110 play in steering column

ack-ack

Cheers for the tips guys, there was a nut loose behind the steering wheel. Ge-dunk Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!!!!

UJ's seem okay

Haven't had a good scan round her box yet (I was going to go steady, as I've only had her a week). Was hoping to find adjustment when I finally go down there.

If its the same kind of box then you'll have a lock nut with a smaller bolt going into it, you need to undo and hold the locking one think its a 24 and turn the other which I think is a 13

If not same idea on the new boxes just a slightly different set up, if its working though don't bother messing with it

Cheers for the tips guys, there was a nut loose behind the steering wheel. Ge-dunk Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish!!!!

UJ's seem okay

Haven't had a good scan round her box yet (I was going to go steady, as I've only had her a week). Was hoping to find adjustment when I finally go down there.

Its a her!

And you haven't looked round her box yet!! You Kent lads are slow...... :innocent:

TEH

Au contraire mon ami, I've had my tool around her manifold most of the afternoon

A mate always quotes this one “ you don’t need many spanners to fix a land rover, but you need use them many times”

And my favourite quote from my SA friends is “The one good thing about a Land Rover! Is there is always a Toyota Land cruiser around the corner to pull it out”

Is 110 the amount of days it was broken down :innocent:

TEH

A mate always quotes this one “ you don’t need many spanners to fix a land rover, but you need use them many times”

And my favourite quote from my SA friends is “The one good thing about a Land Rover! Is there is always a Toyota Land cruiser around the corner to pull it out”

Is 110 the amount of days it was broken down :innocent:

TEH

Thats as maybe mush but I can't drive around the district looking like i'm off to run the jooks, hence the 110!!

I think he fixed it a couple of posts back, loose nut by all accounts

Sadly not, the nut loose behind the steering wheel was me!

I'm going to have a go tomoz. Looks like theres an alan key adjuster on the top of the four stud plate with a lock nut. I'll mess about with it. Cant make it anyworse, its like being at the helm of a supertanker at the moment.

if you are adjusting the top of the steering box, the alan grubscrew controls the mesh gap between the pinion and the crown , simalar to a diff....do not over tighten ! best way to do it is to get someone (easy job for girl friend or wife)to sit in the landy and get her to wiggle the steering wheel left and right ,..just the slack whilst you screw out (i think) the grub screw, keep on adjusting until you have 1/2" free play.

after this is done you may need to centralise the steering wheel which can either be done by taking it off and re-positioning it, or slackening off the clamps on the track rod ? and shortening or lengthening it............

sorry not the track rod the steering rod....

the thingy that is attatched to the drop arm....

Edited by ditchman

if you are adjusting the top of the steering box, the alan grubscrew controls the mesh gap between the pinion and the crown , simalar to a diff....do not over tighten ! best way to do it is to get someone (easy job for girl friend or wife)to sit in the landy and get her to wiggle the steering wheel left and right ,..just the slack whilst you screw out (i think) the grub screw, keep on adjusting until you have 1/2" free play.

after this is done you may need to centralise the steering wheel which can either be done by taking it off and re-positioning it, or slackening off the clamps on the track rod ? and shortening or lengthening it............

sorry not the track rod the steering rod....

the thingy that is attatched to the drop arm....

Cheers fella, I'll have a go at that once I've sorted out the epic cooling problem. Keeps throwing its water. Have tested head gasket twice and its good. Changed the water pump, thermo, expansion cap lid. Chuffing rad and bottom hose are stone cold.