I want a defender! Am I mad?

12borejimbo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I to have a defender it's one of those things you love or hate !!??!! Before I got mine I was out with lucky shot in his 90 we were on my permission going down a track without problems the same track I got stuck in with my fonty a week before which I had to be pulled out by the farm tractor :-0

I'd love to see the evidence of sitting at 85 and going round corners far faster than a crew cab :whistling:

my thinking is it would be both scary and the end result would equate to one mangled landrover

300TDI 90 ? No problem. And it would steer dead straight at 85 IF maintained. Biggest problem is with LR's that folk can't afford a good one so buy a knacker then slag them off rather than admit they bought something cheap.

There's a reason they're so expensive and sought after,................. folk want them. I'd like to see any jap 4x4 worth more in 5 years than you paid for it :hmm:

300TDI 90 ? No problem. And it would steer dead straight at 85 IF maintained. Biggest problem is with LR's that folk can't afford a good one so buy a knacker then slag them off rather than admit they bought something cheap.

There's a reason they're so expensive and sought after,................. folk want them. I'd like to see any jap 4x4 worth more in 5 years than you paid for it :hmm:

Yeah I agree with you on a few points my woman's puma was £22,000 and I think it's awesome but the older types are very hit and miss as I and a few of my friends have found out...

Well said. I drive a Series 2 daily and use it for long journeys. The driving position is the best out of any car I've driven. Nice and up right with awesome visibility. As for reliability - as long as you maintain them they last for ever and parts are dirt cheap. Sounds like you're afraid of getting your hands dirty. They're also a lot more fun to drive than any car.

If you're worried about economy buy a cruddy little eurobox. Land Rovers are based on smiles per mile.

And of course they go anywhere with a bit of skill! As well as looking the dog's ******** and being able to hose the inside out once a year after wearing muddy boots all over those lovely big pedals.

You won't regret buying one unless you're a bit of shirt lifting sissy boy.

I'd love to see the evidence of sitting at 85 and going round corners far faster than a crew cab :whistling:

my thinking is it would be both scary and the end result would equate to one mangled landrover

In a decent 300tdi 85 mph isnt a problem at all, mind you the mpg drops through the floor and as for handling yes they have a load of body movement but the wheels are always firmly on the deck. I would have put my Defender up against any jap 4x4 of the same value and it would be interesting to see which came out on top.

2.5na in it! It'll do 200 miles on £20! Unlike my 90 which might make it to the end of the street on £20 petrol (if it's downhill with wind behind us!!) :lol:

come on no landy does 200 miles on £20 there is stretching the delusion just a little too far :lol: by my maths thats about 60mpg

Edited by al4x

i don't see how poeple can say they don't handle well,my old 90 had a 4" suspension lift and 36" tyres, it handled and cornered better than most jap 4x4 pick ups because it was heavier.i remember driving someones hi-lux a few years ago,i drove it like a land rover and it was all over the road because it was so light,it handled a lot better on the way home with half a ton of grass seed on the back! and don't listen to folk saying the heaters are rubbish,all are land rovers have had brilliant heaters.

I had a series for 10 years then after going in my mates 1986 defender i bought a 300tdi and dont regret it now in my 4th year with it, 24mpg min 30mpg max very reliable 132,000 miles never leaks or burns oil in between changes,look after them and they will last, people abuse them because they are a work horse then wonder why they break

i don't see how poeple can say they don't handle well,my old 90 had a 4" suspension lift and 36" tyres, it handled and cornered better than most jap 4x4 pick ups because it was heavier.i remember driving someones hi-lux a few years ago,i drove it like a land rover and it was all over the road because it was so light,it handled a lot better on the way home with half a ton of grass seed on the back! and don't listen to folk saying the heaters are rubbish,all are land rovers have had brilliant heaters.

, I can't say I agree with that entirely I've not noticed handling issues with my l200 decent tyres on it and its quite good I drive my woman's defender puma regularly and that's a good handling truck my older 90 type handled like a pig but had few mods no doubt with some it would have been better.....

Edited by tigger

landrover must be doing something right because 70% of there vehicles are still on the road i got a freelander for my sins not best car i ever owned but goes places my other cars cant

Now they are bad vehicles certainly damaged land rovers reputation that's for sure.....

I have a 2012 110 and had an old one for years before hand, you can keep all the jap stuff you want if that floats your boat, but for me would never be without one as long as I go shooting,

I do see some complete tosh written about them by the same few people on here, hey ho Lifes to short and I have great fun in mine, I am 6'3" tall and find mine very comfortable and its a damn sight easier to get in and out of than my BMW. it is eavy on fuel but it weighs a couple of tons so no surprise there