New rabbiting setup

MG6065

Hi all, had my firearms meeting last night and have been granted a 22lr and 17hmr, I'm was planning on getting the 22 first but I'm not sure now, I want a rifle that will fit my needs, it's mostly going to be for use on the farm for rabbits and the like but would like to have the option to shoot a fox out Lamping if needs be, but rabbits are the priority for me, I'm swaying towards the 22 because they are so handy on the farm and ammo is so cheap, I've read infinite threads on here about 17hmr vs 22lr but I'm still not too sure?

Also whichever rifle I do decide on I'm going to buy a scope, moderator and bipod for it, I've heard good things about the cz's? What will I decent set up set me Back? Sorry if this topic has been covered a million times, all advice very much welcomed!

i have both calibres and the .22 is the one i reach for first,quiet,cheap to run and in my opinion the no1 rabbiting gun,the hmr is great for long range rabbits and fox at a suitable distance if your license allows it.Its really a question of how far away your shooting rabbits,with practice you can shoot rabbits with a .22 up to 100yds with an hmr 150yds,i had a cz but sold it and now have anschuz.Scope wise i have tried allsorts and now have a zeiss conquest 4.5-14x50 on the hmr and a mtc genesis on the .22 although i might sell the zeiss and buy another genesis.Used to have harris bi-pod but sold that as i always use quad sticks now

atb dave

Personally I use the .17hmr never bothered with a .22 yes there is the noise factor it does make a bit of a crack but when use with a night vision or IR the bunnies don't budge even after the shot. They figure no one can see them and they're safe and also like telf said great at a range. Though my land is a golf course which is open and long so depends on your land and what you think suits.

Your best option is to see if someone local has a Hmr you can try, it suits my needs well with plenty of bunnies and the odd fox. Yes it cracks a bit but it gives you a lot more range and oomph compared to the .22 you also will find you get next to no runners which happens with the .22 if the shot isn't spot on, get a body rather than head shot with the hummer and they go down even more positively

I have both but find i use the 22lr more as a fair few of my permissions at night are shall we say noise sensative :) plus its also cheaper to run than the .17. that said the .17 is a cracking tool on the right permission and the longer range of it over the 22lr and lack of richochet is very very handy.

Edited by luckytrigger

I'd like to think your feo would'nt give you permission to shoot foxes with a .22lr.

On the other hand, if he does i wouldn't shoot a fox with subsonic ammo as imo i don't think the round has the power to take a fox out cleanly and humanely. That is unless the barrel is stuck in his ear anyhow.....

I'd like to think your feo would'nt give you permission to shoot foxes with a .22lr.

On the other hand, if he does i wouldn't shoot a fox with subsonic ammo as imo i don't think the round has the power to take a fox out cleanly and humanely. That is unless the barrel is stuck in his ear anyhow.....

A 22 is more than capable of dispatching a fox at sensible ranges. :good:

Edited by Luckyshot

I think is usually the precursor on here to I haven't got a clue and once again its spot on.

At sub 50 yards if you take a chest shot on a fox you will drop it and quite often get an exit as well, if you head shoot only the lights just go out straight away. Its all bullet placement and keeping the range low. As a gun to shoot foxes while rabbiting its fine, not a dedicated fox gun but there isn't much better for despatching in snares etc