What is the best shooting ground you have visited...?

Bigamos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marbella gun and country club (closed as far as I know) has been the best sporting ground I have shot.

Orston, Hodnet, Sporting Targets, (only 3 major grounds ive been to in the England)

North of the border would have to go to Braidwood,

Oh and Widdrington Gun Club in Northumberland, but I have a vested interest in that one :innocent:

:shaun:

Marbella gun and country club (closed as far as I know) has been the best sporting ground I have shot.

Orston, Hodnet, Sporting Targets, (only 3 major grounds ive been to in the England)

North of the border would have to go to Braidwood,

Oh and Widdrington Gun Club in Northumberland, but I have a vested interest in that one :innocent:

:shaun:

Shaun when is widdrington on? I normally shoot greenside and springwell but may have a run up your neck of the woods sometime :-)

Cheers

Tom

Edited by elgreco

I've yet to visit a "professional" ground of competition standard so my views are limited.

At "straw bale" shoots one makes allowances for lack of resources.

In between, at small commercial grounds, I always come away feeling that I wish that there had been a certain target that either had been previously available or that could easily have been made available. Certain ground(s) make you feel like a criminal if you report "no birds". If you're prepared to charge me then please provide me with what I want and accept that your traps are not perfect.

Unfortunately, here in the deep south, we have to travel miles to find a decent ground. Now that I'm semi-retired I must try harder to do so.

Hodnet is exceptional for the variety of targets available and I always enjoy missing the targets there!!! :hmm:

Up north, Spennymoor is always enjoyable and all the home disciplines on offer.

closely followed by marne clay shoot (cos it's cheap and the brews are free and I have a vetted interest in it lol) :good:

I'll drink to that , and the targets are good and so is the craike' from Auntie.

I think the best grounds are those that put clay shooting on week in week out , i love Hodnet but not enough sporting is held there, i also think Grimsthorpe is up there, Mark Russell and family put a great deal of effort in target presentation, ok the facilities may not be great but every effort is made to get the best out of the ground and shooters do apreciate that, but for me it has to be Southdown, The Fitasc sporting put on now at this ground is the best , facilities are good and the ground is putting something back into the sport.

Dennis

Hodnet far and away the very best shooting ground in Gt. Britain. But it really is all down to what you expect for your day out, Grimsthorpe, very pleasant, yet to hear a bad report about the place. Roundwood, beautiful but sadly under utilised nowadays. West London ( both of them) Holland & Holland, West Wycombe (correct name is EJ Churchill's) Glen Eagles, Chatcombe, Sporting Targets etc., All have appeal for various reasons.

But really for ambiance and targets, it has to be Hodnet.

Hodnet have small private groups going around most of the time normally doing 100/150 targets. Ring Tom up and ask him if you could perhaps join one of the groups when they are short on numbers. Hodnet is not your normal 10/15 stand layout,it maybe has at least 50 stands that it can use at any given time, so the targets are pretty much different every time you visit. You always go round with a grounds person who pushes the buttons and marks for your mini squad and is usually extreemly helpful with pointers and advice. from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

these all seem a bit 'up North'....

Down Sarth if you want biggest variety go Bisley Shooting Ground(2 grounds huge layout) West London & Royal Berkshire put on reasonable birds but are a bit land restricted and have to go with guide.H&H better wider layout.These all quite expensive. West Kent pretty good for self buttoning but bit limited.Southdown Gun club has sporting traps all laid out down 1 lane but they do put on excellent mix of challenging birds.....For coaching would put Bisley top,for competition/test yourself then Southdown. Royal Berkshire do a 'classic handicap' each Q1 of the year open to all....they put on a set and very good layout for that which is a 100 bird. You don't say where you are based but hope helps if you are bit further South than most of above posters.

atb.

I just looked up hodnet as have never shot there but it appears to be closed now at this time of year - have I misunderstood? I can't afford their corporate day thing, just wanted to try the sporting layout.

Tom & Deb are open for turn up and shoot on Tuesdays 12 pm to 4 pm (winter season) no pre-booking required, for skeet and guided sporting. As mentioned they have bookable days for 40 / 80 or 100 birds and other events. these are nomally advertised on the calender (looks like its waiting to be updated) http://www.wmsg.co.u...81/Default.aspx there is a good bunch of lads & ladies that go there including me :D, The markers as 100milesaway are helpful offering very good advice on your shooting.

Edited by BerettaSV10

Whilst I would generally agree that Hodnet (WMSG) is certainly among the very best shooting grounds in the UK, well from my limited knowledge of UK shooting grounds. I'm not particularly impressed with their catering, Usually shoot the Police shoot in March, the old Victory shoot in December and any major held there over the last 10 or so years. Targets are normally superb made even better by the topography. The clubhouse is great, I remember the first time I set eyes on it I was speechless, I'd only seen caravans and shipping containers before that.

Catering isn't bad but very limited choice and somehow doesn't have the premier "feel" that the rest of the set-up gives out. Admit that is only one aspect of any ground and probably the least importance (it must be as one of my current favorite grounds for target quality is Kegworth!) but in my opinion it should be taken into account when ranking grounds.

Think that for grounds that I regularly visit (100 mile radius from Warrington) the best catering is Fauxdegla, they have a decent clubhouse, decent targets but the potential for abysmal weather.

I'm quite liking this reviewing lark, think it could lead to me starting a website just to review grounds, eating places, markets, car boot sales etc. Oh hang on someone is already doing that and offering championship winning shooting tips for free. Can't compete with that!

Potter-Potter