I want a defender! Am I mad?

12borejimbo

I own a defender (1992 200tdi) and love it. It's not the fastest or most comfortable thing but driving it is a real (enjoyable) experience. I use mine purely for shooting so can't comment from a work.commuting perspective. I test drove a L200 prior to buying one and thought it was awful. Felt like i was sat on a chair with an engine attached, boring to drive and no discernable performance edge over the defender. I have also been out for a test drive in one of the brand new defenders. That was a vast improvement on mine (from a driving perspective) i think the smoother engine and 6th gear help road driving but it wasn't the 'experience' driving mine is.

I am not much of a mechanic but have been able to resolve any issues that have come up on mine. Mostly involving water getting in! Some people might start scoffing about how their (much newer) truck doesn't have these issues but I don't think it's unreasonable for some seals to go after 20 years! The fact i could have the roof/sides off in about 20 minutes using a socket set was a treat and gave me a sense of satisfaction resolving issues myself.

The main thing i would like to change is the van sides for station wagon ones as i find it difficult to see oncoming traffic when turning out of some roads...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has said previously most of the defender bashing is because people have brought cheap vehicles and then whinge when they go wrong, if you can't afford to get a decent example you are heading for trouble, as I've said my woman's Defender puma is a cracking vehicle but would I go for an older vehicle probably not..........

Edited by tigger

I have a defender 90 hard top, and yes its **** compared to other vehicles in many ways - but I love it!!

Its quintessentially part of the fabric of the countryside, a british icon for better or worse! For me I find it comfortable, although the longest journey i've done has only been a 350mile round trip in a day - no problems.

I drive a Ford Ranger at work and whilst I love that too... its not a Defender! But, I would rather drive the Ranger on the road.

If you have any doubts, don't buy a Defender.... If you don't care - buy one!

Edited by Double Trouble

Hi,

Your not mad, just a little insane, though that has to be said for all Land Rover drivers,.. Having owned something with a green oval for the past 12 years I wouldn't be without one... Yes you hear the horror stories and there are many, but its like any vehicle, they have there good ones and there very bad ones! If you haven't already done so, try and borrow one for a few days to see how you can get one with it. Ive a 300Tdi 90 which is excellent, we took her on a little road trip in October, down to the South of France and we played the toll road avoidance game, she even got a duty free run to Andorra with fuel there being about 90pence a ltr... Over the 2500miles we did she didnt miss a beat... But shes a good one and I do try to take care of her....

• 2 weeks later...

Land rover is like shredded wheat, you get the taste and wonder why you dont have one... Then you get one and remember why you dont eat them any more. Proper **** motors. Land rover havnt made a single good vehicle to date. Im had a series 3, a defender a 200tdi disco and a p38... All rubbish.

I would rather go to work in a bowl of shredded wheat...

you know the saying about the 25 year old broom its only had 12 new heads and 5 new handles that is why old landies are on the road :good:

Except that just isn't a true statement is it?. They are normally pretty original. Sure, all will have consumables replaced but with the astro-miles they cover is that surprising?

How many 25-yr old Japanese 4x4s are still on the road at that age, let alone commanding anything like the money that a Defender/Series truck does?

The financial arguement for a Land Rover is usually pretty easy, you will get back more-or-less what you pay for them after a few years... just about everything else on the road will dive in value.

We sold a very original and tidy 20yr old 90 Turbo Diesel (non-TDI), which was worth 50% of what it was when new - now thats good depreciation :good:

Except that just isn't a true statement is it?. They are normally pretty original. Sure, all will have consumables replaced but with the astro-miles they cover is that surprising?

while consumables include the engine gearbox and chassis its quite easy to keep them going ;)

you have to look at the comparison when they put the same parts into something not built of aluminium like a disco they never seem to last that long.

Its just the aluminium bits that mean they last