Leighton Buzzard - Grand Union Canal - Pike?

Dan73

Hi all,

I've been trying to find out for a while if anyone has ever heard of a Pike being taken out of the Grand Union Canal in or around Leighton Buzzard? All the local tackle shops and Anglers have never heard of anyone pike fishing, let alone catching a pike.

There's plenty of carp and bream, and apparently the odd catfish escapee too. With the amount of gravel pits and the River Ouzel running right next to it I'm quite surprised that its not known for Pike.

I know that growing up in Hemel Hempstead, the Grand Union Canal had some big 'ol pike (and huge Perch too) - I had heard of these all the way up to Tring, and then whilst investigating the existence of Pike around Leighton Buzzard I found that Bletchley and Milton Keynes seem to have more than their fair share of canal Pike too.

I'm planning on taking a wander down there in the next week or so and chucking some small'ish lures/spinners around to see if I can find any but I was wondering if there are any local anglers on here who might know something about this?

Thanks all

I fish the Grand Union at Warwick and Birmingham and we have Pike, Zander and Large Perch in most stretches . I can't see why you should not get them down the whole length. When I fish in Brum people passing think I'm mad with four Rods out with fresh dead baits on but when they see you land a fish they are gob smacked

• 2 weeks later...

you will find a lot of local pike anglers any where int he coutnry will say theres no fish in there or send you ona wild pike chase as they tend to be rather protective of where they fish to protect the fish from poachers and inexperienced anglers

you will find a lot of local pike anglers any where int he coutnry will say theres no fish in there or send you ona wild pike chase as they tend to be rather protective of where they fish to protect the fish from poachers and inexperienced anglers

Correct as I get asked all the time where the good spots are on the Broads...not a chance of saying till I get to know the person asking

Correct as I get asked all the time where the good spots are on the Broads...not a chance of saying till I get to know the person asking

too right ! it took us 3 years of going down there twice a month to find out any info, can't blame em im the same with venues round here.

Agreed, and I'm as guilty as the next for keeping quiet about good areas, but this stretch - about 5 miles worth - literally does not have any Pike anglers! never seen or heard of any what so ever. The old local Angling Shop had never come across anyone predator fishing, nor has the Milton Keynes shops.

I'm going to give it a go - on a few lures, covering a lot of towpath - If I find any good sport, I'll take a picture, but not tell anyone which stretch it came from! :good:

Agreed, and I'm as guilty as the next for keeping quiet about good areas, but this stretch - about 5 miles worth - literally does not have any Pike anglers! never seen or heard of any what so ever. The old local Angling Shop had never come across anyone predator fishing, nor has the Milton Keynes shops.

I'm going to give it a go - on a few lures, covering a lot of towpath - If I find any good sport, I'll take a picture, but not tell anyone which stretch it came from! :good:

might be worth giving it a try during the hours of darkness either just after or just before it gets light theres a few places i fish that are seriously over fished by the noddies/sausage rolls or chavs and a total waste of time during the daylight hours but at night they fish their trolleys off ;)

it might jsut be the case that there are fish there but the people that fish for em don't fish during the day or don't talk about it locally i know lots of people myself included rarely buy any tackle locally not for secret squirrell reasons just because if you knwo what your after theres better deals to be had on the t'internet, i also fell out with my local tackle shop for selling ready made wire rigs that a roach could chew through and pike gags!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, just wondering if you had any luck finding any pike along the canal section Dan73?

Hi Zeroline,

Just Perch and small Chub, but it's quite good sport. I'm still going to give it another go as I cannot believe that they just don't exist in a good 5 mile stretch of the GUC.

Do you fish there much? any joy?

I went up that way this morning. Walked about 5 miles and caught 2 perch, the only two bites I had. There were a couple of matches on, but I don't think they had a bite between them. Probably not the best time to go there if you want to boost your confidence in the place, it did nothing for mine! :lol:

I've had some god results along the Aylesbury Arm, nothing bigger than around 5lb from memory, was around 3yrs ago, but great fun on light gear. There were rumours of a 20lb a few yrs back but our Polish friends have probably decimated stocks since I fished it last