Muskets

^mimic^

Yep, Snotty was very helpful when I had a query about my musket. Have a look at the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (MLAGB) forum: http://www.mlagb.com/

Thanks , am i right in asuming these go on your firearms certificate or would it be shotgun being smooth bore im a little confused, Just iv'e been offered a really nice one and im seriously thinking about it :good:

Yep, Snotty was very helpful when I had a query about my musket. Have a look at the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (MLAGB) forum: http://www.mlagb.com/

Thanks , am i right in asuming these go on your firearms certificate or would it be shotgun being smooth bore im a little confused, Just iv'e been offered a really nice one and im seriously thinking about it :good:

A smoothbore musket is treated as a shotgun whereas a rifled 'musket' becomes section 1 and has to go on your FAC.

What have you been offered? :/

Paul

The musket that I had was in a non-firing state, but I would imagine that for a functioning piece you would also need to consider an Explosive Licence for blackpowder acquistion and use. Could well be wrong though.

well the guy said to me because its antique you dont need a to add it to your permit, only modern replicas made after a certain date (ie primer/percution cap ones) and that id only need request a Black powder permit, But he also said pyrodex (an alternative) didnt require a permit.

But i don't know i don't want to take it an then get a nasty suprise so im just gunner ring my F.L.O an find out for sure.

Oh I thought when you mentioned muzzle loading rifles you were going to use it. I'd recommend muzzle loading shooting if you like the look of antique things. They are great fun to use and VERY powerful things. I used to shoot a three band Enfield 1853 rifled musket. It was a .577 caiber with bullets weighing an ounce and a quarter (about 500 grain). Hilarious fun at a 900 fps. Trouble was, you came home with a face like a chimney sweep after an afternoon shooting it. I had an original bayonet on mine with three notches carved in it. The gun was a repro of course, and whoever mentioned the explosives licence is right of course if you wanted to use proper black powder. The thing was nearly as long as me (not quite) with a 33 inch barrel.

enfieldcoj8.gif

Maybe we should have the .177 or .577 for rabbits debate...

miniballgb7.jpg

I saw one of these go the thick way through a railway sleeper. The exit hole was the size of a tea cup and the bullet had flattened out to a huge mushroom about the diameter of an egg cup. Ok for fox do you think?

Oh I thought when you mentioned muzzle loading rifles you were going to use it. I'd recommend muzzle loading shooting if you like the look of antique things. They are great fun to use and VERY powerful things. I used to shoot a three band Enfield 1853 rifled musket. It was a .77 caiber with bullets weighing an ounce and a quarter (about 500 grain). Hilarious fun at a 900 fps. Trouble was, you came home with a face like a chimney sweep after an afternoon shooting it. I had an original bayonet on mine with three notches carved in it. The gun was a repro of course, and whoever mentioned the explosives licence is right of course if you wanted to use proper black powder. The thing was nearly as long as me (not quite) with a 33 inch barrel.

enfieldcoj8.gif

miniballgb7.jpg

Bloody right im gunner use it, Ive liked muskets ever since the first time i shot one (ten years ago) and nearly knocked me flying, filled the entire range with smoke and i couldnt see the target for ten minutes but Uh what a gun :good: I just need to find out for certain if being antique it still needs to go on my Fac or Sg certificate cuz that means making a variation :/

I know every catridge head will slag down muskets, But they have no idea what their missing out on, Wondefull guns ,Clunk, Spark , Fizel , WUPOOOW, Fire blast, Huge cloud of smoke a recoil that can knock over a horse, I dont care if i get a black face it's totaly worth it

Oh I thought when you mentioned muzzle loading rifles you were going to use it. I'd recommend muzzle loading shooting if you like the look of antique things. They are great fun to use and VERY powerful things. I used to shoot a three band Enfield 1853 rifled musket. It was a .577 caiber with bullets weighing an ounce and a quarter (about 500 grain). Hilarious fun at a 900 fps. Trouble was, you came home with a face like a chimney sweep after an afternoon shooting it. I had an original bayonet on mine with three notches carved in it. The gun was a repro of course, and whoever mentioned the explosives licence is right of course if you wanted to use proper black powder. The thing was nearly as long as me (not quite) with a 33 inch barrel.

enfieldcoj8.gif

miniballgb7.jpg

Bloody right im gunner use it, Ive liked muskets ever since the first time i shot one (ten years ago) and nearly knocked me flying, filled the entire range with smoke and i couldnt see the target for ten minutes but Uh what a gun :good: I just need to find out for certain if being antique it still needs to go on my Fac or Sg certificate cuz that means making a variation :/

If you do want to shoot it as other than a fun shotgun, do get a rifled musket like the Enfield. It comes in three lengths and my three band would group about two inches at a hundrd yards. Our club once set up a competition between us and the TA with 7.62 slrs. We won - I kid you not. I was the second worst of the four shooters from our club and only one of the TA shooters beat me! Laugh - we nearly cried. Then when we gave them a shot of our rifles and we shot theirs, we loaded them with 80 grains of FFG powder instead of the customary practice load of 52 grains. We were shooting prone and I watched my guy get pushed back six inches by the recoil and a six foot spout of flame came out the front. He nearly S*at himself. LOL.

Trying to shoot round ball out of a smooth bore musket at a target range is VERY frustrating. You'll get 24 inch groups if you are lucky at a hundred yards, wheras a good rifle will be around 2 or three inches. the main limitation is open sights, nit the rifle.

It is GREAT fun I promise you, but you'll have to use it at a range. I doubt the FLO will let you play around with it on a farm.

EDIT:

MOST IMPRTANT POINT MIMIC -

IF THIS IS A REAL ANTIQUE, FOR GOD'S SAKE DO GET IT PROOFED BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. YOU COULD END UP MINUS FINGERS OR HALF YOUR FACE OTHERWISE IF ITS RUSTED MUCH, AND IT WILL BE. THAT BLACK POWDER EATS UP BARRELS LIKE NOWT ELSE CAN. IT PRODUCES SULPHURIC ACID IF NOT CLEANED REALLY WELL.

we loaded them with 80 grains of FFG powder instead of the customary practice load of 52 grains. We were shooting prone and I watched my guy get pushed back six inches by the recoil and a six foot spout of flame came out the front. He nearly S*at himself. LOL.

Trying to shoot round ball out of a smooth bore musket at a target range is VERY frustrating. You'll get 24 inch groups if you are lucky at a hundred yards, wheras a good rifle will be around 2 or three inches. the main limitation is open sights, nit the rifle.

It is GREAT fun I promise you, but you'll have to use it at a range. I doubt the FLO will let you play around with it on a farm.

EDIT:

MOST IMPRTANT POINT MIMIC -

IF THIS IS A REAL ANTIQUE, FOR GOD'S SAKE DO GET IT PROOFED BEFORE YOU SHOOT IT. YOU COULD END UP MINUS FINGERS OR HALF YOUR FACE OTHERWISE IF ITS RUSTED MUCH, AND IT WILL BE. THAT BLACK POWDER EATS UP BARRELS LIKE NOWT ELSE CAN. IT PRODUCES SULPHURIC ACID IF NOT CLEANED REALLY WELL.

Lol thats a little mean I doubt they accepted a go on your gun again lol, Don't you worry mate im not that stupid Id never pull the trigger on something that wasnt tested :good: Not only do you put yourself at great risk but other shooters near you. Still good advice! ,Iv'e seen the aftermath of a 6 shooter pistol guy who didnt re test regularly... It wasnt pleasnt luckily no one else was hurt.

If you want to use it then it needs to go on a certificate regardless of how old it is or if it is an antique.

If it is smoothbore and you want to use lead shot then it can go on a SGC

If you want to use solid shot, i.e. a bullet then it needs to go on an FAC

Excellent thanks rarms I had a feeling it would.... :good: I smell variation coming lol

If you want to use it then it needs to go on a certificate regardless of how old it is or if it is an antique.

If it is smoothbore and you want to use lead shot then it can go on a SGC

If you want to use solid shot, i.e. a bullet then it needs to go on an FAC

Excellent thanks rarms I had a feeling it would.... :good: I smell variation coming lol

Seriously - if it's a smooth bore, keep it for the wall. If you want to shoot it like a rifle, get a rifle and you'll enjoy it so much more. i was SOOOO disappointed in my musket. I might as well have stood and thrown the ball down the range as far as accuracy was concerned, but the rifled musket built by parker hale was as good as any open sight rifle at a hundred yards. If I took care about casting the bullets and loading identical measures of powder it grouped fine - as fine as an open sight allowed anyhow. I wasted the money that I spent on that musket - really. It was hopeless on a range.