Sign in to follow this  
jimboozle

Alternatives to Sloe Gin

Chaps,

I made a batch of Sloe Gin this weekend, and whilst stood there pricking my berries (no euphemism) my mind started to wander to other possibilities in the hedgerow.

I've had success in the past with Blackberry Brandy, and was just wondering whether anyone had found another combination of booze and hedgerow treat that is worth the effort...

I look forward to some serious experimentation over the next few months!

Out of season at the mo, but strawberries work very, very well and blackberries and raspberries are great - I think the rule of thumb is kinda, if you can squish it, it makes booze good!

Out of season at the mo, but strawberries work very, very well and blackberries and raspberries are great - I think the rule of thumb is kinda, if you can squish it, it makes booze good!

Jim,

don't use squishy things if they smell bad and came from an animal.

Jim,

don't use squishy things if they smell bad and came from an animal.

He's not wrong!!

wild plums/bullace work brilliantly instead of sloes.

rosehip vodka

hazelnut liqueur is the best thing i've ever made.

i've posted recipes for all the above in the food section.

Just tasted some raspberry brandy that I made months ago and forgot it was still in the kilner, very nice. I dont like brandy and had a big bottle that I won in a draw ages ago. I think its gonna get used up now.

I had a tiny bit of rosehip vodka left which was a year old pretty much to the day, it was lovely. Nick - have you any of yours left?

Another absolute winner is blackcurrant vodka, I have a bush in the garden. Great stuff :good:

I too have posted that recipe somewhere.

Raspberry vodka

Great tipple, also try cherry brandy, when the cherries are good, also remember to keep your sloes after the gin and cover with sherry :P

Edited by henry d

I had a tiny bit of rosehip vodka left which was a year old pretty much to the day, it was lovely. Nick - have you any of yours left?

None from the original batch 2 years ago.

I have half a bottle from last year though

just made my batch of sloe gin, going to have a go at raspberry brandy and blackberry brandy, do i just make it the same as sloe gin - 140 gram suger, half bottle of brandy , then fill with berries ?

theres a litre of greek brandy 4 peeled n chopped pears and 2 spoons of brown sugar growling in my flask ,boy is it smelling good christmas i may get my sight back after 3 days drunk.gif