Which Cartridge for Pheasant

Jellyben

How high? up to 40 yds 30/32gm 6`s after that 36gm 5`s (50yd max.)

More like 50yd than 40 I think. On one drive the valley is about 50 meters from top to bottom and the beaters push the birds off the ridge and the guns stand on the valley floor so unless the birds climb up as they fly then anything up to 50yds.

Hi,

I'd suggest you have a word with the other guns on the shoot or the keeper and see what they recommend.

It's impossible to advise properly without knowning the quality of the birds.

If you can't then I'd try and take a bit of a selection.

If they are fairly high the something like an RC SIPE in No. 5 or 6 should be adequate.

I've shot everything from 28g 6.5's locally up to 36g 4's and 3's with Full Choke when I go to Devon.

Oh and Kirky if you think Pheasants are always easy you go to the wrong shoots.!!! :blink:

I used to start the season with Hull 3 Crowns fibre wad 30g in 6's for pheasant and partridge when I shot a lot. Then moved on to Hull Sterling Game PDP/Fibre 32g in 5's for back end Pheasants. If I had to choose one load it would be the 32g x 5's. Am invited to a shoot in the cotswolds where they suggest (and provide for you to buy) that you use 34g 4's on their high pheasants. You can of course use lighter loads but I hate to see birds pricked and like to give myself the best chance of a clean kill.

Ft