Any bikers about, advice needed

Hi all, I'm after abit of advise. Im in need of a cheap mode of transport and decided on a scooter as they seem to be super cheap to run, but being a chap of large build I would need a 125cc really. Then a mate suggested a 125 motorbike as it's still on a provisional but would be much better for me.

I've always wanted a bike and now it seems the perfect time to get one and get some experience then do my direct access. I can't afford to do the DAS at the minute. So my question is what do you bikers recommend for my first bike. I've looked about the main ones that keep popping up are the Aprillia rs125, Honda cbr125 and the yamaha yzf125 (I think).

I will be using as a daily commute but only doing a round trip of about 5 miles a day. I've checked prices and insurance and I've got about £1500 to spend on the bike. I really like the Aprillia but have read that as it's a 2 stroke it requires alot more work and maintenance on it than the other two. As an ex car mechanic I don't mind getting my hands dirty but have never worked on bikes before.

So there we are chaps, any advise/experience on any of these is appreciated. Thanks for reading

ATB 425

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on style but I would look at a 4 stroke single like the Honda xr125 as they are cheep enough reliable and cheep to insure.also as you say a larg built chap the cbr and rs would be like a kids toy. I'm 6 feet 3" and 14 stone and I tried them and felt that way. I took my full test 3 years ago and its the best thing you can do.

My lad has got a Yamaha YBR125. It's a 4 stroke so it's not messy like some of the other 125's. He has put 12,000 miles on it in just over a year and it has never missed a beat. He just checks the oil once a week and changes it every 2500 miles which takes about 10 minutes.

Don't get a two-stroke if you want economy or reliability... and remember these are machines owned by 17 year olds who don't bother with maintenance.

A CBR 125 is reliable and economical - you'll see 90 mpg or better. There's the CG 125 if you're not too fashion conscious - that'll do 120 mpg!

Don't get a scooter - they're for birds and 16 year olds! :innocent:

Look at enduro types and if you want some fun on it, get a two stroke. Don't listen to all the **** about two strokes being unreliable. Modern two stroke oil keeps things working. Old two strokes suffered because owners let the timing slip and thrashed them relentlessly, melting pistons, seizing cylinders and cranks. The newer stuff with modern synthetic two stroke oil are good and they run for ages. I've done tens of thousands of miles on two strokes and they've got a directness that a four stroke can't match. I've had plenty of bigger four strokes but a four stroke 125 is as dull as ditch water, believe me, you'll have to thash it and they do break. Have a look at the KTM EXC.two stroke powerbanding, the best feeling there is (nearly). Get that front wheel back on the ground.

The 2 strokes your allowed are rather reliable, as you won't be allowed a full power 125, I had the mx125 aprilia in sm for, great bike, did 20 odd thousand with me and my bro. All it ever needed was a spark plug every now and again. Also had a cg125, which is slow as a sloth but fuel is awesome. Used to fill up every other day on the aprilia, on the cg I could go nearly 3 weeks. I also had an rs125 full power(wasn't actually allowed it) but that was a weekend hobby rebuilding it, I got 280 miles to a rebuild, but it was fun thrashing the tits off it at about 115. But Don't get a sports 125 they just look daft an I know realise that, a 125 is like weeing in the wind, dam useless and a waste of time and money. If you can afford a restricted test do that and buy a 400 get it reduced and bang on, wait for 2 years and ride what you like, no l plates and cheaper insurance. I also did das course best thing I did, have a trx850 now and can do track days too. Awesome fun. Work the extra few hours and you will reap the rewards.

Hi all, I'm after abit of advise. Im in need of a cheap mode of transport and decided on a scooter as they seem to be super cheap to run, but being a chap of large build I would need a 125cc really. Then a mate suggested a 125 motorbike as it's still on a provisional but would be much better for me.

So there we are chaps, any advise/experience on any of these is appreciated. Thanks for reading

ATB 425

If you have a car licence older than 2001 you can ride a moped on it. If not you'll have to do CBT every two years or pass the test.

Riding on CBT's is expensive and heavy on insurance.

Not all car licences offer provisional privileges for motorcycles. On provisional, like mopeds, it's CBT every two years or pass the test.

Most bike buyers have no interest in fuel economy and few manufacturers promote the figures. Research any prospective purchases carefully.

Got something for you mate :yes: why ride a bike that looks like and has the road presence of a 125 ???

Check out the honda varadero 125 , got one with 12000 miles on the clock for sale at £1100 pm me if interested

Also has a data tool alarm and imobiliser on it ;)

Edited by magman

don't buy an aprillia, the engines fall to bits and all the steel bits rust/sieze. had one apart for a local lad a few years back, one side of the spur gear from the starter motor to thje crank runs directly in the crank case, no bearing! hence why the starter wouldn't engage the crank. don't let the idea of a 2 stroke being messy and high maintenace put you off, they're great fun, find an old ts 125 or similar and spend the majority of your time on the back wheel :good:

I have owned 2 and 4 strokes over the years, 2 strokes are cheaper to service than 4 strokes and can be done at home, Not upto speed on modern small 4 strokes but if they use shims to adjust the tappets most home owners won't have the tools to do this.

The down side of a 2 stroke is they tend to be buzz boxes and as said before the power band can be narrow and peaky. While easier to service you will possably find you are stripping them more to replace piston rings and little end bearing. Hopefully now most 2 strokes have seperate 2 stoke oil tanks so theres no need to mix your petrol and oil at the pump, not seen a 2 stroke oil dispencer at fuel stations for years.

I myself would prefer a bike with proper size wheels rarther than one of the modern type of scooters (not the square section tyre type ones), They modern scooters have the advantage they will keep more of the UK's weather off you as they have fairings and screens as stanard and have luggage space to store your helmit etc.

I've always wanted a bike and now it seems the perfect time to get one and get some experience then do my direct access. I can't afford to do the DAS at the minute. So my question is what do you bikers recommend for my first bike. I've looked about the main ones that keep popping up are the Aprillia rs125, Honda cbr125 and the yamaha yzf125 (I think).

I will be using as a daily commute but only doing a round trip of about 5 miles a day. I've checked prices and insurance and I've got about £1500 to spend on the bike. I really like the Aprillia but have read that as it's a 2 stroke it requires alot more work and maintenance on it than the other two. As an ex car mechanic I don't mind getting my hands dirty but have never worked on bikes before.

ATB 425

I would get in touch with magman and his Honda or buy a Honda Vision 110, look after them and they run for years. The scooters are belt drive which is a bonus.

Got something for you mate :yes: why ride a bike that looks like and has the road presence of a 125 ???

Check out the honda varadero 125 , got one with 12000 miles on the clock for sale at £1100 pm me if interested

Also has a data tool alarm and imobiliser on it ;)

if i was you id have a look at this bike .

woldnot toch the aprilia with a barge pole as they cost loads to maintain abd spend moor time being repared than riden. also as you are a large gent id look at the enduro style as the race reps are ok for small 17 yr olds that screem the living daylights out of them hoping to get mac2 out of the little engines.

and yr back will hate you for it

if i was you id have a look at this bike .

woldnot toch the aprilia with a barge pole as they cost loads to maintain abd spend moor time being repared than riden. also as you are a large gent id look at the enduro style as the race reps are ok for small 17 yr olds that screem the living daylights out of them hoping to get mac2 out of the little engines.

and yr back will hate you for it

Actually I'd have to disagree there, the aprilia's are actually well put together and will last if looked after, I had an rs125 (about as highly strung an aprilia's as you'll get) and in 6 years all it ever needed was a balancer gear (which were made of nylon to help speed up response)

The varadero would be the perfect bike, sit up position an looks like a big bike.

Regards,

Gixer