?which Knife

docholiday

As a deer knife i cannot recomend the Buck Alpha crosslock folder enough. Its neat and compact twin blade folder (far less in your face than a fixed blade). Its second folding locking blade with gut hook and sternum saw combined (ideal for full suspended gralloch) the std knife blade is just big enough for Sika and Fallow bleeds though if you have big reds it can manage, just a little more messy.

It will also go through the dishwasher without any damage, been doing this to mine over 10yrs. Dont cut silly things like wood with it and touch it up lightly after each outing (never before its unlucky) and it will still be shaving sharp like mine after a decade of use. It is also quite useable on small game, though i preffer a more slender blade for this realy

I have an EKA swingblade which I bought for gralloching. Its an excellent design but I don't think it holds an edge that well. I have a little Buck Vantage I use for rabbits and the edge retention is far superior. I rate Buck knives for the money. I've used that knife for deer as well and as Apache suggests you really don't want or need big blades for gralloching. Skinning and jointing yes, but in the field many people are over tooled.

The guy I go stalking with whose done it for a living most of his life only carries an Arthur Wright lambsfoot penknife. It holds an edge and doesn't wear a hole in his pocket. Mind you he grallochs deer in seconds, back end, front end, middle out and done. I do find myself I need a minimum of a 4" blade to bleed the chest cavity.

I also prefer a fixed blade for gralloching as its messier job than paunching.

If you're planning to lose your gralloching knife every five minutes Moras are very popular.

Edited by Gimlet

Hi if you get a buck make sure it says usa on the blade these are the american made knifes and are superb , if it just says buck its made in china under buck supervision , and inferior in many ways , check out alloutdoors on the web , cheers

There's a man who knows his steel!! China buys all the steel they can get and dilutes it making inferior products (IMO) I prefer a fixed blade and like the Mora Knives from Sweden with a single bevel edge that is scary sharp and stays that way with little attention.

Have a look at Heinnie Hayes website, a great company who stock just about every knife under the sun. My favorite is Fallkniven great knifes, but once you visit HH website you are spoiled for choice there are also reviews buy other purchasers there as well.

Buy right and buy once.

:good: See also Boker

Have a look at Heinnie Hayes website, a great company who stock just about every knife under the sun. My favorite is Fallkniven great knifes, but once you visit HH website you are spoiled for choice there are also reviews buy other purchasers there as well.

Buy right and buy once.

That may be the worst website in the world to send someone to who can't decide which knife they want! So many I find it overwhelming. :D

That may be the worst website in the world to send someone to who can't decide which knife they want! So many I find it overwhelming. :D

True. But they're very accomodating if you order something and then decide it isn't what you wanted. Top marks for customer service with HH.

Has anybody actually got or used a BUCK Alpha Hunter

Yes i have one, its usefull for bleeding bigger deer or taking a neck mount trophy if that floats you boat due to the larger blade size than the crosslock alpha. I must have about a dozen various blades around the place and used to carry three clean ones in the field to avoid any slight chance of cross contamination from doing multiple deer in the day all with one knife. Those moras are realy good BTW very sharp and not overly wide for working around the rear end and cheap!

Does anyone ever actually use a gut hook? I've never had a knife with one but they look to me like they might just get in the way.

I do its very good for spliting the pelt away pulling back an inch or so either side before a suspended full gralloch in one. Clearing the skin an inch either side of the sturnum cut and stomach cut makes thge job neater and less likely to create contamination IMO. I have also started to use it to skin and dress Rabbits and hares more recently with it. I also have a Gerber hook that takes stanley knife blades and wouln't wish to be without it skinning out deer - its great on leg cuts. To be fair i would call them skinning hooks as the gut is easy to open with a std blade once exposed