yum yum !!!!!

I had some nice screaming birds that had ran the gauntlet :D (at the Nant I think - peg 3) & landed them all close together (nearly on top of the poor guy that went to pick the first one :cry1::innocent:

thats one handsome mo :innocent:

whose derek?

Paul Derek was the guy that choose my day but could not make it due to health issues , so gave the day to Tam :good:

First shoot day i haven't shot and guess what , i loved it. keeping the beating line in check has left me with a saw throat though :angry:

Great day and one enjoyed by everyone i spoke to , so well done captain :good:

• 2 weeks later...