I love Mondays

neil

The day didnt start to well,i woke up a bit late but once i rushed around a bit it got a bit better :D .I,ve been working on farm all day about 10 miles away from home,at about 10 o clock the farmer brought me out a cup of tea and we got chatting,as we talked a flock of about 100 rooks landed in a field of maize that had just been cut one thing lead to another and the bottom line is i've got another farmer to add to the list,his words were "come up whenever you like,dont worry about phoning just carry on" :D B) .He farms veg basically, cauliflower, lettuce broccoli,potatoes etc etc.Apparently his big problems are pigeons and rabbits :P (has anyone decoyed over lettuce??)

Neil

We have several farms that have alot of Brocolli and Cauliflower. They can provide some steady shooting during the slow months of May and June. The birds tend to hit the plants when they are 6" high and the new shoots are coming up. They will go back to the same plants each day and eat the shoots till you are left with a patch of stumpy plants while the rest are fully grown, if left unchecked they can cause alot of damage. A magnet and a couple of flappers are all you need on the large plants.

rgds

Mark.

Sorry Neil none of the farms we shoot grow lettuce. The farms in our area that do tend to grow it under polythene until it gets to a good size then uncover it. There are always balloons to scare the birds off after that so I've never actually seen many birds on lettuce fields. I dare say they would eat it given half a chance, although you may find your farmer friend is being a bit over protective of his high cash crop and the "problems" may only be a handful of birds.

rgds

Mark.

Thanks for the advice Mark,Have you ever shot over lettuce?apparently they have had problems in the past so i will watch and see what happens (i'm not sure if they go for the young plants or the mature ones)

Hi neil, lettuce has virtually no nutritional value, so from a pigeons point of view it would make sense them eating something higher in energy (proteins carbohydrates even fats like the oil in oilseed rape which is some of the best food for energy) Following this principle I would highly doubt seeing pigeons eating lettuce, it'd be like them eating grass, they could but it would be pretty pointless. For grass I think the problem is there stomach doesn't has the capability to digest it, even rabbits and horses - which always eat grass -don't digest grass properly and so don't get the full energy from it, cows are the only true masters of it of course :lol:

If this guy says he's had problems it may be that the pigeons are eating 'weeds' using a broad term for any other plants which are growing amongst the main lettuce crop. He's probably more worried about them sh*tting on it. They always say rabbits like lettuce, but I've never had any lettuce fields to know if this is true. Its probably a beatrice potter myth :lol:

William - Rabbits do get the full nutritional value from grass. They are **** eaters!!!!

They eat their own ***** to get the benefit of digested food. Their gut produces two types of ****, the hard droppings we see scattered around, and also the soft pellets eaten directly from the anus. This is known as "coprophagy".

William - Rabbits do get the full nutritional value from grass.  They are **** eaters!!!!

They eat their own ***** to get the benefit of digested food.  Their gut produces two types of ****, the hard droppings we see scattered around, and also the soft pellets eaten directly from the anus.  This is known as "coprophagy".

Cool thanks for telling me that!! Gross, but cool :lol:

Mine too, as I understand it there is still a lot of nutrition left in horse **** and my dogs love it, it can be a sign of nutritional deficiency if they have just started doing it, otherwise just don't let them lick you face :lol:;):D:D;)

Must be different grass HG :lol::lol::lol: but I must say when I said white, it was for descriptive purposes only they wouldn't be Dulux white or anything like that. Can't remember the last time I saw a rabbit in my local or curry house tho'......................... seen plenty of FOXY chicks tho' that I would like to donate some of my off white tincture to :lol::lol: ............................. alas the boy is just dreamin again!!! :lol::lol: