real red letter day

Fisherman Mike

I had a real red letter day to day. shooting late wheat stubble not 3 miles from my house I took 104 birds between 8 and 11 am. The only reason I stopped was because I only had the morning and only took 5 cases of shells.

This wheat field was sprouting on the ear and badly lain earlier in the month so there was a great deal of grain amongst the chaff.

I knew it was going to be a good day when I saw at least 1000 birds earlier in the week setting down to roost in the nearby woods. The birds pitched into the decoys even before I had taken the gun from its slip and came constantly in 3's & 4's.

Even after the dogs and I had picked up and driven up the track the birds were still piling in and some 300 plus were feeding just 50 yards from my truck.

I popped down later today at 5 and still they were hitting the field, which was covered in them.

I reckon I could have smashed old Archies record easy if Id stayed all day. :good:

Cheers.

FM.

I reckon I could have smashed old Archies record easy if Id stayed all day. :good:

Cheers.

FM.

Aw come on FM lets not get to dreamin' or is that just another fishermans tale about the one that got away :oops:

Actually it's not 'Major Disasters' record you need to break as that's been done a number of times since. I think currently it's Digweed who holds the record :oops: