I want a defender! Am I mad?

12borejimbo

I drive a twin cab ford ranger pickup with mud tyres on and I must say it's great, mates got one too, but in a weird way and I'm not sure why but I really want a defender? Thinking of a 90 van back style! But they are stupid money for what you get ! £3000 would get me an old C plate or something! I could get another ranger but with a lot more bits for that on! So what am I thinking? I will admit they do have something about them! Although I have never driven one!

So who's been in the same position as me or who's taken the plunge?

Edited by 12borejimbo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a twin cab ford ranger pickup with mud tyres on and I must say it's great, mates got one too, but in a weird way and I'm not sure why but I really want a defender? Thinking of a 90 van back style! But they are stupid money for what you get ! £3000 would get me an old C plate or something! I could get another ranger but with a lot more bits for that on! So what am I thinking? I will admit they do have something about them! Although I have never driven one!

indeed what are you thinking,i would stick with the ranger imho,terrrible driving position in a defender,unreliable,oil leaking,clutch eating,hockey stick bush wearing,drive member killing,sluggish,bad handling peice of ****..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that is just my opinion as i fix them daily,and hate them with a passion,so my tin hat is on and i am now ducking for cover from the defender owners lol

indeed what are you thinking,i would stick with the ranger imho,terrrible driving position in a defender,unreliable,oil leaking,clutch eating,hockey stick bush wearing,drive member killing,sluggish,bad handling peice of ****..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!that is just my opinion as i fix them daily,and hate them with a passion,so my tin hat is on and i am now ducking for cover from the defender owners lol

Hahaha a top man! I think I have heard about the right arm knock when going round a corner or a roundabout! I'm quite a big lad so I would struggle a bit! 6 foot with a 46" chest.

You`ll regret it if you do......

You will 100% regret it my friend unless you get one of the more modern puma type ones, if you want to freeze including windows on the inside be uncomfortable breakdown at any point fail to start you will need a full set of tools a friend with a reliable 4x4 deep pockets spend £100's on security struggle on faster roads then go ahead been there done that regretted every second especially in the winter I went with a L200 and never regretted a second of it so my advise is do it at your peril

I have one and love it, so far its been reliable and dosnt drink too much fuel, as long as you dont boot it. Im 6.4 and dont find it uncomfortable. There are a few ways of getting more leg room buy removing the rear bulk head and using different seat rails.

So far ive rescued a nissan nivara and my brothers ford ranger when they got stuck in the mud. (actually means nothing as i was the only one with mud tyres on)

I actually borrowed my brothers ranger and i was really impressed, you get alot more car for your money

Edited by Only1cliff

I have just sold my Defender after 3.5 years of fun with it, dont believe all the **** people on here spout about them as most of them cannot of even driven one judging by their remarks. Mine was a 95 N and it had quite a few extras fitted and I sold it for £2000 so they are not always expensive.

I removed the top half of the rear bulkhead from my Defender which gave me no less leg room tan any other 4x4 and Im also 6ft 2" and 16 stone. As far as oil leaks go yes they nearly all leak oil but so what it dosent effect the running in any way. My defender had 190,000 miles on her and I only put the second replacement clutch in her as the clutch fork popped one night when I was out lamping so whilst gearbox was out it would have been daft not to for the sake of £65. As for slugish and bad handling for a man that fixes Landrovers you obviously havent driven many Defenders as mine would sit at 85 no problem and go round any corner a twin cab pickup would and come out the other side in front.

That's settled my mind a bit! There is so much practicality about my pickup! Electric windows, central locking, a heater!! Lol 4 seats and a load area, but the defender just strikes me for some reason!

Some Defenders are practical to mine had PAS,EW,RCL a pretty decent heater 4 seats on board sat nav car computer 19" screen in dash 240v power supply just to name a few things.

i will strike you alright straight in the pocket

Mot wise in 3.5 years mine cost me 1 wiper and a rear shocker bush expensive motoring at £5.99

had one at work for a while, it was only 2 years old and was horrible to drive, drank deisel for fun and you needed legs like arnie to use the clutch round town.

Granted they are not great on diesel mine was just shy of 30mpg on the road and about 25mpg off road it was a 300tdi. As for the clutch they are hydraulic and very very light if you think they are heavy try pressing my peugeot partner clutch and you will realise what a heavy clutch feels like.

You will 100% regret it my friend unless you get one of the more modern puma type ones, if you want to freeze including windows on the inside be uncomfortable breakdown at any point fail to start you will need a full set of tools a friend with a reliable 4x4 deep pockets spend £100's on security struggle on faster roads then go ahead been there done that regretted every second especially in the winter I went with a L200 and never regretted a second of it so my advise is do it at your peril

What and an L200 is classed as a reliable 4x4. :lol:

If you want one then try one for yourself, you never know you may even like it. :good:

I have just sold my Defender after 3.5 years of fun with it, dont believe all the **** people on here spout about them as most of them cannot of even driven one judging by their remarks. Mine was a 95 N and it had quite a few extras fitted and I sold it for £2000 so they are not always expensive.

I removed the top half of the rear bulkhead from my Defender which gave me no less leg room tan any other 4x4 and Im also 6ft 2" and 16 stone. As far as oil leaks go yes they nearly all leak oil but so what it dosent effect the running in any way. My defender had 190,000 miles on her and I only put the second replacement clutch in her as the clutch fork popped one night when I was out lamping so whilst gearbox was out it would have been daft not to for the sake of £65. As for slugish and bad handling for a man that fixes Landrovers you obviously havent driven many Defenders as mine would sit at 85 no problem and go round any corner a twin cab pickup would and come out the other side in front.

Some Defenders are practical to mine had PAS,EW,RCL a pretty decent heater 4 seats on board sat nav car computer 19" screen in dash 240v power supply just to name a few things.

Mot wise in 3.5 years mine cost me 1 wiper and a rear shocker bush expensive motoring at £5.99

Granted they are not great on diesel mine was just shy of 30mpg on the road and about 25mpg off road it was a 300tdi. As for the clutch they are hydraulic and very very light if you think they are heavy try pressing my peugeot partner clutch and you will realise what a heavy clutch feels like.

If you want one then try one for yourself, you never know you may even like it. :good:

just my own experience of them fella, compared to my car and other vans etc at work the clutch felt very heavy, a friend had one that was a 2001 model and that felt the same, although he didnt have it long as someone nicked it of his drive, all things considered if i could afford a shooting bus as well as my car it would be a 90 defender hard top.

I've got a 1992 j plate defender which I just paid £3100 for. Drove it 200 miles home with no problem So they are out there at the right price. I've had landrovers for the past 10 years as my everyday ride .

They are not as bad as people make out . Dont believe the hype . These are the same people who tell you You must have a Berretta or a Browning as all other guns are inferiour . Reliability is the same as any other vehicle . It's just that landrovers stay around longer . How many other makes and models will still be on the road are 25+ years old . Parts are dirt cheap . There are lots of people out there that love or hate them . You will never know until you own one and develope a feeling for its quirks . If you want to sit at 80 all day long on the motorway then you made the wrong choice . If you want to plod around but go anywhere you please then it's the one for you .

You pay your money and make your choice

My comments are from experience I had one for 10 years my girlfriend still does for horses her's is a puma edition so has very few problems my older 90 was plagued with problems even with it being in reasonable condition for its age, my L200 is everything my old landy wasn't and has never skipped a beat with decent tyres is gone everywhere my 90 did but is much more practicable and comfortable so I no a bit about ownership thanks.......