Any bikers about, advice needed

This has got me thinking actually. I never use the clutch on upshifts, but because its like second nature to me, ive no idea how far i actually back of the throttle when I do it. I think i just back of the throttle slightly enough to let the gear slip out and slot into the next cog, then back on full throttle - but its such a quick process. I certainly dont close the throttle, just back off it very slightly to take some of the pressure off. Thats on standard bikes with no ignition cut outs or quick shift kits fitted.

Me too, it's all a bit instinctive - my foot puts slight pressure on the gear lever and it seems to naturally click up when I back off the throttle - couldn't say by how much though.

Think what you like - I know how I ride my bikes....stopping the throttle and closing are two different things.

You're right, stopping and closing are two different things. I checked out my 'style' today, it's a fractional shut off. Certainly not all the way, probably half an inch of movement but enough to take the drive off and a definite closing of the throttle. It makes for an almost instant change of gear at pretty much any speed.

I also tried your alleged method of holding the throttle steady and waiting for the bike speed to match engine revs while maintaining steady pressure through the change lever. I was surprised. Surprised that it changed up at all, but it did, albeit when the bike had almost stopped accelerating altogether. So it's possible, but mate, that is not a quick shift in any way.

Quickshifters are brilliant, I used one on my Gixer 750 track bike, but a bit much on the road.

Edited by -Mongrel-

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm...one bike??? Are you on drugs my good man? I'd hazard a guess I've had a bike from nearly all the main manufacturers bar trumpet and that includes 2 an 4 strokes, motocross, enduro, sports, naked, super sports, trials, v-twin, in-line fours....

Please don't leap to conclusions, as has been said by another poster with common sense - if looked after correctly the aprilia's will serve an owner well, the plastics are no different (grp) to other bikes , the frames were twin spar cradle alloy as per the 500gp bikes, the engines were made from total parts which were the British army bike maker of choice for a while...the common issues with the RS125 was a snapped power valve (called a "RAVE" valve) cable due to people wrongly adjusting them) and failures due to people throwing the cheapest mineral 2stroke in them...

My balancer gear issue was most likely due to travelling up and down to college from Aberdeen to Edinburgh with mine at motorway speeds.

It's the same load of tosh people speak about ducati's - yes they can have problems but usually it's down to neglect - and the jap 4's can also suffer this.

And I am in no way biased as you can probably figure from my user name my favourite steed has historically been Suzuki GSXR's (SRAD and K models)

Yes the Honda probably does have the reliability if you buy a CG or cbr 125 but to compare apples for apples you need to look at NSR125's compared to the aprilia's RS125 and I can assure you that the NSR was nowhere near the build quality of the priller - and I am entitled to comment as I owned Both of those!

Regards,

Gixer

Oh I did mean the one RS125 you have had. No I am not on drugs it was re-built and maintained regardless of cost. lovely bikes though.

You're right, stopping and closing are two different things. I checked out my 'style' today, it's a fractional shut off. Certainly not all the way, probably half an inch of movement but enough to take the drive off and a definite closing of the throttle. It makes for an almost instant change of gear at pretty much any speed.

I also tried your alleged method of holding the throttle steady and waiting for the bike speed to match engine revs while maintaining steady pressure through the change lever. I was surprised. Surprised that it changed up at all, but it did, albeit when the bike had almost stopped accelerating altogether. So it's possible, but mate, that is not a quick shift in any way.

Quickshifters are brilliant, I used one on my Gixer 750 track bike, but a bit much on the road.

And every gearbox on every bike is the same is it? :rolleyes:

As I said, I'll keep doing it my way and everyone else can do it the way they want...

Christ all mighty - all this over a guy looking for a commuter bike...

And every gearbox on every bike is the same is it? :rolleyes:

As I said, I'll keep doing it my way and everyone else can do it the way they want...

No it isn't, but my Gixer, Mille, Vfr vtec, CBR600, Fireblade and Thundercat all required the drive taken off the 'box. As you say though, you should carry on as you are and I'l stick with doing it the quick way. :)

Bit like shooting, if you miss then do the same thing again. :lol:

Edited by -Mongrel-

No it isn't, but my Gixer, Mille, Vfr vtec, CBR600, Fireblade and Thundercat all required the drive taken off the 'box. As you say though, you should carry on as you are and I'l stick with doing it the quick way. :)

Bit like shooting, if you miss then do the same thing again. :lol:

I'll bow to the macho list of bikes - you must be Barry sheene reincarnated... :rolleyes:

I'm heading back to my C50 to practice gear changes.... :(

Do a CBT then buy a CG or YBR mate,i used these at my bike school & didnt have any bother....,save ya money up,take the theory test and then use a reputable school for yor full test training,then of course the worlds your oyster :good: Read up on next years changes to the licencing to see whether it has an affect to you..

Edited by biketestace

I'll bow to the macho list of bikes - you must be Barry sheene reincarnated... :rolleyes:

I'm heading back to my C50 to practice gear changes.... :(

Hahahhaha, oooooh my sides, how DO you remain such a comic genius? :lol:

I've had my fair share of sports bikes and others, and I can ride a bit. Riding for twenty years, done a lot of trackdays on a lot of tracks, run mid pack in the fast group but no, you're right, I know nothing and immature ridicule is the way forward. :no:

Mind you, having established your ride, all becomes clear. Having a C50 you don't have a clutch and therefore don't understand how/when you might use it, or not.