Cold Game Retrieves.

ETO

you wouldn't be putting one out of its misery though on a sensible sized shoot you could be doing a couple every drive and being in the action watching everything being killed, and if you get an iffy team of guns its your responsibility to sort out the problems.

To quote myself:

"I couldn't bring myself to shoot an animal."

Does not mean I wouldn't be able to watch an animal being shot or indeed killed. Death is a fact of life. Now if you will excuse me, I have better things to do than argue with a bloke stuck in the dark ages.

Thank you, everyone else for your kind words :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote myself:

Does not mean I wouldn't be able to watch an animal being shot or indeed killed. Death is a fact of life. Now if you will excuse me, I have better things to do than argue with a bloke stuck in the dark ages.

believe it or not but it has nothing to do with you being female, as I mentioned I beat with a fair few and we have female picker uppers and there is no issue, Its purely your view on dead animals and I would be the same with a bloke who said the same and just ask the question whether they thought picking up was for them. Generally people who do it have an interest in shooting if you're convinced though get hold of a local keeper and try beating first then move on and up the chain once you and the dogs like it. Personally I enjoy beating as much as shooting makes for a good day out and you learn a lot about driven shooting.

ETO, don't let too much of this bother you. At the end of the day you're out there training your dogs on cold game so I dont think the transition to the real 'warm' thing will be too much of an issue for you, in fact any human with an ounce of compassion should put a wounded bird out of it's misery, it will probably come very naturally. My girlfriend had never been on a shoot two years ago, and didn't really enjoy her first one, seeing shot birds etc, but now she's got the bug and comes out beating all the time, throwing dummies etc during dog training etc.

Everyone has to start somewhere and it looks like you're making good progress with it. Don't let the knockers put you off, the more people who take up our sport the better

I know of a very successful gundog trainer who doesn't shoot and had to get over handling meat and dispatching game. He and his wife regularly win novice (FTW) stakes and have won a quite a few open (FTCH) stakes and trained dogs for clients that have gone on to win. So you don't need to be a shooter or country bred. I think that if I for any reason couldn't shoot anymore I would definately keep and train my dogs to work in the field.

ATB,

Lee

How bloody dare you suggest that agility might be something more my speed! I may be a woman but what does that mean, oh I don't have a penis, thats all it means. I was practically raised in a country park, my Dad only took me home during the week so I could get an education. Just because I find birds creepy does not mean that if one needed dispatching humanely that I wouldn't be up to the task. I would rather bring myself to put one out of it's pain than let it suffer. I know what gundogs are used for. Don't treat me like a half wit. And you didn't offend me. Your dinosaur way of thinking angered me. As for the dead ones - I'm overcoming that, I mean, someone had to take the bird out of the game bag and place it in strategic places to work the dog didn't they? Oh yeah, that would be me.

If I didn't enjoy training my dogs to do what they were bred for. I would've gotten a toy breed. And as it is, Labs are not really made for the agility scene.. they haven't got the matched speed of a collie, nor the grace to stay on the dog walk.

Think before you speak next time. I am fed up of people judging me because I don't shoot and I'm a woman! You may think that it's now an "in" thing but I have been training Louie for 2 years now. Therefore I surpass your "trend" theory.

Quote "I am fed up of people judging me because I don't shoot"

However this is a shooting website is it not. If you cant take a little feedback dont post.

Really cant see why you got offened over what al4x said to be fair to him.

Edited by Actionpigeons

To quote myself:

Quote "I am fed up of people judging me because I don't shoot"

However this is a shooting website is it not. If you cant take a little feedback dont post.

Really cant see why you got offened over what al4x said to be fair to him.

Thank you for your input, however Pigeon Watch's user inface says:

"Pigeon Watch was started in 2001, to provide a forum for pigeon shooters to discuss all aspects of the pursuit of the woodpigeon.

Over the years the site has grown and evolved, covering other aspects of Country Sports, including ferreting, dog work, airgunning, angling, rifle shooting, clay pigeon shooting and gamekeeping. "

Therefore your argument RE: "this is a shooting website", is rendered invalid.

And as I replied before I was not offended by what was said. Angered is more of an appropriate word, or perhaps annoyed. This thread was not about me. I merely mentioned that I was proud of myself for doing something that I would've not done previous to owning gun dogs. This thread was to show how much effort I had put in to training my dogs and how well they were doing.

Edited by ETO

ETO, don't let too much of this bother you. At the end of the day you're out there training your dogs on cold game so I dont think the transition to the real 'warm' thing will be too much of an issue for you, in fact any human with an ounce of compassion should put a wounded bird out of it's misery, it will probably come very naturally. My girlfriend had never been on a shoot two years ago, and didn't really enjoy her first one, seeing shot birds etc, but now she's got the bug and comes out beating all the time, throwing dummies etc during dog training etc.

Everyone has to start somewhere and it looks like you're making good progress with it. Don't let the knockers put you off, the more people who take up our sport the better

Thank you. It doesn't bother me, I know I'm good at training dogs, my dogs are good at what they have been taught. And even if I don't manage to get them on shoots - training them up for one is better than them sat in their basket all day doing nothing. Or running amok because they haven't been trained. I've actually been invited on shoots up in North Yorkshire and rough shooting in Scotland. It's just planning time off and work that's getting to be an issue. :)

Thank you for your input, however Pigeon Watch's user inface says:

"Pigeon Watch was started in 2001, to provide a forum for pigeon shooters to discuss all aspects of the pursuit of the woodpigeon.

Over the years the site has grown and evolved, covering other aspects of Country Sports, including ferreting, dog work, airgunning, angling, rifle shooting, clay pigeon shooting and gamekeeping. "

Therefore your argument RE: "this is a shooting website", is rendered invalid.

And as I replied before I was not offended by what was said. Angered is more of an appropriate word, or perhaps annoyed. This thread was not about me. I merely mentioned that I was proud of myself for doing something that I would've not done previous to owning gun dogs. This thread was to show how much effort I had put in to training my dogs and how well they were doing.

"Therefore your argument RE: "this is a shooting website", is rendered invalid"

Pigeon Shooting and country Sports website is the heading I think you will find

or bloody hell I must of joined the wrong site...lol.

Edited by Actionpigeons

nice pics of your dogs working

bringing back to topic.

you have done better than me, i couldnt handle a camera, dummies, bag, starting pistol etc all together.

cracking looking dogs, i have only seen one springer cross lab in last couple of years.

have fun with your training. i know i only took shooting up after I got my dog, and been training her for 8 months now (she was 18 month when we started). i know i have as much fun watching my dog work as shooting.

I don't know when i last shot a woodie, they aint that common up on this ground. ETO has my vote for star of the month though just for "shooting" down Al4x though. Appears the girl does do a bit of shooting after all :good:

Even you being more of a **** than usual have to question whether picking up is ever going to be an activity that suits.

Christ that escalated quickly, i dont really find what he said as offensive. The way i read it he was just giving advice, on things you might have possibly not considered, although i do see how it can be annoying when someone suggests you go down a route that youve already researched and decieded it wasnt for you, however he didnt know that.

That being said they look like grand dogs, and they look like they are having a great time, looking to get my own sometime in the future.

Perhaps you could find a ralitively small sydicate shoot locally that would accomodate you for a few days when you want to start taking them our for days, that way you and them can get used to the atmosphere, sights and smells of a shoot day, but perhaps at a slower pace, and less full on than a bigger shoot, just a suggestion!

Christ that escalated quickly, i dont really find what he said as offensive. The way i read it he was just giving advice, on things you might have possibly not considered, although i do see how it can be annoying when someone suggests you go down a route that youve already researched and decieded it wasnt for you, however he didnt know that.

That being said they look like grand dogs, and they look like they are having a great time, looking to get my own sometime in the future.

Perhaps you could find a ralitively small sydicate shoot locally that would accomodate you for a few days when you want to start taking them our for days, that way you and them can get used to the atmosphere, sights and smells of a shoot day, but perhaps at a slower pace, and less full on than a bigger shoot, just a suggestion!

Thank you for the suggestion. He has been given the chance to go on a few shoots as mentioned before but due to issues like money and time it's proving difficult, but I'm only really looking for rough shooting, he's not as steady as he should be, nor does he hunt as close as he should.

Crikey, fiery with good looking dogs that like picking up dead things and not not bad with the camera too. I like you ETO welcome to pw. What area are you in? I'm sure someone can help out close by if money and time is an issue travelling to a shoot or a day's rough shooting to test them a bit more when the time is right.

ETO if your anywhere near me and need dead game for training purposes your welcome to a few frozen birds etc.

keep up the good work

I just want to say what lovely dogs you have and the great work you have done with them , i know what time and effort you have to put into dogs to get them up to that level so well done, so what if you dont like birds just enjoy what you are doing.

Thank you. :)

Its a wonder we have long term members on with all the **** they get if they post some thing on here some 1 don't like or agree with

well done E T O cracking looking dog

SWISS

Thank you. It's the same on most forums though, I'm not that easy to get rid of unfortunately. :D