I want a defender! Am I mad?

12borejimbo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come on no landy does 200 miles on £20 there is stretching the delusion just a little too far :lol: by my maths thats about 60mpg

Aye... Even if it's being towed it's going to leak it out faster than that! :lol:

Joking aside I've had three Defenders, three L200's and a Ranger (my current truck). The Ranger uses more diesel than the Defenders did but offers more comfort. Off road the Defender beats them all hands down. The last L200 cost me more in repair bills than my last ('97) Defender Hi-Cap cost me to buy!

The Defenders did leak a little but only tiny amounts. They were cold too and draughty, noisy and slow. Lets face it you need to be a Defender driver to put up with them. Strangely though I'm currently looking at 130 crew cabs to replace the Ranger. I miss being able to ram stuff when it's in the way (gates, fences, small trees etc).

The best day I ever had at work was largely down to my Hi-Cap. A woman wanted a tree cut down and the roots dug out for a driveway to go in... I drove in through the dry stone wall where the gate was going to go, rammed the tree over, strapped it to the winch bumper and reversed out the way I came in with the tree trailing after me. Job done! :o

Always had Defenders, reliable, contrary to what the townies on here say.

I was reading today that the police are stopping twin cabs for speeding, apparently they are not allowed

to go as fast as Defenders etc ?.

Perhaps somebody on here will have heard it as well, it was on a farm bulletin, but gave no details.

Aye... Even if it's being towed it's going to leak it out faster than that! :lol:

Joking aside I've had three Defenders, three L200's and a Ranger (my current truck). The Ranger uses more diesel than the Defenders did but offers more comfort. Off road the Defender beats them all hands down. The last L200 cost me more in repair bills than my last ('97) Defender Hi-Cap cost me to buy!

The Defenders did leak a little but only tiny amounts. They were cold too and draughty, noisy and slow. Lets face it you need to be a Defender driver to put up with them. Strangely though I'm currently looking at 130 crew cabs to replace the Ranger. I miss being able to ram stuff when it's in the way (gates, fences, small trees etc).

The best day I ever had at work was largely down to my Hi-Cap. A woman wanted a tree cut down and the roots dug out for a driveway to go in... I drove in through the dry stone wall where the gate was going to go, rammed the tree over, strapped it to the winch bumper and reversed out the way I came in with the tree trailing after me. Job done! :o

and then sold it and someone on pigeon watch spent the rest of the year moaning about it and the amount of repairs it needed :ermm::whistling::P

Mine is a 1986 ex military (Royal Marine) 90.

Had it nearly six years.

2.5 non turbo.

Hard top (now).

Shooting hatch and gun box on top.

Lights all over for lamping etc.

Kept in good nick - everything works

No idea how much fuel it drinks. (Don't want to know!).

Short distances only - no long trips.

Never been bogged in - off road nearly all the time - used every day.

It is definitely NOT for sale! Just love it.

Ps - She's my fourth landy.

Always had Defenders, reliable, contrary to what the townies on here say.

I was reading today that the police are stopping twin cabs for speeding, apparently they are not allowed

to go as fast as Defenders etc ?.

Perhaps somebody on here will have heard it as well, it was on a farm bulletin, but gave no details.

Landrover changed the classification of all defender's to a commercail vehicle a few years ago (got around some EU **** by doing it), so by law you can only do 60 on the motorway like a van.

A little hard if you are been pulled over but it is the law.

Landrover changed the classification of all defender's to a commercail vehicle a few years ago (got around some EU **** by doing it), so by law you can only do 60 on the motorway like a van.

A little hard if you are been pulled over but it is the law.

thats nearly entirely tosh, on the motorway a sub 3.5t commercial can do 70 as it can on a dual carriageway if it has a 70 sign however when the dual carriageway is marked with a national speedlimit sign you are indeed restricted to 60.

get one !

i had a tomb raider 90 td5 and i regret selling it its worth more now than when i owned it

the clutches are heavy heaters are **** but they do demist if you set temp to middle as it says in hand book!

off road they are great and good to tow with

you get used to the lack of cab space only a pain when parking in a tight space as steering wheel is tight to door ELBOWS!!! ok with window open!!

mine was very reliable apart from a few build issues on the finish which can be fixed easily

mine did about 30mpg but anything over sixty and they get a bit thirsty

yeh they might be dear to buy but you get your money back if you sell it !

wish i still had mine as i replaced with a premium brand 4x4 and have lost a fortune in depreciation

I'm still torn, I want one quite badly but all that's out there is tat! The pickup is handy for putting stuff in the back and going to the builders yard in! I have got £3000 that would be including part exchanging my truck I'm nit sure what to do! Mot in 2 weeks and just bought 6 months tax!

My 110 is only 23 years old, and has done 188k miles in its 200tdi. I use it for work and play, every week of the year. It has always got me home, though has had a problem or two. It is reasonably well maintained, slightly abused and just keeps going. In the time i have had it, my wife has had 3 cars, i have had 4 and is just still starts, drives and gets on with it. I have had more comfortable cars, but my last, a jag cost more to service than the landy did in annual costs, including insurance, mot and road tax.

In winter it has towed my wifes skoda yeti 4x4 up our drive when it got stuck, and has towed a shogun, with a boat attached off a beach. Few cars last as long, classic cars the age of a series one or two are kept in heated garages, landys that age tow horse boxes.

They are drafty, smelly, slow and use fuel, but are the cheapest car i have ever owned over a prolonged period. Mine will do 70ish, returns about 30mpg, and if i had to go 1000 miles tomorrow i would chose it over my disco td5 or wifes new car. I would just did the oil, check the tyre pressures and drive. Last week a focus reversed into it. The spare wheel went through his window, and tow bar went through his hatch back. I am yet to find a mark on the landy.

They are heavy and everything is loose, but this means they have plenty of tolerance to wear and last. Basically, if you shoot a 30 year old gun, and have old but quality long lasting kit then get a landy. If you want the latest fastest and best get a modern jap 4x4, and replace it with a better one every 3 years. It will cost you way more, but will probably never give you a problem.

A friend of mine had a newish defender he went in to the back of something that stopped a bit quick ( no comment about his driving ) instead of getting it repaired he swapped it in for a mitsubishi 4door pickup and he tells me that it is so much nicer to drive than the old defender that he would never go back to one again.

A friend of mine had a newish defender he went in to the back of something that stopped a bit quick ( no comment about his driving ) instead of getting it repaired he swapped it in for a mitsubishi 4door pickup and he tells me that it is so much nicer to drive than the old defender that he would never go back to one again.

So was it written off ? It'd have to be cos defenders are fairly solid things (unless it was a very old wreck). The defender bashing on this forum is quite funny really, wonder how many hilux, warrior, navarra (£35k !!!) etc will be running in 20 years

So was it written off ? It'd have to be cos defenders are fairly solid things (unless it was a very old wreck). The defender bashing on this forum is quite funny really, wonder how many hilux, warrior, navarra (£35k !!!) etc will be running in 20 years

The reason that he changed it was that it was a short w/b hard top one and he wanted a four seater pickup as he used it to carry logs etc I am only going by what he told me but he said that he much preferred driving the mitsubishi to the defender.

Having said that if I could afford one I would love to have an old LR that has had the chassis replaced with a new galvanized one with no road tax to pay and only having to replace worn out parts that is my idea of cheep motoring but then I only do about 5.000 miles a year so I am not bothered about comfort.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

If you want a four seater pick up, a two seater commercial is probably not the wright truck for you... LOL

I think defenders -and all landrovers- are great. Love to drive and love to have them! I know a lot of others hate them. Jimny 's, rangers, shogun's and others are very good cars (at least I think they must be because people over here keep in shouting that these cars can do do everything and keep on going and going and going...). I've had a few other make 4x4's, and they all had their problems. There's no point in comparing a two year old ranger to a twenty year old landrover, but if you want to compare these motors I would still take the landrover any day...

. There's no point in comparing a two year old ranger to a twenty year old landrover...

I agree with that.

I just can't get my head around the price people will pay for a land rover. I've got a series 3 which i hope, when I sell it, will raise enough money to get a P38 diesel.

What's that all about?

It's like comparing an Austin 7 and a Bentley!

It's great for the things I use it for: driving around our shoot, lamping and the odd day shooting on friends shoots near where I live. It's simple to maintain and spare parts are cheap -yes, things break, and things do go wrong-.

I'm so used to the uncomfortable comfort of a series that when I drive a defender it's almost like driving a comfortable car:-)

I won't say a p38 is a bad choice, but I would go for a td5 disco or a 300tdi disco if you don't want the electickery. Seen to many problems with p38's to like them...

Edited by Fib new

you see welsh lamb in any other vehicle that wouldn't be such an achievement to shout about :lol: I did the same on Sunday I'm not deaf it cost me £65 or so got out the other end and you'd hardly known i'd done it. Then went out for an evenings lamping in the mud no problems